Mac mini and OpenBSD

Sime Ramov
Hello,

I'm thinking on buying new Mac mini (latest revision). I've seen on OpenBSD
that it's mostly supported exept built-in modem, bluetooth and airport
express wirelless card.

So, my question is: does someone here runs OpenBSD on Mac mini? I want to
hear experiences from the first hand. Is it usable? What is problematic?
Does it runs smoothly as on i386 (686)?

Mac OS X *is* great OS, but I just love OpenBSD -- Configuring took quite
a bit of time, but it's woth it -- once you get everthing set up, it's very
pleasant experience.

BTW, it will be used as a desktop workstation. I know, I know, OS X is
better suited for that, but I run OpenBSD now as desktop and I'm happy :)
http://coastaldisturbance.com/

Re: Mac mini and OpenBSD

Antoine Jacoutot
Selon Sime Ramov <[hidden email]>:
> So, my question is: does someone here runs OpenBSD on Mac mini? I want to
> hear experiences from the first hand. Is it usable? What is problematic?
> Does it runs smoothly as on i386 (686)?

I played a bit with the mini (I own a Powerbook myself) under OpenBSD and
everything worked as advertised.
Mind you I did not test every possible things on it, but it looked like it works
fine. What you will not have is the Linux emulation (which only run on i386),
but I don't know if that's important to you.
Another thing to consider... from my experience (I don't know if others can
confirm that), disk accesses on macppc are very slow compared to MacOS X ;at
least, this is what I have been experiencing with my Powerbook and the Mini I
tried.

Regards,

Antoine

Re: Mac mini and OpenBSD

Sime Ramov
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 04:18:16PM +0000, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> fine. What you will not have is the Linux emulation (which only run on i386),
> but I don't know if that's important to you.

At this moment I don't need it yet. But I think it's needed for
OpenOffice.org and flash player in browsers...

> Another thing to consider... from my experience (I don't know if others can
> confirm that), disk accesses on macppc are very slow compared to MacOS X ;at
> least, this is what I have been experiencing with my Powerbook and the Mini I
> tried.

Thanks for report. Does anybody else experienced slow disk access?
http://coastaldisturbance.com/

Re: Mac mini and OpenBSD

stephane matis
On 11/30/05, Sime Ramov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for report. Does anybody else experienced slow disk access?

Not an OpenBSD report per say, but I'm aware my friends Mini is slow
even under Mac OS X. The reason is simple, 4200RPM laptop drive.  His
external drive is blazing fast in contrast.

Re: Mac mini and OpenBSD

Sime Ramov
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 12:20:13PM -0500, stephane matis wrote:
> Not an OpenBSD report per say, but I'm aware my friends Mini is slow
> even under Mac OS X. The reason is simple, 4200RPM laptop drive.  His
> external drive is blazing fast in contrast.

Yes, I know that it's 4200RPM, but I think they replaced it with 80GB
5400RPM in latest revision?

Can someone confirm what kind of HDD (how many RPM) is in latest Mac
mini revision?
http://coastaldisturbance.com/

Re: Mac mini and OpenBSD

Reid Nichol
--- Sime Ramov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking on buying new Mac mini (latest
> revision). I've seen on OpenBSD that it's mostly
> supported exept built-in modem, bluetooth and
> airport express wirelless card.

I don't have any of those options on my mini so I
can't say anything about them.

> So, my question is: does someone here runs OpenBSD
> on Mac mini? I want to hear experiences from the
> first hand. Is it usable?

Certainly!

> What is problematic?

There are problems getting X going.  Though they seem
to be all solvable.  Search the archives for
solutions.
This seems to be the only problem that people are
having with the mini that I can see and have felt
myself.

> Does it runs smoothly as on i386 (686)?

Before the mini I ran OBSD on i386 and have found that
the only differences is that some ports will only run
on i386 and the mini has some slower (barely) load
times.

The slower load times are probably due to the
mentioned
lower rpm hdd.  If the hdd has been upgraded, as has
been suggested, then this "problem" should be
resolved.

I'll also note that this "problem," although
noticeable,
is not problematic.  So, I wouldn't let it affect your
decision.

You can also dual boot with OSX (I do :)).

> Mac OS X *is* great OS, but I just love OpenBSD --
> Configuring took quite a bit of time, but it's woth
> it -- once you get everthing set up, it's very
> pleasant experience.
>
> BTW, it will be used as a desktop workstation. I
> know, I know, OS X is better suited for that, but
> I run OpenBSD now as desktop and I'm happy :)

What is better suited for *you* is only dependent on
what *you* will use it for.

For instance, I've been running OBSD as my desktop for
years and haven't looked back.  But, I'd never
recommend OBSD for my parents ;)

IMO, the mini is a great machine and my personal
view is that it is a great purchase.  At least, I'm
happy with mine :)

best regards,
Reid Nichol

"We're in a giant car heading into a brick wall at 100 miles/hr and everybody's arguing about where they want to sit."
-David Suzuki
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

Re: Mac mini and OpenBSD

Antoine Jacoutot
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, stephane matis wrote:

> On 11/30/05, Sime Ramov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not an OpenBSD report per say, but I'm aware my friends Mini is slow
> even under Mac OS X. The reason is simple, 4200RPM laptop drive.  His

I know that, but still, the HD is way faster when accessed under MacOS X
(read and write).
Again, I never checked more than that and I never reported anything
because I never had the time to look deeper in it. So don't take my word
for it, as I said, it is _not_ a report, it's just what I've been
experiencing... but don't trust me on that.

Antoine

Re: Mac mini and OpenBSD

Sime Ramov
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:24:44AM -0800, Reid Nichol wrote:
> IMO, the mini is a great machine and my personal
> view is that it is a great purchase.  At least, I'm
> happy with mine :)

Thanks for all the info. However, I received email telling me that you
can't get sound working with OpenBSD and Mac mini?

For me, sound is very important...
http://coastaldisturbance.com/

Re: Mac mini and OpenBSD

Otto Moerbeek
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Sime Ramov wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:24:44AM -0800, Reid Nichol wrote:
> > IMO, the mini is a great machine and my personal
> > view is that it is a great purchase.  At least, I'm
> > happy with mine :)
>
> Thanks for all the info. However, I received email telling me that you
> can't get sound working with OpenBSD and Mac mini?
>
> For me, sound is very important...

3.8 has sound support on the mini. Only volume control does not work.

        -Otto

Re: Mac mini and OpenBSD

Joel Rees
On 2005.12.1, at 02:37 AM, Sime Ramov wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 12:20:13PM -0500, stephane matis wrote:
>> Not an OpenBSD report per say, but I'm aware my friends Mini is slow
>> even under Mac OS X. The reason is simple, 4200RPM laptop drive.  His
>> external drive is blazing fast in contrast.
>
> Yes, I know that it's 4200RPM, but I think they replaced it with 80GB
> 5400RPM in latest revision?
>
> Can someone confirm what kind of HDD (how many RPM) is in latest Mac
> mini revision?

I was going to refer you to Apple's hardware pages, but I see that,
while the hard disk size is specified there, the speed does not seem to
be.