Mail : MRA MDA LDA e-mail processors in OpenBSD

Mail : MRA MDA LDA e-mail processors in OpenBSD

Lampshade
Hello,
I am casual OpenBSD user. I use it on laptop. I don't have servers and do
*not* want to create my own mail service. I use what crowd uses:
I have Yahoo, Gmail, Yandex mail accounts.

I would like to use mutt and shell scripts for mail notification etc.
To accomplish this I want to have local copy of mail in
Maildir format.
What MRA do you use for that? Getmail, fetchmail or something else?
Is there something in OpenBSD's base for that?

I would also like to do some things with mail for example
get rid off attachments for mail in one account and do reverse,
opposite on the other account: just backup attachments saving them
in normal file names with appropriate extensins in file names,
not inside other Maildir messages.
To accomplish this I think, but I am not sure, I need MDA such as
procmail or maildrop or something similar.
What do you use? I want something quite secure and not much
complicated. It does *not* need to be feature rich.
Bonus points for software in OpenBSD's base.

Re: Mail : MRA MDA LDA e-mail processors in OpenBSD

Marcus MERIGHI
[hidden email] (Lampshade), 2016.03.26 (Sat) 12:35 (CET):
> I am casual OpenBSD user. I use it on laptop. I don't have servers and
> do *not* want to create my own mail service. I use what crowd uses:
> I have Yahoo, Gmail, Yandex mail accounts.
>
> I would like to use mutt and shell scripts for mail notification etc.
> To accomplish this I want to have local copy of mail in
> Maildir format.
> What MRA do you use for that? Getmail, fetchmail or something else?

I don't know what "MRA" means, but for fetching:

fdm is a simple, lightweight replacement for mail fetch, filter and
delivery programs such as fetchmail and procmail. It can fetch using
POP3 or IMAP (with SSL) or from stdin, and deliver to a pipe, file,
maildir, mbox or SMTP server, based on regexps.
Maintainer: Nicholas Marriott <[hidden email]>

If you want to sync:

OfflineIMAP is  a  tool  to   simplify   your   e-mail  reading.   With
OfflineIMAP,  you  can  read  the same mailbox from multiple computers.
You get a current copy of your messages on each computer,  and  changes
you make one place will be visible on all other systems.  For instance,
you can delete a message on your home  computer,  and  it  will  appear
deleted  on  your work computer as well.  OfflineIMAP is also useful if
you want to use a mail reader that does not have IMAP support, has poor
IMAP support, or does not provide disconnected operation.

Both are in ports/packages, both work for me(tm).

> Is there something in OpenBSD's base for that?

Don't think so.

> I would also like to do some things with mail for example
> get rid off attachments for mail in one account and do reverse,
> opposite on the other account: just backup attachments saving them
> in normal file names with appropriate extensins in file names,
> not inside other Maildir messages.
> To accomplish this I think, but I am not sure, I need MDA such as
> procmail or maildrop or something similar.
> What do you use? I want something quite secure and not much
> complicated. It does *not* need to be feature rich.
> Bonus points for software in OpenBSD's base.

I'd be interested to hear how long it has taken you from the current
status to "mission accomplished". About 20 years on my part...
without "mission accomplished".

Bye, Marcus

> !DSPAM:56f673f982709906019753!

Re: Mail : MRA MDA LDA e-mail processors in OpenBSD

Lampshade
>I don't know what "MRA" means, but for fetching:

According to Wikipedia's "Email agent" there are:

    Mail user agent (MUA)
    Mail submission agent (MSA)
    Mail access agent (MAA)
    Mail transfer agent (MTA)
    Mail delivery agent (MDA)
    Mail retrieval agent (MRA)

Re: removing attachments for all mail in mutt

Tadas
On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 12:35:10PM +0100, Lampshade wrote:
> get rid off attachments for mail
Once a month I use mutt's <Esc>C (decode-copy) for all mail and save it
to other dir. "auto_view text/html" in muttrc (don't forget mailcap)
makes mutt to convert html mails to text. I also have "unignore
message-id in-reply-to references" in muttrc to preserve threads in case
decode-copy weeds headers.