Missing x*42.tgz installation file sets from i386 binary snapshots

Missing x*42.tgz installation file sets from i386 binary snapshots

Adriaan Misc
There are no X installation file sets for i386 snapshots.

From ftp.openbsd.org .
       100767 Jul 31 14:03 INSTALL.i386
        22354 Jul 31 14:03 INSTALL.linux
         1019 Jul 31 14:03 MD5
     42575374 Jul 31 14:03 base42.tgz
      6208870 Jul 31 14:03 bsd
      6258748 Jul 31 14:03 bsd.mp
      5064469 Jul 31 14:03 bsd.rd
      5181440 Jul 31 14:03 cd42.iso
        44404 Jul 31 14:03 cdboot
         2048 Jul 31 14:03 cdbr
      3012608 Jul 31 14:03 cdemu42.iso
      2949120 Jul 31 14:03 cdrom42.fs
     78810553 Jul 31 14:03 comp42.tgz
      1240527 Jul 31 14:03 etc42.tgz
      1474560 Jul 31 14:03 floppy42.fs
      1474560 Jul 31 14:03 floppyB42.fs
      1474560 Jul 31 14:03 floppyC42.fs
      2608726 Jul 31 14:03 game42.tgz
          203 Jul 26 04:05 index.txt
      7660968 Jul 31 14:03 man42.tgz
      2292928 Jul 31 14:03 misc42.tgz
        52928 Jul 31 14:03 pxeboot
There are X file sets for amd64:
        79894 Jul 31 14:03 INSTALL.amd64
          804 Jul 31 14:03 MD5
[snip]
      2292863 Jul 31 14:03 misc42.tgz
        52916 Jul 31 14:03 pxeboot
     13392534 Jul 26 09:06 xbase42.tgz
        78273 Jul 26 09:06 xetc42.tgz
     35579383 Jul 26 09:06 xfont42.tgz
     11237299 Jul 26 09:06 xserv42.tgz
      2547144 Jul 26 09:06 xshare42.tgz
-----------------------
For sparc and sparc64, the situation is similar, the 64 bits arch has
X file sets, while the 32 bit arch has not ;)

=Adriaan=

Re: Missing x*42.tgz installation file sets from i386 binary snapshots

Peter N. M. Hansteen-3
Adriaan <[hidden email]> writes:

> There are no X installation file sets for i386 snapshots.

Don't slashdot it just yet.  I think we can be reasonably sure that
even on i386, OpenBSD 4.2 will ship with installable X binaries.  For
one reason or the other the x* parts did not get built or at least did
not make it onto the FTP servers.  I'd wait a few days and enjoy the
new, improved ones when they do appear.

- P
http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.datadok.no/ http://www.nuug.no/

On 8/1/07, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Adriaan <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > There are no X installation file sets for i386 snapshots.
>
> Don't slashdot it just yet.  I think we can be reasonably sure that
> even on i386, OpenBSD 4.2 will ship with installable X binaries.  For
> one reason or the other the x* parts did not get built or at least did
> not make it onto the FTP servers.  I'd wait a few days and enjoy the
> new, improved ones when they do appear.

I regulary test binary snapshots and packages. I just wanted to report
something  like I did with
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118550373919943&w=2 .Just wondered
if they could be related, or whether it was a mirroring issue.

With the dependency of some packages on the expat XML parser f in
xbase42.tgz, you really cannot some install somel binary snaphots
packages when xbase42.tgz isn't there

=Adriaan=

Re: Missing x*42.tgz installation file sets from i386 binary snapshots

Vladas Urbonas
> With the dependency of some packages on the expat XML parser f in
> xbase42.tgz, you really cannot some install somel binary snaphots
> packages when xbase42.tgz isn't there

Did you try AnonCVS? Works (around 30th) for me.

Re: Missing x*42.tgz installation file sets from i386 binary snapshots

Heinrich Rebehn
Adriaan wrote:

> On 8/1/07, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Adriaan <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> There are no X installation file sets for i386 snapshots.
>> Don't slashdot it just yet.  I think we can be reasonably sure that
>> even on i386, OpenBSD 4.2 will ship with installable X binaries.  For
>> one reason or the other the x* parts did not get built or at least did
>> not make it onto the FTP servers.  I'd wait a few days and enjoy the
>> new, improved ones when they do appear.
>>

> I regulary test binary snapshots and packages. I just wanted to report
> something  like I did with
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118550373919943&w=2 .Just wondered
> if they could be related, or whether it was a mirroring issue.
>
> With the dependency of some packages on the expat XML parser f in
> xbase42.tgz, you really cannot some install somel binary snaphots
> packages when xbase42.tgz isn't there
>
> =Adriaan=

Aaahhh! That's why i cannot install bash under snapshot!

--Heinrich

vladas <[hidden email]> writes:

> Did you try AnonCVS? Works (around 30th) for me.

cvs works, but if you build the system yourself, you're not actually
testing snapshots anymore.  I think that's what OP wanted to do.
Install snapshots fresh, report if there's breakage.

Other lazy bastards tend to just U)pgrade between snaps.

On 8/1/07, vladas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/1/07, Peter N. M. Hansteen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > vladas <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > Did you try AnonCVS? Works (around 30th) for me.
> >
> > cvs works, but if you build the system yourself, you're not actually
> > testing snapshots anymore.  I think that's what OP wanted to do.
> > Install snapshots fresh, report if there's breakage.
>
> Point taken. My bad.

Correct, I wanted to test the latest snapshot and some packages ;).

And sometimes there are modifications in snapshots that should be tested.

From http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118056376719177&w=2

  "The most recent i386 snapshot contains 45 modified files which are
  not yet commited."

So compiling from checked out souirce, wouldl never test these not yet
committed "experimental" features.

[snip]

=Adriaan=

Re: Missing x*42.tgz installation file sets from i386 binary snapshots

Adriaan Misc
On 8/1/07, Heinrich Rebehn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]
> > With the dependency of some packages on the expat XML parser f in
> > xbase42.tgz, you really cannot some install somel binary snaphots
> > packages when xbase42.tgz isn't there
[snip]
> Aaahhh! That's why i cannot install bash under snapshot!

I just found that ftp.openbsd.org now has X installation file sets for i386

    11982111 Aug 01 16:20 xbase42.tgz
       75594 Aug 01 16:20 xetc42.tgz
    35579300 Aug 01 16:20 xfont42.tgz
    10350952 Aug 01 16:20 xserv42.tgz
     2547349 Aug 01 16:20 xshare42.tgz

There are also new packages dated July 31. So you can install bash ;)

=Adriaan=