Misreporting secondary SATA2 320gb hd size.

Misreporting secondary SATA2 320gb hd size.

Merp.com Volunteer
Strange problem here, seems only to show up under OpenBSD 4.0 so far (verified
not a noticeable problem under Gentoo Linux 2006.1 or Suse Linux 10.1):
2 brand new SATA2 Seagate 320 GB hard drives, completely wiped/unpartitioned.
wd0 reports correctly as:
total sectors = 625142448
total free sectors = 625142448
BUT wd1 reports incorrectly as:
total free sectors = 16514001
That is a fraction of the drive.

I tried re-wiping, partitioning, etc. to no avail.

Could it have anything to do with the LSI raid1 mirror fakeraid setup doing
something strange with openbsd?

I instead tried installing gentoo 2006.1 and suse 10.1 and both worked fine,
reporting the second drive (wd1) as the exact same as the primary drive
(wd0).

But still prefer to go with openbsd if it's at all possible.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks!
--
*** Volunteer Team for the completely non-profit, non-revenue,
non-business-entity dedicated to

Be sure to sign up for the 3rd annual International MerpCon (2007):
July 27th, 28th, & 29th in Spokane, WA, USA.
This event is not run by merp.com, but by a different group of volunteers,
but merp.com has donated many services to help them out.
Show them your support by signing up, spreading the word, and showing up.
http://www.merpcon.com

"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness,
and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched.
The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole,
and yet leave scope for other minds and hands,
wielding paint and music and drama..."
- John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, from a letter written to Milton Waldman, ca. 1951
-

Re: Misreporting secondary SATA2 320gb hd size.

Shane J Pearson
Hi,

On 26/12/2006, at 4:11 PM, Merp.com Volunteer wrote:

> Strange problem here, seems only to show up under OpenBSD 4.0 so
> far (verified
> not a noticeable problem under Gentoo Linux 2006.1 or Suse Linux
> 10.1):
> 2 brand new SATA2 Seagate 320 GB hard drives, completely wiped/
> unpartitioned.
> wd0 reports correctly as:
> total sectors = 625142448
> total free sectors = 625142448
> BUT wd1 reports incorrectly as:
> total free sectors = 16514001
> That is a fraction of the drive.
>
> I tried re-wiping, partitioning, etc. to no avail.

I sometimes see this sort of behaviour on freshly zeroed drives on my
systems.

Within disklabel, I use "D" to set default values and then "b" to set
the OpenBSD disk boundaries. Since I dedicate drives for OpenBSD,
that's from the beginning, to the end "*".

This has always fixed that problem for me.

Shane J Pearson
shanejp netspace net au

Re: Misreporting secondary SATA2 320gb hd size.

Merp.com Volunteer
That did the trick!
Thanks very much.
Now back to trying to get the raid1 array all setup. ;-)
I was getting stopped in that process because of the second disk issue, but I
didn't notice it the first time around.
Again, thank you very much.