Multiple Internet connections with CARP

Bo Rising Rasmussen
Hi all,

I have searched a bit now, and have not seen anything on this subject.

I have 2 different internet connections, which I would like to use for
my CARP setup. I was thinking that they would connect to a switch, and
from there 2 lines going to each firewall, and then make some CARP setup
for those two lines.

Anyone knows if this could be done?

Regards,

Bo

Re: Multiple Internet connections with CARP

Joachim Schipper
On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 09:13:36AM +0100, Bo Rising Rasmussen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have searched a bit now, and have not seen anything on this subject.
>
> I have 2 different internet connections, which I would like to use for
> my CARP setup. I was thinking that they would connect to a switch, and
> from there 2 lines going to each firewall, and then make some CARP setup
> for those two lines.
>
> Anyone knows if this could be done?
>

> Regards,
>
> Bo

Yes, but the switch would still be a single point of failure.

                Joachim

Joachim Schipper wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 09:13:36AM +0100, Bo Rising Rasmussen wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I have searched a bit now, and have not seen anything on this subject.
>>
>>I have 2 different internet connections, which I would like to use for
>>my CARP setup. I was thinking that they would connect to a switch, and
>>from there 2 lines going to each firewall, and then make some CARP setup
>>for those two lines.
>>
>>Anyone knows if this could be done?
>>

>>Regards,
>>
>>Bo
>>

>Yes, but the switch would still be a single point of failure.
>
> Joachim

Yes, you are correct on that. But is there something special I have to
set up on the gateways, for this to work? Or should I just follow the
manual, and set it up as if I had two gateways?

Thanks for the help already!

Regards,

Bo

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 10:01:21AM +0100, Bo Rising Rasmussen wrote:

> Joachim Schipper wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 09:13:36AM +0100, Bo Rising Rasmussen wrote:
> >

> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>I have searched a bit now, and have not seen anything on this subject.
> >>
> >>I have 2 different internet connections, which I would like to use for
> >>my CARP setup. I was thinking that they would connect to a switch, and
> >>from there 2 lines going to each firewall, and then make some CARP setup
> >>for those two lines.
<SNIP>
> ... is there something special I have to
> set up on the gateways, for this to work? Or should I just follow the
> manual, and set it up as if I had two gateways?
>
> Thanks for the help already!
>
> Regards,
>
> Bo

You'll want to make sure that when the outer interface fails over, so
does the internal one. This has been discussed on this list quite a few
times - it involves the preempt option, see carp(4).

Other than that, setting up carp is relatively straightforward.

                Joachim

Joachim Schipper wrote:

><SNIP>
>

>>... is there something special I have to
>>set up on the gateways, for this to work? Or should I just follow the
>>manual, and set it up as if I had two gateways?
>>
>>Thanks for the help already!
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Bo
>>

>You'll want to make sure that when the outer interface fails over, so
>does the internal one. This has been discussed on this list quite a few
>times - it involves the preempt option, see carp(4).
>
>Other than that, setting up carp is relatively straightforward.
>
> Joachim

Hi Joachim,

Well, then I will be doing that.

Thank you for your input!