Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

John Gould-2
Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?
I'm trying to run
several G5's and g4 mini's on 6.5 as desktop machines. The basic
install works really well but there doesn't seem to be an up to date
graphically browser.

It's thanks to all the work the devs have put into OpenBSD powerpc
that these machine are still very usable. They are hopelessly out of
date as far as the Mac OS are concerned!

Kind regards John.

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Jordan Geoghegan

On 5/22/19 11:19 PM, John Gould wrote:
> Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?

Dillo is a pretty good browser that works on macppc. It doesn't support
javascript, but is perfectly adequate for reading non-terrible websites.

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Dumitru Moldovan-2
On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 07:19:25AM +0100, John Gould wrote:
>Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?
>I'm trying to run
>several G5's and g4 mini's on 6.5 as desktop machines. The basic
>install works really well but there doesn't seem to be an up to date
>graphically browser.
>
>It's thanks to all the work the devs have put into OpenBSD powerpc
>that these machine are still very usable. They are hopelessly out of
>date as far as the Mac OS are concerned!

Try netsurf, it's the best one I've found in the 6.4 macppc packages.
There is substantial progress in porting for macppc in 6.5, haven't
tried the new release, but it seems it hasn't resulted in a better
graphical web browser yet.

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Antal Ispanovity
> Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?
epiphany, if you need JS

> I'm trying to run
> several G5's and g4 mini's on 6.5 as desktop machines. The basic
> install works really well but there doesn't seem to be an up to date
> graphically browser.
>
> It's thanks to all the work the devs have put into OpenBSD powerpc
> that these machine are still very usable. They are hopelessly out of
> date as far as the Mac OS are concerned!
>
> Kind regards John.

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

ropers
On 23/05/2019, Jordan Geoghegan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/22/19 11:19 PM, John Gould wrote:
>> Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?
>
> Dillo is a pretty good browser that works on macppc. It doesn't support
> javascript, but is perfectly adequate for reading non-terrible websites.

( By your definition, almost *all* websites are terrible today (not
that I necessarily disagree). I don't know what percentage of websites
don't include or require JavaScript, but it's got to be in the single
digits now. A non-JavaScript browser cannot honestly claim to be
modern anymore. )

OP has a Gmail address, and while there *is* a plain HTML version of
Gmail that *doesn't* require JavaScript, Google *does* require
JavaScript to sign you in (:facepalm:). So even if you enable cookies,
which Dillo disables by default, see man dillo, you will still hit a
stupid and arbitrary roadblock. If anyone knows how to sign in and
access <https://mail.google.com/mail/h/> without JavaScript (with
Dillo), I'd be interested in hearing about that.

I also have some minor cosmetic client-side Stylish fixes for basic
HTML Gmail that I could post if people were interested. This is
getting pretty OT, but if people want to hear it, giz a shout.

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Craig Skinner-3
On Thu, 23 May 2019 11:25:12 +0200 ropers wrote:
> OP has a Gmail address, ....

Which works with an IMAP client, such as claws-mail.

Web is not mail.

Craig Skinner | http://linkd.in/yGqkv7

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

ropers
Thanks for sharing, and if you know a way to administer and use all
the functionality of Gmail without ever logging into Gmail's web
interface, let me know.

On 23/05/2019, Craig Skinner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 May 2019 11:25:12 +0200 ropers wrote:
>> OP has a Gmail address, ....
>
> Which works with an IMAP client, such as claws-mail.
>
> Web is not mail.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Craig Skinner | http://linkd.in/yGqkv7

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Patrick Harper
Epiphany/GNOME Web is fine, but make sure you have the ports tree loaded for stable updates, WebKit is not the safest code base in the world.

--
  Patrick Harper
  [hidden email]

On Thu, 23 May 2019, at 07:21, John Gould wrote:

> Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?
> I'm trying to run
> several G5's and g4 mini's on 6.5 as desktop machines. The basic
> install works really well but there doesn't seem to be an up to date
> graphically browser.
>
> It's thanks to all the work the devs have put into OpenBSD powerpc
> that these machine are still very usable. They are hopelessly out of
> date as far as the Mac OS are concerned!
>
> Kind regards John.

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Dumitru Moldovan-2
On Thu, 23 May 2019 10:31:58 +0200, Antal Ispanovity <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?
> epiphany, if you need JS

Does it work for you?  I was so enthused by the idea (and irony!) of
WebKit browsers packaged in 6.5 for macppc that I booted up an old and
slow PowerMac lying around to update it to latest release.

True, Epiphany (and surf, possibly other WebKit-based browsers too) are
available as packages, but they won't load even the simplest web pages
for me.  Eg. "surf -bdgimnps http://ftp.openbsd.org" opens a blank page
with this error: "WebKit encountered an internal error."

Not to belittle the work done already, I think this is great progress
from the macpcc porters!

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Riccardo Mottola

On 5/23/19 8:19 AM, John Gould wrote:
> Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?
> I'm trying to run
> several G5's and g4 mini's on 6.5 as desktop machines. The basic
> install works really well but there doesn't seem to be an up to date
> graphically browser.
>
> It's thanks to all the work the devs have put into OpenBSD powerpc
> that these machine are still very usable. They are hopelessly out of
> date as far as the Mac OS are concerned!

you might try ArcticFox, it has a decent success on Linux PowerPC.
Several endianness fixes were imported.

It is not "totally" modern, but still more modern than Dillo. Beware
that you need at least 1G of RAM to be of decent use with modern
websites, 2GB is better.

Although it is of PaleMoon heritage and thus Linux/Mac heritage, I fixed
compilation on NetBSD, OpenBSD and lately even FreeBSD compiles out of
the box.

Beware however, that while perfectly usable on older x86, it has no
working JIT, so JS intensive websites will be slow on PowerPC. Also
compilation on OpenBSD/ppc was never attempted by me, only on Linux/PPC.
OpenBSD amd64 however does work.

Riccardo

[1] : Official Repo: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox

[2] : My current working fork, which gets regularly pulled into main:
https://github.com/rmottola/Arctic-Fox

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Patrick Harper
Oracle's Beijing Team maintains a port of FF60esr for Solaris/sparc that might be useful (another mostly big-endian arch).

https://github.com/oracle/solaris-userland/tree/master/components/desktop/firefox

--
  Patrick Harper
  [hidden email]

On Sat, 25 May 2019, at 12:54, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 5/23/19 8:19 AM, John Gould wrote:
> > Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?
> > I'm trying to run
> > several G5's and g4 mini's on 6.5 as desktop machines. The basic
> > install works really well but there doesn't seem to be an up to date
> > graphically browser.
> >
> > It's thanks to all the work the devs have put into OpenBSD powerpc
> > that these machine are still very usable. They are hopelessly out of
> > date as far as the Mac OS are concerned!
>

> you might try ArcticFox, it has a decent success on Linux PowerPC.
> Several endianness fixes were imported.
>
> It is not "totally" modern, but still more modern than Dillo. Beware
> that you need at least 1G of RAM to be of decent use with modern
> websites, 2GB is better.
>
> Although it is of PaleMoon heritage and thus Linux/Mac heritage, I fixed
> compilation on NetBSD, OpenBSD and lately even FreeBSD compiles out of
> the box.
>

> Beware however, that while perfectly usable on older x86, it has no
> working JIT, so JS intensive websites will be slow on PowerPC. Also
> compilation on OpenBSD/ppc was never attempted by me, only on Linux/PPC.
> OpenBSD amd64 however does work.
>

> Riccardo
>
> [1] : Official Repo: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox
>
> [2] : My current working fork, which gets regularly pulled into main:
> https://github.com/rmottola/Arctic-Fox

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

john o goyo
On 05/25/19 11:41, Patrick Harper wrote:
> Oracle's Beijing Team maintains a port of FF60esr for Solaris/sparc that might be useful (another mostly big-endian arch).
>
> https://github.com/oracle/solaris-userland/tree/master/components/desktop/firefox
Excuse my ignorance but is it really Sparc?  When Oracle laid off Ginn
Chen, who contributed the Sparc build to Mozilla, I thought that was the
end of Firefox on Sparc.

jog

On 5/25/19 4:00 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 5/23/19 8:19 AM, John Gould wrote:
>> Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?
>> I'm trying to run
>> several G5's and g4 mini's on 6.5 as desktop machines. The basic
>> install works really well but there doesn't seem to be an up to date
>> graphically browser.
>>
>> It's thanks to all the work the devs have put into OpenBSD powerpc
>> that these machine are still very usable. They are hopelessly out of
>> date as far as the Mac OS are concerned!
>

> you might try ArcticFox, it has a decent success on Linux PowerPC.
> Several endianness fixes were imported.
>
> It is not "totally" modern, but still more modern than Dillo. Beware
> that you need at least 1G of RAM to be of decent use with modern
> websites, 2GB is better.
>
> Although it is of PaleMoon heritage and thus Linux/Mac heritage, I
> fixed compilation on NetBSD, OpenBSD and lately even FreeBSD compiles
> out of the box.
>

> Beware however, that while perfectly usable on older x86, it has no
> working JIT, so JS intensive websites will be slow on PowerPC. Also
> compilation on OpenBSD/ppc was never attempted by me, only on
> Linux/PPC. OpenBSD amd64 however does work.
>

> Riccardo
>
> [1] : Official Repo: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox
>
> [2] : My current working fork, which gets regularly pulled into main:
> https://github.com/rmottola/Arctic-Fox

If you're going down that path, you should see if you can get TenFourFox
to compile. TenFourFox does have a jit and supports altivec.

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

https://github.com/classilla/tenfourfox

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Patrick Harper
Binaries stopped being committed to the Mozilla archive after 52.0.2 but the port seems to be active. I assume 60esr is supposed to work on sparc (still) as some recent patches refer to it in the filenames.

--
  Patrick Harper
  [hidden email]

On Sat, 25 May 2019, at 18:54, john o goyo wrote:

> On 05/25/19 11:41, Patrick Harper wrote:
> > Oracle's Beijing Team maintains a port of FF60esr for Solaris/sparc that might be useful (another mostly big-endian arch).
> >
> > https://github.com/oracle/solaris-userland/tree/master/components/desktop/firefox
> Excuse my ignorance but is it really Sparc?  When Oracle laid off Ginn
> Chen, who contributed the Sparc build to Mozilla, I thought that was the
> end of Firefox on Sparc.
>
> jog

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Riccardo Mottola
Hi Jordan,

On 5/25/19 8:13 PM, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:

>> Riccardo
>>
>> [1] : Official Repo: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox
>>
>> [2] : My current working fork, which gets regularly pulled into main:
>> https://github.com/rmottola/Arctic-Fox
>>

> If you're going down that path, you should see if you can get
> TenFourFox to compile. TenFourFox does have a jit and supports altivec.
>

> http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
>
> https://github.com/classilla/tenfourfox

I do know about TenFourFox - having contributed to it myself and having
worked on making on i386 again. An interesting fork, the best thing you
can get on a PPC 10.4 or 10.5 Mac! However, the code is very Mac specific.

ArcticFox derives from PaleMoon 27 and thus is more portable, but
improved build and compiler compatibility. Of course, in the long term,
it would be delicious to merge in TenFourFox's PPC JIT! AF and PaleMoon
are not so "refined" as TenFourFox which really backported a lot of
FireFox stuff

Yet, ArcticFox allows you to use stuff like yahoo mail, gmail and
facebook, if needed. It doesn't work well enough for github, which is
now a monster.

I'd be interested to know if OpenBSD/PPC works... or try to help, in case.

In the meanwhile, I think ArcticFox will fit the OP needs: you can
access gmail and yahoo mail

Help for ArcticFox... generally appreciated!

Riccardo

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Benjamin Baier
On Thu, 23 May 2019 07:19:25 +0100
John Gould <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?
> I'm trying to run
> several G5's and g4 mini's on 6.5 as desktop machines. The basic
> install works really well but there doesn't seem to be an up to date
> graphically browser.
>
> It's thanks to all the work the devs have put into OpenBSD powerpc
> that these machine are still very usable. They are hopelessly out of
> date as far as the Mac OS are concerned!
>
> Kind regards John.

otter-browser works. I use it on a G4 for simple surfing. Did not try
for heavy js sites.

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Henry Bonath
Here's my build info for 6.5 PowerPC:

pkg list:
autoconf--%2.13
dbus-glib--
g++--%4.9
gcc--%4.9
gmake--
python--%2.7
py-pip--
yasm--
unzip--
zip--

And my .mozconfig:
# This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
# License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
# file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.

export CC="egcc -O3 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec -mabi=altivec
-falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=16
-falign-jumps=16"
export CXX="eg++ -fpermissive -O3 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec
-mabi=altivec -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=16
-falign-jumps=16"

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=/usr/local/src/afbuild/
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-s -j2"

ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --enable-mozril-geoloc
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --enable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --with-branding=browser/branding/arcticfox
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2"

After about 11 hours, the build failed, I *think* it was my machine as
I got the error about Virtual memory exhausted..
(I attempted on a Powerbook G4 w/512MB of RAM)
I have some XServe G5's around here somewhere, I might load one of
those up to see if I can get it to build on that.

615:35.21 Unified_cpp_gfx_layers3.o
626:10.04 Unified_cpp_gfx_layers4.o
660:32.77 Unified_cpp_gfx_layers5.o
672:05.93 Unified_cpp_layout_base2.o
689:29.56 virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory
689:32.64
689:32.79 In the directory  /usr/local/src/afbuild/layout/base
689:32.83 The following command failed to execute properly:
689:32.89 eg++ -fpermissive -O3 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec
-mabi=altivec -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=16
-falign-jumps=16 -o Unified_cpp_layout_base1.o -c
-I../../dist/stl_wrappers -I../../dist/system_wrappers -include
/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/config/gcc_hidden.h -DOS_POSIX=1 -DOS_BSD=1
-DOS_OPENBSD=1 -DSTATIC_EXPORTABLE_JS_API -DMOZILLA_INTERNAL_API
-DIMPL_LIBXUL -DMOZ_GLUE_IN_PROGRAM -DAB_CD=en-US -DNO_NSPR_10_SUPPORT
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/layout/base -I.
-I/usr/local/src/afbuild/ipc/ipdl/_ipdlheaders
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/ipc/chromium/src -I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/ipc/glue
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/layout/base/../forms
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/layout/base/../generic
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/layout/base/../mathml
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/layout/base/../printing
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/layout/base/../style
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/layout/base/../svg
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/layout/base/../tables
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/layout/base/../xul
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/layout/base/../xul/tree/
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/docshell/base -I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/dom/base
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/dom/html -I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/dom/svg
-I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/dom/xbl -I/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/view
-I../../dist/include -I/usr/local/src/afbuild/dist/include/nspr
-I/usr/local/src/afbuild/dist/include/nss -fPIC -I/usr/X11R6/include
-DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../../mozilla-config.h -MD -MP -MF
.deps/Unified_cpp_layout_base1.o.pp -I/usr/X11R6/include -Wall
-Wempty-body -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsign-compare -Wwrite-strings
-Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wcast-align -fno-exceptions
-fno-strict-aliasing -fno-rtti -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
-fno-exceptions -fno-math-errno -std=gnu++0x -pthread -pipe -DNDEBUG
-DTRIMMED -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-I/usr/local/src/afbuild/dist/include/cairo -I/usr/X11R6/include
/usr/local/src/afbuild/layout/base/Unified_cpp_layout_base1.cpp
689:33.53 gmake[5]: *** [/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/config/rules.mk:937:
Unified_cpp_layout_base1.o] Error 1
689:34.56 gmake[4]: *** [/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/config/recurse.mk:74:
layout/base/target] Error 2
689:34.91 gmake[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
690:26.32 In file included from
/usr/local/src/afbuild/gfx/layers/Unified_cpp_gfx_layers5.cpp:74:0:
690:26.38 /usr/src/Arctic-Fox/gfx/layers/opengl/CompositorOGL.cpp: In
member function 'virtual bool
mozilla::layers::CompositorOGL::Initialize()':
690:27.25 Warning: -Wunused-variable in
/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/gfx/layers/opengl/CompositorOGL.cpp: unused
variable 'force'
690:27.31 /usr/src/Arctic-Fox/gfx/layers/opengl/CompositorOGL.cpp:209:8:
warning: unused variable 'force' [-Wunused-variable]
690:27.31    bool force = gfxPrefs::LayersAccelerationForceEnabled();
690:27.33         ^
701:40.90 libgfx_layers.a.desc
701:43.20 gmake[3]: *** [/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/config/recurse.mk:37:
compile] Error 2
701:43.35 gmake[2]: *** [/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/config/rules.mk:541:
default] Error 2
701:43.46 gmake[1]: *** [/usr/src/Arctic-Fox/client.mk:399: realbuild] Error 2
701:43.55 gmake: *** [client.mk:171: build] Error 2
701:43.84 59 compiler warnings present.

A manual retry of the eg++ command referenced above gave me: cc1plus:
out of memory allocating 21192 bytes after a total of 0 bytes
So again, I'm pretty sure it's my machine that caused the failure here.

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 7:55 AM Riccardo Mottola
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 5/23/19 8:19 AM, John Gould wrote:
> > Can someone suggest a modern graphical browser for OpenBSD PowerPC?
> > I'm trying to run
> > several G5's and g4 mini's on 6.5 as desktop machines. The basic
> > install works really well but there doesn't seem to be an up to date
> > graphically browser.
> >
> > It's thanks to all the work the devs have put into OpenBSD powerpc
> > that these machine are still very usable. They are hopelessly out of
> > date as far as the Mac OS are concerned!
>

> you might try ArcticFox, it has a decent success on Linux PowerPC.
> Several endianness fixes were imported.
>
> It is not "totally" modern, but still more modern than Dillo. Beware
> that you need at least 1G of RAM to be of decent use with modern
> websites, 2GB is better.
>
> Although it is of PaleMoon heritage and thus Linux/Mac heritage, I fixed
> compilation on NetBSD, OpenBSD and lately even FreeBSD compiles out of
> the box.
>

> Beware however, that while perfectly usable on older x86, it has no
> working JIT, so JS intensive websites will be slow on PowerPC. Also
> compilation on OpenBSD/ppc was never attempted by me, only on Linux/PPC.
> OpenBSD amd64 however does work.
>

> Riccardo
>
> [1] : Official Repo: https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox
>
> [2] : My current working fork, which gets regularly pulled into main:
> https://github.com/rmottola/Arctic-Fox

Re: Modern browser for OpenBSD powerpc

Riccardo Mottola
Hi Henry,

Henry Bonath wrote:

> Here's my build info for 6.5 PowerPC:
>
> pkg list:
> autoconf--%2.13
> dbus-glib--
> g++--%4.9
> gcc--%4.9
> gmake--
> python--%2.7
> py-pip--
> yasm--
> unzip--
> zip--
>
> And my .mozconfig:
> # This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
> # License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
> # file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/.
>
> export CC="egcc -O3 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec -mabi=altivec
> -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=16
> -falign-jumps=16"
> export CXX="eg++ -fpermissive -O3 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec
> -mabi=altivec -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=16
> -falign-jumps=16"
>
> mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=/usr/local/src/afbuild/
> mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-s -j2"
>
> ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
> ac_add_options --disable-tests
> ac_add_options --disable-debug
> ac_add_options --disable-updater
> ac_add_options --enable-mozril-geoloc
> ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
> ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
> ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
> ac_add_options --enable-release
> ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
> ac_add_options --disable-eme
> ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
> ac_add_options --enable-dbus
> ac_add_options --disable-gio
> ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
> ac_add_options --enable-strip
> ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
> ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
> ac_add_options --with-branding=browser/branding/arcticfox
> ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2"
>
> After about 11 hours, the build failed, I *think* it was my machine as
> I got the error about Virtual memory exhausted..
> (I attempted on a Powerbook G4 w/512MB of RAM)
> I have some XServe G5's around here somewhere, I might load one of
> those up to see if I can get it to build on that.

Yes, you exhausted your RAM. The build needs around 2GB to complete well
(later, during the linking of libxul)
On my iBook with 1.25GB of RAM I need a lot of swap and linking
completes after 20-30 minutes but completes.

I have an x86 I would like to test a bit (because it doesn't have SSE3)
but with only 1GB of RAM it fails essentially or swaps for hours,
depending on compiler optimization.

Also, big note: if you are limited in RAM don't issue a Make parallel
build, it is useless and consumes more RAM.

Thanks for trying, I hope your XServe will do better!

Riccardo

Jordan Geoghegan wrote:

> If you're going down that path, you should see if you can get
> TenFourFox to compile. TenFourFox does have a jit and supports altivec.
>

> http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
>
> https://github.com/classilla/tenfourfox

I do know, having contributed to TenFourFox myself. However, things are
not so easy: TFF is optimized specifically for one Mac version, 10.4 and
PowerPC.

While I assume that the JIT can be generalized and implanted into
ArcticFox (or maybe even into official FireFox?) it is added and
#ifdef'd specifically for Mac, so not easy at all.

ArcticFox, while intending to target also older macs (but not 10.4)
intends to remain Unix compatible and portable!
We are already importing endian fixes and AltiVec optimizations, but the
JIT will be harder.

So, in case, patches for ArcticFox are appreciated.

Riccardo