Multi-tabbed Terminal

Clint Pachl
Can anyone recommend a light-weight multi-tabbed terminal for OBSD 3.9?
I looked through the i386 packages, but didn't notice any. I'm using FVWM2.

I have used mrxvt, materm.sourceforge.net, on FreeBSD in the past and
really liked it; minimal dependencies and small memory foot print. I
just tried to compile mrxvt-0.4.2 on OBSD, but it failed.

-pachl

Re: Multi-tabbed Terminal

Aaron Campbell-3
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Clint Pachl wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a light-weight multi-tabbed terminal for OBSD 3.9? I
> looked through the i386 packages, but didn't notice any. I'm using FVWM2.

Try the fluxbox window manager.  You can tabify any window by
center-click + dragging one on top of another.  Typically I'll have a
bunch of xterms tabbed together, and on another desktop I'll group
together larger windows (such as a single full-screen window containing
Firefox running in one tab, and Acrobat Reader in another).

Alternatively, KDE comes with a multi-tab capable terminal, but I prefer
something much lighter weight.

-aar

Re: Multi-tabbed Terminal

Maxim Bourmistrov
It compiles and works here.
Just comment out "The ugly hack for OpenBSD":
/*
# ifdef OS_OPENBSD
typedef unsigned int    _our_wint_t;
typedef struct {
        int __count;
        union {
                _our_wint_t     __wch;
                char            __wchb[4]
        } __value;
} mbstate_t;
# endif
*/

On Friday 04 August 2006 19:02, you wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a light-weight multi-tabbed terminal for OBSD 3.9?
> I looked through the i386 packages, but didn't notice any. I'm using FVWM2.
>
> I have used mrxvt, materm.sourceforge.net, on FreeBSD in the past and
> really liked it; minimal dependencies and small memory foot print. I
> just tried to compile mrxvt-0.4.2 on OBSD, but it failed.
>
> -pachl

Re: Multi-tabbed Terminal

asmith-4
The last time I looked at this there seemed to be only gnome-terminal and
Konsole in the ports tree that fulfilled this. Neither of these could really
be considered light weight though.

I will watch this thread with interest if anyone has a port of something
decent that is small enough to run effectively on my Zaurus :P

-Andy

-pachl

Re: Multi-tabbed Terminal

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 10:02:50AM -0700, Clint Pachl wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a light-weight multi-tabbed terminal for OBSD 3.9?
> I looked through the i386 packages, but didn't notice any. I'm using FVWM2.
If I recall correctly ``sakura'' does it, I have a port lying around
here somewhere, but there were minor issue. Will look at it later.

cheers,
jasper

--
Humppa is a serious thing!
NedBSD: http://nedbsd.nl

Re: Multi-tabbed Terminal

Maxim Bourmistrov
Forgot to mention the file.
It's src/rxvt.h

On Friday 04 August 2006 19:37, Maxim Bourmistrov wrote:

> It compiles and works here.
> Just comment out "The ugly hack for OpenBSD":
> /*
> # ifdef OS_OPENBSD
> typedef unsigned int    _our_wint_t;
> typedef struct {
>         int __count;
>         union {
>                 _our_wint_t     __wch;
>                 char            __wchb[4]
>         } __value;
> } mbstate_t;
> # endif
> */
>
> On Friday 04 August 2006 19:02, you wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a light-weight multi-tabbed terminal for OBSD 3.9?
> > I looked through the i386 packages, but didn't notice any. I'm using FVWM2.
> >
> > I have used mrxvt, materm.sourceforge.net, on FreeBSD in the past and
> > really liked it; minimal dependencies and small memory foot print. I
> > just tried to compile mrxvt-0.4.2 on OBSD, but it failed.
> >
> > -pachl

Re: Multi-tabbed Terminal

Mike Hernandez-3
On Aug 4, 2006, at 1:37 PM, Maxim Bourmistrov wrote:

> It compiles and works here.
> Just comment out "The ugly hack for OpenBSD":
> /*
> # ifdef OS_OPENBSD
> typedef unsigned int    _our_wint_t;
> typedef struct {
>         int __count;
>         union {
>                 _our_wint_t     __wch;
>                 char            __wchb[4]
>         } __value;
> } mbstate_t;
> # endif
> */
>
> On Friday 04 August 2006 19:02, you wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a light-weight multi-tabbed terminal for OBSD
>> 3.9?
>> I looked through the i386 packages, but didn't notice any. I'm
>> using FVWM2.
>>
>> I have used mrxvt, materm.sourceforge.net, on FreeBSD in the past and
>> really liked it; minimal dependencies and small memory foot print. I
>> just tried to compile mrxvt-0.4.2 on OBSD, but it failed.
>>
>> -pachl

You might also want to try the latest version - I think 0.5.1 is just
about ready based on recent mailing list traffic.

Mike H

Re: Multi-tabbed Terminal

Will Maier
On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 10:02:50AM -0700, Clint Pachl wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a light-weight multi-tabbed terminal for OBSD 3.9?
> I looked through the i386 packages, but didn't notice any. I'm using FVWM2.

xterm + misc/screen.

--

o--------------------------{ Will Maier }--------------------------o
| web:.......http://www.lfod.us/ | [hidden email] |
*------------------[ BSD Unix: Live Free or Die ]------------------*

Re: Multi-tabbed Terminal

Clint Pachl
Michael Hernandez wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2006, at 1:37 PM, Maxim Bourmistrov wrote:
>
>> It compiles and works here.
>> Just comment out "The ugly hack for OpenBSD":
>> /*
>> # ifdef OS_OPENBSD
>> typedef unsigned int    _our_wint_t;
>> typedef struct {
>>         int __count;
>>         union {
>>                 _our_wint_t     __wch;
>>                 char            __wchb[4]
>>         } __value;
>> } mbstate_t;
>> # endif
>> */
>>
>> On Friday 04 August 2006 19:02, you wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a light-weight multi-tabbed terminal for OBSD  3.9?
>>> I looked through the i386 packages, but didn't notice any. I'm  using
>>> FVWM2.
>>>
>>> I have used mrxvt, materm.sourceforge.net, on FreeBSD in the past and
>>> really liked it; minimal dependencies and small memory foot print. I
>>> just tried to compile mrxvt-0.4.2 on OBSD, but it failed.
>>>
>>> -pachl
>
> You might also want to try the latest version - I think 0.5.1 is just
> about ready based on recent mailing list traffic.
>
> Mike H

I tried Maxim's code modification with v0.4.2 mentioned above, but it
did not work. However, the unmodified v0.5.1 code does work as Mike H
suggested. v0.5.1 did compile, but not without warnings, e.g. sprintf()
-> snprintf(). I have never created a port/package for OBSD before, but
will try to clean up the code and port it to OBSD in my limited free time.

Thanks for all of your suggestions thus far.

-pachl

Re: Multi-tabbed Terminal

Christoph Borsbach

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 10:02:50 -0700, Clint Pachl wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a light-weight multi-tabbed terminal for OBSD 3.9?
> I looked through the i386 packages, but didn't notice any. I'm using FVWM2.

You might want to check out "Terminal",
http://www.os-cillation.de/index.php?id=42&L=5 .
Don't know if its "lightweight" enough for you, as it comes with a few
dependencies you wouldn't need as a fvwm2 user.

Chris