Max IPs per Interface

mail.obsd
Good Morning,

Could someone tell me what the maximum number of IP addresses OBSD will support per interface is please?

I'd like to setup in excess of 255 IPs on my external firewall interface, and I'm wondering how BSD will handle this.

Please advise.

Regards,
Garron Kramer

believed to be clean.

Re: Max IPs per Interface

fuzzyping
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:21:13 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> Could someone tell me what the maximum number of IP addresses OBSD will
> support per interface is please?
>
> I'd like to setup in excess of 255 IPs on my external firewall interface,
> and I'm wondering how BSD will handle this.

I can't imagine that OpenBSD has a theoretical maximum on the number of IPs an interface can handle.  It's unlikely that you'd ever be allocated enough IPv4 addresses to test the limits.  If you don't already know how to manage >255 addresses, you need to read up on CIDR.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting
http://www.dixongroup.net

Re: Max IPs per Interface

Claudio Jeker
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 11:21:13AM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> Could someone tell me what the maximum number of IP addresses OBSD will support per interface is please?
>
> I'd like to setup in excess of 255 IPs on my external firewall interface, and I'm wondering how BSD will handle this.

If you need that many IP's have a look at lo(4) and the link1 flag. That's
way more efficent than hundereds of aliases.

--
:wq Claudio