Moving from Bird to OpenBGPD

antithesis

Hello,

I’m having sometrouble configuring OpenBGPD, to replace my Bird deployment.

I’m trying to setup redundant web infrastructure for a few websites I host with Vultr.To do so, I followed this guide:

https://www.vultr.com/docs/high-availability-on-vultr-with-floating-ip-and-bgp <https://www.vultr.com/docs/high-availability-on-vultr-with-floating-ip-and-bgp>

It works flawlesslywith Bird running on OpenBSD, but I obviously prefer to run utilitiesfrom the base system wherever possible. I’ve spent more time thanI’d like to admit trying to get this setup working on OpenBGPD.

The only thing I diddifferent from the above guide was use lo1 rather than a dummyinterface, as dummy interfaces appear to be a linuxism as per thismailing list thread I found:

http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Dummy-Interface-In-OpenBGPd-td34009.html <http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Dummy-Interface-In-OpenBGPd-td34009.html>

Basically, all I’mtrying to do is port my Bird config over to OpenBGPD. At this pointI’m just banging my head against a wall. I’ve spent several daysgoogling, reading man pages and trying different configs. I must bemissing something basic, and it’s likely something obvious I’mmissing, as I am by no means a BGP expert.

My bird config lookslike this:

log "/var/log/bird"all;

router idxxx.xxx.224.9;

protocol device

{

scan time 60;

}

protocol direct

{

interface "lo1";

}

protocol bgp vultr

{

local as 65xxx;

source addressxxx.xxx.224.9;

import none;

export all;

graceful restarton;

next hop self;

multihop 2;

neighbor169.254.169.254 as 64515;

password"xxxxxx";

}

My bgpd.conflooks like this:

#Global Configuration

AS65xxx

router-idxxx.xxx.157.221

#Our Address Space

networkxxx.xxx.0.141/32

#IPv4 Peers

neighbor169.254.169.254 {

remote-as                      64515

tcpmd5sig password     xxxxxx

setnexthop self

multihop                      2

descr                            Vultr

local-address               xxx.xxx.157.221

}

Anyassistance you fine folks could provide would be hugely appreciated.

Re: Moving from Bird to OpenBGPD

antithesis
I just realized my email was likely totally mangled as plain text formatting was not enabled in my tutanota settings. Here's a (hopefully) non-mangled version.

---------------------------------------

[...]

My attempt at a bgpd.conflooks like this:

#Global Configuration

AS65xxx

router-idxxx.xxx.157.221

#Our Address Space

networkxxx.xxx.0.141/32

#IPv4 Peers

neighbor169.254.169.254 {

remote-as                      64515

tcpmd5sig password     xxxxxx

setnexthop self

multihop                      2

descr                            Vultr

local-address               xxx.xxx.157.221

}

Anyassistance you fine folks could provide to help me get this workking would be hugely appreciated.