Quantcast

Maximum memory and graphics options (plain text)

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Maximum memory and graphics options (plain text)

Peter Kay-5
(Let's try again, turning plain text on..)

macppc is 32bit, is it limited to 2GB memory like FreeBSD 32bit powerpc? I have a dual core G5 with 4.5GB, and it's showing only 2GB and the wrong SPD information (it initially only showed 1GB, but that was because the slots hadn't been correctly filled).

Also, any progress on PCIe graphics cards with acceleration?  The 6600LE is this system only uses wsfb, did anyone get around to testing more modern radeons?

PK
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Maximum memory and graphics options (plain text)

Bryan Vyhmeister-3
On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 05:57:20PM +0000, Peter Kay wrote:
> macppc is 32bit, is it limited to 2GB memory like FreeBSD 32bit
> powerpc? I have a dual core G5 with 4.5GB, and it's showing only 2GB
> and the wrong SPD information (it initially only showed 1GB, but that
> was because the slots hadn't been correctly filled).

That appears to be the case. I have more than 4GB (I think 8.5GB) in my
PowerMac11,2 and it only recognizes 2GB. There are some issues with the
SATA controller as well that I have mentioned in threads a few months
back on this list. I purchased some more SATA controller hardware to see
what I can figure out but have not had time to work on it further.

> Also, any progress on PCIe graphics cards with acceleration? The
> 6600LE is this system only uses wsfb, did anyone get around to testing
> more modern radeons?

I bought a Radeon X1900 Mac Edition which is the fastest card that could
be supported on a PCIe PowerMac G5 and there are still problems. See
this thread for where things need to go:

http://marc.info/?t=148122701700002&r=1&w=2

I have not had time to troubleshoot that further either and I am really
out of my depth but willing to try to determine whatever I can. I do not
have any problems with a PowerMac7,3 I have and also purchased a Radeon
9650 Pro for it which worked pretty well as I posted:

http://marc.info/?t=148131026600002&r=1&w=2

I would love to get the PowerMac11,2 fully supported with PCIe Radeon
graphics and hopefully I can help with that process.

Bryan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Maximum memory and graphics options (plain text)

Larry Hynes
Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 05:57:20PM +0000, Peter Kay wrote:
>> macppc is 32bit, is it limited to 2GB memory like FreeBSD 32bit
>> powerpc? I have a dual core G5 with 4.5GB, and it's showing only 2GB
>> and the wrong SPD information (it initially only showed 1GB, but that
>> was because the slots hadn't been correctly filled).

> That appears to be the case. I have more than 4GB (I think 8.5GB) in my
> PowerMac11,2 and it only recognizes 2GB. There are some issues with the
> SATA controller as well that I have mentioned in threads a few months
> back on this list. I purchased some more SATA controller hardware to see
> what I can figure out but have not had time to work on it further.

I'm running 6.0 -release on an 11,2, and dmesg shows:

        spdmem0 at mem0: 256MB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
        spdmem1 at mem0: 256MB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
        spdmem2 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
        spdmem3 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL5

so I was assuming that it was recognising - and making use of -
2.5GB. Is this not so?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Maximum memory and graphics options (plain text)

Bryan Vyhmeister-3
On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 09:42:33PM +0000, Larry Hynes wrote:

> Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 05:57:20PM +0000, Peter Kay wrote:
> >> macppc is 32bit, is it limited to 2GB memory like FreeBSD 32bit
> >> powerpc? I have a dual core G5 with 4.5GB, and it's showing only 2GB
> >> and the wrong SPD information (it initially only showed 1GB, but that
> >> was because the slots hadn't been correctly filled).
>
> > That appears to be the case. I have more than 4GB (I think 8.5GB) in my
> > PowerMac11,2 and it only recognizes 2GB. There are some issues with the
> > SATA controller as well that I have mentioned in threads a few months
> > back on this list. I purchased some more SATA controller hardware to see
> > what I can figure out but have not had time to work on it further.
>
> I'm running 6.0 -release on an 11,2, and dmesg shows:
>
> spdmem0 at mem0: 256MB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
> spdmem1 at mem0: 256MB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
> spdmem2 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
> spdmem3 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL5
>
> so I was assuming that it was recognising - and making use of -
> 2.5GB. Is this not so?

Not necessarily. What does top(1) show if you add up the real and free
memory?

In my PowerMac7,3 I show:

spdmem0 at mem0: 128MB DDR SDRAM non-parity PC3200CL3.0
spdmem1 at mem0: 128MB DDR SDRAM non-parity PC3200CL3.0
spdmem2 at mem0: 256MB DDR SDRAM non-parity PC3200CL3.0
spdmem3 at mem0: 256MB DDR SDRAM non-parity PC3200CL3.0

I show almost 750MB in top(1) which is about right. With my
PowerMac11,2, I show:

spdmem0 at mem0: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
spdmem1 at mem0: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
spdmem2 at mem0: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
spdmem3 at mem0: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
spdmem4 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL5
spdmem5 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL5
spdmem6 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL5
spdmem7 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL5

I think top(1) only shows a total of 2GB between real and free memory
but the machine is off at the moment so I cannot verify due to the SATA
issues. If top(1) shows more than 2GB, I believe more is being utilized
but I could be wrong on that.

Bryan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Maximum memory and graphics options (plain text)

Peter Kay-5
In reply to this post by Bryan Vyhmeister-3



  Original Message  
From: [hidden email]

>That's appears to be the case. I have more than 4GB >(I think 8.5GB) in my
>PowerMac11,2 and it only recognizes 2GB. There >are some issues with the
>SATA controller as well that I have mentioned in >threads a few months
>back on this list. I purchased some more SATA >controller hardware to see
>what I can figure out but have not had time to work >on it further.

Damn, not what I wanted to hear but suspected it might be the case. For everyone reading this, what does it say at the top of dmesg (real/actual memory)?

>I bought a Radeon X1900 Mac Edition which is the >fastest card that could
>be supported on a PCIe PowerMac G5 and there are >still problems. See
>this thread for where things need to go:

Thanks for the links, at least I won't waste my money on buying one. May try and get the 6600 working as it does on x86. I bought the G5 so I had a sort of modern big endian BSD box.

PK
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Maximum memory and graphics options (plain text)

Larry Hynes
In reply to this post by Bryan Vyhmeister-3
Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 09:42:33PM +0000, Larry Hynes wrote:
>> Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 05:57:20PM +0000, Peter Kay wrote:
>> >> macppc is 32bit, is it limited to 2GB memory like FreeBSD 32bit
>> >> powerpc? I have a dual core G5 with 4.5GB, and it's showing only 2GB
>> >> and the wrong SPD information (it initially only showed 1GB, but that
>> >> was because the slots hadn't been correctly filled).
>>
>> > That appears to be the case. I have more than 4GB (I think 8.5GB) in my
>> > PowerMac11,2 and it only recognizes 2GB. There are some issues with the
>> > SATA controller as well that I have mentioned in threads a few months
>> > back on this list. I purchased some more SATA controller hardware to see
>> > what I can figure out but have not had time to work on it further.
>>
>> I'm running 6.0 -release on an 11,2, and dmesg shows:
>>
>>       spdmem0 at mem0: 256MB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
>>       spdmem1 at mem0: 256MB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
>>       spdmem2 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
>>       spdmem3 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL5
>>
>> so I was assuming that it was recognising - and making use of -
>> 2.5GB. Is this not so?

> Not necessarily. What does top(1) show if you add up the real and free
> memory?

        Memory: Real: 228M/650M act/tot
        Free: 1272M Cache: 381M Swap: 0K/2816M

which would gel with your theory.

> In my PowerMac7,3 I show:
> spdmem0 at mem0: 128MB DDR SDRAM non-parity PC3200CL3.0
> spdmem1 at mem0: 128MB DDR SDRAM non-parity PC3200CL3.0
> spdmem2 at mem0: 256MB DDR SDRAM non-parity PC3200CL3.0
> spdmem3 at mem0: 256MB DDR SDRAM non-parity PC3200CL3.0
>
> I show almost 750MB in top(1) which is about right. With my
> PowerMac11,2, I show:
> spdmem0 at mem0: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
> spdmem1 at mem0: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
> spdmem2 at mem0: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
> spdmem3 at mem0: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL4
> spdmem4 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL5
> spdmem5 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL5
> spdmem6 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL5
> spdmem7 at mem0: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM non-parity PC2-4200CL5

Ah - OK, I see. I think 'recognised' threw me. The memory appears
to be recognised, just not in use. That would make sense. It's a
good job I didn't order that extra RAM!

Loading...