Macppc G3 Powerbook - Install Fails

Roy Morris-4
I have a buddy over who wants to put OpenBSD 3.8 on his macppc G3
powerbook (bronze keyboard) we burn tested the boot cd on a G4 Powerbook
and it does boot fine. When booting on the G3 none of the normal
installation methods work, it just seems to go right
by the cd and boot into the mac os. Any ideas what we might be doing wrong?

Thanks!
Rm

Re: Macppc G3 Powerbook - Install Fails

Martin Reindl
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 08:26:03PM -0500, Roy Morris wrote:
> I have a buddy over who wants to put OpenBSD 3.8 on his macppc G3
> powerbook (bronze keyboard) we burn tested the boot cd on a G4 Powerbook
> and it does boot fine. When booting on the G3 none of the normal
> installation methods work, it just seems to go right
> by the cd and boot into the mac os. Any ideas what we might be doing wrong?

How should the hardware know that it should boot from CD? Press 'C' or
switch-appel-o-f to get into OF and boot from there as described in the docs.

Re: Macppc G3 Powerbook - Install Fails

Bob Ababurko-2
Roy Morris wrote:

> I have a buddy over who wants to put OpenBSD 3.8 on his macppc G3
> powerbook (bronze keyboard) we burn tested the boot cd on a G4 Powerbook
> and it does boot fine. When booting on the G3 none of the normal
> installation methods work, it just seems to go right
> by the cd and boot into the mac os. Any ideas what we might be doing wrong?
>
> Thanks!
> Rm

If this is an oldworld (before circa 1988) you cannot boot from a cd.
Google your model to see if it is.  Otherwise, you could try to boot the
laptop while pressing cmd+opt+shift+delete to skip the first bootable
device....I believe it is something like that.

You may also look into the ramdisk booting method, if your machine will
not boot off of a cd.

Good Luck,
bob

Martin Reindl wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 08:26:03PM -0500, Roy Morris wrote:
>

>>I have a buddy over who wants to put OpenBSD 3.8 on his macppc G3
>>powerbook (bronze keyboard) we burn tested the boot cd on a G4 Powerbook
>>and it does boot fine. When booting on the G3 none of the normal
>>installation methods work, it just seems to go right
>>by the cd and boot into the mac os. Any ideas what we might be doing wrong?
>>

>How should the hardware know that it should boot from CD? Press 'C' or
>switch-appel-o-f to get into OF and boot from there as described in the docs.

Thanks we have tried all the examples in the docs. We get to the
ofw prompt and have tried

boot cd:,ofwboot /3.8/macppc/bsd.rd
and putting the two files on the hard drive and booting
using
boot hd:,ofwboot bsd.rd

no go on any of them.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 08:49:30PM -0500, Roy Morris wrote:

> Martin Reindl wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 08:26:03PM -0500, Roy Morris wrote:
> >

> >>I have a buddy over who wants to put OpenBSD 3.8 on his macppc G3
> >>powerbook (bronze keyboard) we burn tested the boot cd on a G4 Powerbook
> >>and it does boot fine. When booting on the G3 none of the normal
> >>installation methods work, it just seems to go right
> >>by the cd and boot into the mac os. Any ideas what we might be doing
> >>wrong?
> >>

> >How should the hardware know that it should boot from CD? Press 'C' or
> >switch-appel-o-f to get into OF and boot from there as described in the
> >docs.
> >

> Thanks we have tried all the examples in the docs. We get to the
> ofw prompt and have tried
>
> boot cd:,ofwboot /3.8/macppc/bsd.rd
> and putting the two files on the hard drive and booting
> using
> boot hd:,ofwboot bsd.rd
>
> no go on any of them.

Errors?

Check http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=113106400907764&w=2.

Martin Reindl wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 08:49:30PM -0500, Roy Morris wrote:
>

>>Martin Reindl wrote:

>>>How should the hardware know that it should boot from CD? Press 'C' or
>>>switch-appel-o-f to get into OF and boot from there as described in the
>>>docs.
>>>

>>Thanks we have tried all the examples in the docs. We get to the
>>ofw prompt and have tried
>>
>>boot cd:,ofwboot /3.8/macppc/bsd.rd
>>and putting the two files on the hard drive and booting
>>using
>>boot hd:,ofwboot bsd.rd
>>
>>no go on any of them.
>>

>Errors?
>
>Check http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-ppc&m=113106400907764&w=2.

actually there are no errors. it flickers a black screen then boots into
the mac OS.

Re: Macppc G3 Powerbook - Install Fails

Gaby vanhegan
On 16 Nov 2005, at 01:43, Bob Ababurko wrote:

> If this is an oldworld (before circa 1988) you cannot boot from a
> cd. Google your model to see if it is.  Otherwise, you could try to
> boot the laptop while pressing cmd+opt+shift+delete to skip the
> first bootable device....I believe it is something like that.

I think if you hold down the C key whilst booting, it might do it.

Gaby

--
Junkets for bunterish lickspittles since 1998!
[hidden email]
http://weblog.vanhegan.net/

Re: Macppc G3 Powerbook - Install Fails

Sam Vaughan
On 16/11/2005, at 12:43 PM, Bob Ababurko wrote:

> If this is an oldworld (before circa 1988) you cannot boot from a
> cd. Google your model to see if it is.  Otherwise, you could try to
> boot the laptop while pressing cmd+opt+shift+delete to skip the
> first bootable device....I believe it is something like that.
>
> You may also look into the ramdisk booting method, if your machine
> will not boot off of a cd.
>
> Good Luck,
> bob

For what it's worth, OpenBSD will run on a bronze keyboard Powerbook G3
333MHz - the model prior to the first one with Firewire ports.  I had to
try several times to get it to recognise the CD, but I think that was
thanks to a flaky CD drive.  dmesg below.

Sam

[ using 308668 bytes of bsd ELF symbol table ]
console out [ATY,264LTProA]console in [keyboard] ADB found
using parent ATY,LTProParent:: memaddr 81000000 size 1000000, :
consaddr 81000000, : ioaddr 80881000, size 1000: memtag 8800, iotag
8800: width 1024 linebytes 1024 height 768 depth 8
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
         The Regents of the University of California.  All rights
reserved.
Copyright (c) 1995-2005 OpenBSD. All rights reserved.  http://
www.OpenBSD.org

OpenBSD 3.7 (GENERIC) #225: Sun Mar 20 00:55:39 MST 2005
     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/compile/GENERIC
real mem = 402653184 (393216K)
avail mem = 360964096 (352504K)
using 1254 buffers containing 20131840 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: 750 (Revision 0x8202): 333 MHz: 512KB backside cache
mpcpcibr0 at mainbus0: grackle, Revision 0x40
pci0 at mpcpcibr0 bus 0
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Motorola MPC106 PCI" rev 0x40
ohci0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0 "AT&T/Lucent USB" rev 0x12: irq 28,
version 1.0
usb0 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: AT&T/Lucent OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
macobio0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 "Apple Paddington" rev 0x00
macintr0 at macobio0
zsc0 at macobio0: irq 15,16
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1
awacs0 at macobio0: irq 17,8,9 speaker
audio0 at awacs0
adb0 at macobio0 irq 18: via-pmu 3 targets
aed0 at adb0 addr 0: ADB Event device
akbd0 at adb0 addr 2: PowerBook G4 keyboard (Inverted T)
wskbd0 at akbd0 (mux 1 ignored for console): console keyboard
ams0 at adb0 addr 3: EMP trackpad <tpad> 2-button, 400 dpi
wsmouse0 at ams0 mux 0
abtn0 at adb0 addr 7: brightness/volume/eject buttons
apm0 at adb0: battery flags 0x5, 100% charged
wdc0 at macobio0 irq 13: DMA
wd0 at wdc0 channel 0 drive 0: <FUJITSU MHH2048AT>
wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 4645MB, 9514260 sectors
wd0(wdc0:0:0): using BIOS timings, DMA mode 2
mediabay0 at macobio0 irq 29
wdc1 at mediabay0 offset 0x21000 irq 14: DMA
atapiscsi0 at wdc1 channel 0 drive 0
scsibus0 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <MATSHITA, CD-ROM CR-175, 5AAE> SCSI0 5/
cdrom removable
cd0(wdc1:0:0): using BIOS timings, DMA mode 2
bm0 at macobio0 irq 42,33: address 00:50:e4:00:af:41
ukphy0 at bm0 phy 0: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
ukphy0: OUI 0x080017, model 0x0001, rev. 0
vgafb0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0 "ATI Mach64 LI" rev 0xdc, mmio
wsdisplay0 at vgafb0: console (std, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0
cbb0 at pci0 dev 19 function 0 "Texas Instruments PCI1211 CardBus"
rev 0x00: irq 22
cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 1 device 0 cacheline 0x8, lattimer 0x20
pcmcia0 at cardslot0
bootpath: '/pci/mac-io/ata-3@20000/disk@0/bsd'
boot device: wd0.
root on wd0a
rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0xb00 rawdev=0xb02

Re: Macppc G3 Powerbook - Install Fails

Charlie Farinella
On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 20:49, Roy Morris wrote:
> Martin Reindl wrote:
> >
> >How should the hardware know that it should boot from CD? Press 'C' or
> >switch-appel-o-f to get into OF and boot from there as described in the docs.

> Thanks we have tried all the examples in the docs. We get to the
> ofw prompt and have tried
>
> boot cd:,ofwboot /3.8/macppc/bsd.rd
> and putting the two files on the hard drive and booting
> using
> boot hd:,ofwboot bsd.rd
>
> no go on any of them.

I don't know if this will help, but I just did this on a blue&white
PowerMac.

Try:
boot hd:,ofwboot bsd

leave off the .rd.