Mouse problem

Gabriel George POPA
Hello all,

I have the following problem: I installed OpenBSD 3.8 a long time ago and
I have used it since november as a production system. Everything worked OK.
I like very much OpenBSD because I managed to configure a lot of things quickly
(faster than on FreeBSD for example, but this is another story). I
configured very well the mouse too (since installation). It worked OK in
 console and in X11R6. Unfortunately, one day when I came to work the
mouse pointer started to behave in a chaotic manner on the screen when I
moved the mouse. Both in console and in X. Very nasty. I know it is a stupid
problem and a stupid question, but that's it. I changed the mouse, the same thing. I tried this mouse on another computer and it worked fine. So now I have
two options: I have a SW problem and a HW problem (the HW is new, bought in
november...). My question would be: having given the fact that I modified
nothing in the system configuration and that no one else used this computer
for other purposes while I was missing, it is possible to have a HW problem
or a misconfigured SW? Have you encountered this before?
Any suggestions?

                                                  Yours in BSDness,
                                                      Gabriel George POPA

Re: Mouse problem

Nick Holland
Gabriel George POPA wrote:
> Unfortunately, one day when I came to work the
> mouse pointer started to behave in a chaotic manner on the screen when I
> moved the mouse. Both in console and in X. Very nasty. I know it is a stupid
> problem and a stupid question, but that's it.

Could this be it?
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq12.html#i386smouse

Nick.

Re: Mouse problem

Gabriel George POPA
The dmesg is the same as before.

Vladas Urbonas wrote:

> give the dmesg at least.
> for example two dmesg's with different mouses pluged in.
>
> otherwise your question if very abstract.
>

> On 04/05/06, *Gabriel George POPA* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     I have the following problem: I installed OpenBSD 3.8 a long time
>     ago and
>     I have used it since november as a production system. Everything
>     worked OK.
>     I like very much OpenBSD because I managed to configure a lot of
>     things quickly
>     (faster than on FreeBSD for example, but this is another story). I
>     configured very well the mouse too (since installation). It worked
>     OK in
>     console and in X11R6. Unfortunately, one day when I came to work the
>     mouse pointer started to behave in a chaotic manner on the screen
>     when I
>     moved the mouse. Both in console and in X. Very nasty. I know it
>     is a stupid
>     problem and a stupid question, but that's it. I changed the mouse,
>     the same thing. I tried this mouse on another computer and it
>     worked fine. So now I have
>     two options: I have a SW problem and a HW problem (the HW is new,
>     bought in
>     november...). My question would be: having given the fact that I
>     modified
>     nothing in the system configuration and that no one else used this
>     computer
>     for other purposes while I was missing, it is possible to have a
>     HW problem
>     or a misconfigured SW? Have you encountered this before?
>     Any suggestions?
>
>                                                      Yours in BSDness,
>                                                          Gabriel
>     George POPA

Re: Mouse problem

Gabriel George POPA
No, the faq#12 on this matter solves nothing. I'm not using such kind of
switching.

Re: Mouse problem

Roger Neth Jr
On 5/6/06, Gabriel George POPA <[hidden email]> wrote:

Have you tried xorgconfig?

rogern

John 3:16