Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

C. Bensend
Hey folks,

   I've been pouring over the archives for a couple of days now,
looking for recommendations for a Pentium IV motherboard for a new
server I'm building.  I've found a lot of AMD and AMD64 posts, but
hardly any P4s.  I would really appreciate any suggestions from any
of you that own motherboards with the following specs:

Needed:

* 1+ PCI-X slot, 64-bit 133MHz (one required)
* Intel Pentium IV, don't care what socket
* Minimum 2GB RAM capacity
* PC3200 RAM, if possible (already have 1GB stick just sitting around)

Wanted:

* Decent gigabit NIC built in, if possible (ie, not %&^@#* Broadcom)
* 4GB RAM capacity would be nice

Don't need:

* SCSI/SATA on board, not necessary, system will have LSI 21320B U320
  in PCI-X slot (uses 53C1030 chipset, should be supported?)
* Sound
* Video (can pop in crap PCI video card, don't need graphics)

   This server will be running PHP-based webmail with local IMAP
server, SpamAssassin + PostgreSQL (for Bayes), and webhosting via
Apache for a handful of sites.  Very few webmail users, but some
pretty large mail stores that drive Courier into the ground (open to
suggestions for different IMAP servers).

   I'd love to hear from folks that have had good (or even bad)
experiences with motherboards.  This machine will be running
-STABLE.

Thanks a bunch!

Benny

--
"Young lady, I yelled at you because that paperwork looked like it
had been done by a drunk four-year-old." -- Dr. Bob Kelso, "Scrubs"

Re: Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

Daniel Ouellet
C. Bensend wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
>    I've been pouring over the archives for a couple of days now,
> looking for recommendations for a Pentium IV motherboard for a new
> server I'm building.  I've found a lot of AMD and AMD64 posts, but
> hardly any P4s.  I would really appreciate any suggestions from any
> of you that own motherboards with the following specs:

Well, that's because if you do use AMD64 instead of P4, you will get a
box a hell of a lot faster and the price would be the same to you and
believe me when I say that! You are MUCH better with AMD64 for a server
then P4. Flame me if you like, but you will hardly find anyone here
telling you to go use Intel instead of AMD64, specially if you have the
choice from now and you can built what you want!

You would be much better off with AMD64, but that's just me!

Fell free to not follow my suggestion, but I would argue that would be a
mistake!

Daniel

Re: Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

C. Bensend
> Well, that's because if you do use AMD64 instead of P4, you will get a
> box a hell of a lot faster and the price would be the same to you and
> believe me when I say that! You are MUCH better with AMD64 for a server
> then P4. Flame me if you like, but you will hardly find anyone here
> telling you to go use Intel instead of AMD64, specially if you have the
> choice from now and you can built what you want!
>
> You would be much better off with AMD64, but that's just me!

I haven't had good luck with AMD64 so far.  The server I built not
a year ago has had more kernel panics and funky-ass behavior than
any system I've built since the RedHat 6.2 days.  AMD64 is likely
a damned good processor, but it's kind of soured on me.

If people have a known solid motherboard + AMD64 combination they'd
like to recommend that has a PCI-X 64-bit 133MHz slot in it, I'm
certainly willing to consider it.  But this server is my lifeline,
my personal webserver and mailserver (and a few domains for friends),
so I'd rather have a rock-solid system to use and then bring the
AMD64 system back in-house to install 3.8 on and debug the problems.

Benny

--
"Young lady, I yelled at you because that paperwork looked like it
had been done by a drunk four-year-old." -- Dr. Bob Kelso, "Scrubs"

Re: Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

Sebastian Rother
For AMD64:

Tyan Motherboards seams to be pretty solid.
I had also no luck with ASUS, they simply just suck.

For INTEL:

Intel Motherboards

There's not that much choice (for me) at the market anymore.
Most vendors build crappy boards to provide the "latest" shit.

Example: Asus K7V880 (yes socket A, I know):

3 IDE HDDs, 1 SATA HDD -> Booting takes about 1 Minute, I have always
select the HDD wich should be bootet manualy.
Even my dual Opteron boots faster! :-)

And this crappy Board/Bios wont notice my Duron 1800.
Duron 1800 == 133 FSB
The board detects just an FSB of about 100 (1350Mhz).
Even an AsRock did a better Job (same CPU and HDDs and bla..).

And before the Opteron I had another ASUS Board with a AMD64 socket 745
(hopefully not wrong). And A8V800 wich sucked too.

Long time ago Asus made good Boards, now even an Asrock is more stable.

Tyan, INTEL... 2 Vendors.
Not that much Choice but hey, they work!

Kind regards,
Sebastian
--
p.s.
Hopefully Genesi changes their mind because I'm looking for a PPC-base
works: I would be happy for every hint :-)

Re: Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

Tobias Ulmer
On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 06:38:22PM -0600, C. Bensend wrote:
>    This server will be running PHP-based webmail with local IMAP
> server, SpamAssassin + PostgreSQL (for Bayes), and webhosting via
> Apache for a handful of sites.  Very few webmail users, but some
> pretty large mail stores that drive Courier into the ground (open to
> suggestions for different IMAP servers).

Try dovecot, it's really fast, written with security in mind and used
for example by a large german webhoster (hosteurope.de). Oh, and it's
in the packages/ports :)

Tobias

Re: Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

Johan M:son Lindman
On Saturday 19 November 2005 04:37, you wrote:

> > Well, that's because if you do use AMD64 instead of P4, you will get a
> > box a hell of a lot faster and the price would be the same to you and
> > believe me when I say that! You are MUCH better with AMD64 for a server
> > then P4. Flame me if you like, but you will hardly find anyone here
> > telling you to go use Intel instead of AMD64, specially if you have the
> > choice from now and you can built what you want!
> >
> > You would be much better off with AMD64, but that's just me!
>
> I haven't had good luck with AMD64 so far.  The server I built not
> a year ago has had more kernel panics and funky-ass behavior than
> any system I've built since the RedHat 6.2 days.  AMD64 is likely
> a damned good processor, but it's kind of soured on me.
>
> If people have a known solid motherboard + AMD64 combination they'd
> like to recommend that has a PCI-X 64-bit 133MHz slot in it, I'm
> certainly willing to consider it.

I've a lot of HP DL145 G1 (please note the G1, G2s are not nearly as good)
based on Opeteron which works fine and they've a 64bit 133 slot in a 1U
chasis.
Not a single coredump or other kind of problem with this box and i've boxes
doing DB, mail and IDS runing 24/7.
Though it might not be possible to still buy the G1 in your area, over here
(Stockholm, Sweden) you can only get the G2s which unfortunately are based on
nForce4 chipset and thus are not as well supported as the G1 which was based
on AMD chipset.

So unless you feel this is a good day to get screwed, go get yourself an AMD64
based computer.
</rant>

Regards
Johan M:son

Re: Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

Chris Cappuccio
C. Bensend [[hidden email]] wrote:

> I haven't had good luck with AMD64 so far.  The server I built not
> a year ago has had more kernel panics and funky-ass behavior than
> any system I've built since the RedHat 6.2 days.  AMD64 is likely
> a damned good processor, but it's kind of soured on me.

Be careful about what kind of motherboard and RAM you buy in the future...

Motherboard chipset compatibility is also an issue with newer AMD64 stuff

"You were about to change the channel when God healed you" -- Benny Hinn

Re: Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

C. Bensend
> Be careful about what kind of motherboard and RAM you buy in the future...

*nod*  Wise advice.  I thought I was careful, but obviously not
careful enough.

Precisely why I'm asking for recommendations for hardware that
people have had good experiences with.  :)

> Motherboard chipset compatibility is also an issue with newer AMD64 stuff

Yeah, and not many of the motherboards I'm looking at have PCI-X.
Perhaps I'm limiting the field too much because of the SCSI card
I'm looking at.

I don't see any other U320 controllers on i386.html that aren't PCI-X.
Anyone have a nice U320 controller they can recommend so I don't have
to look for PCI-X on the motherboard?

Thanks much,

Benny

--
"Young lady, I yelled at you because that paperwork looked like it
had been done by a drunk four-year-old." -- Dr. Bob Kelso, "Scrubs"

Re: Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

Paul Civati
In article <[hidden email]>,
        [hidden email] ("C. Bensend") writes:

> Needed:
>
> * 1+ PCI-X slot, 64-bit 133MHz (one required)
> * Intel Pentium IV, don't care what socket
> * Minimum 2GB RAM capacity
> * PC3200 RAM, if possible (already have 1GB stick just sitting around)

Supermicro P4SCi (S478) - really designed for Supermicro chassis though.

PCI-X 64bit (only 66MHz I'm afraid) and PC3200 capable.

> Wanted:
>
> * Decent gigabit NIC built in, if possible (ie, not %&^@#* Broadcom)
> * 4GB RAM capacity would be nice

Dual Intel gige on-board and 4 slots for up to 4GB RAM.

-Paul-

        [hidden email] (Chris Cappuccio) writes:

>> I haven't had good luck with AMD64 so far.  The server I built not
>> a year ago has had more kernel panics and funky-ass behavior than
>
> Be careful about what kind of motherboard and RAM you buy in the future...
>
> Motherboard chipset compatibility is also an issue with newer AMD64 stuff

People need to understand what they are buying into.

You have desktop boards and server class boards.

Athlon64 is a desktop processor, Opteron is a server processor,
and thus the boards likewise.

Generally the server class board will cost twice as much as the desktop
board, but have decent manufacturer (Intel or AMD) chipset and the right
buses (PCI-X) connected in a sensible manner.

If you are buying cheap desktop boards with poorly designed chipsets
then they are never going to be good server boards, and you will
experience the problems described.

-Paul-

Re: Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

C. Bensend
> Supermicro P4SCi (S478) - really designed for Supermicro chassis though.
>
> PCI-X 64bit (only 66MHz I'm afraid) and PC3200 capable.

Hey, thanks, Paul.  It is very much appreciated.  I don't know
why my searches haven't turned up this one, but it has almost
everything I want, and a reasonable price.

Benny

--
"Young lady, I yelled at you because that paperwork looked like it
had been done by a drunk four-year-old." -- Dr. Bob Kelso, "Scrubs"

Re: Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

dontek
I've got OpenBSD (3.7 and 3.8) running on both these boards with no
problems what-so-ever:

P4 (66Mhz PCI-X)
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tomcati7210.html
Intel onboard gigabit, 1 CSA, 1 PCI.
Intel ICH5 SATA and Sil3114 SATA, 6 ports total

Dual Opteron (2 PCI-X buses, one 100Mhz, one 133Mhz, 2 slots each)
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8w.html
broadcom on-board gigabit (I added a gigabit Intel dual-port PCI-X controller)
Sil3114 SATA

Depending on how processor intensive your particular use will be, and
how much money you want to spend, I might stick with the P4 setup if
you're more cost-driven.  Intel chipests are most always very stable
performers and you almost always get dual gigabit intel ethernet on
board with the P4 server boards.

Obviously the Opteron(s) are going to perform the pants off the P4,
but the cost will be significantly higher and you're much more likely
to get stuck with ill-working or unsupported onboard ethernet/SATA and
end up spending even more money on good gigabit ethernet controllers.

From your description of your use setup, it sounds to me a single of
either processor will be more than sufficient.  (I run Celeron Ds in
my two P4 boxes on that P4 Tyan board with Apache, OpenLDAP, Postfix,
Courier-IMAP, Samba, PHP, etc... hosting several domains and processor
speed has never been a problem)

my 2 cents
don..

On 11/19/05, C. Bensend <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Supermicro P4SCi (S478) - really designed for Supermicro chassis though.
> >
> > PCI-X 64bit (only 66MHz I'm afraid) and PC3200 capable.
>
> Hey, thanks, Paul.  It is very much appreciated.  I don't know
> why my searches haven't turned up this one, but it has almost
> everything I want, and a reasonable price.
>
> Benny
>

> --
> "Young lady, I yelled at you because that paperwork looked like it
> had been done by a drunk four-year-old." -- Dr. Bob Kelso, "Scrubs"

Re: Motherboard recommendations? Pentium IV, 2GB+ RAM?

C. Bensend
> I've got OpenBSD (3.7 and 3.8) running on both these boards with no
> problems what-so-ever:
>
> P4 (66Mhz PCI-X)
> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tomcati7210.html
> Intel onboard gigabit, 1 CSA, 1 PCI.
> Intel ICH5 SATA and Sil3114 SATA, 6 ports total
>
> Dual Opteron (2 PCI-X buses, one 100Mhz, one 133Mhz, 2 slots each)
> http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8w.html
> broadcom on-board gigabit (I added a gigabit Intel dual-port PCI-X
> controller)
> Sil3114 SATA

Excellent suggestions, they are much appreciated.  Thanks, Don!

Benny