Mac mini G4

fugu1
So, I have install macppc version of openbsd 4.7 on my macppc.
Everything works. Big thanks to openbsd team.
I have one question: Is the any way to put the mini
in "server" mode (make it boot automatically after Power Loss)?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Mac mini G4

Tasmanian Devil
> I have one question: Is the any way to put the mini
> in "server" mode (make it boot automatically after Power Loss)?

There's info about how to do this on PPC with Linux on
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/macminicolo_howto.html - maybe
you can translate that to OpenBSD yourself. I don't know of any info
about this for PPC/OpenBSD, unfortunately.

The way I do it on my Intel Mac mini probably won't work on PPC, but
just in case, more info is in the misc archive, e.g. here:
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=120631459418290&w=2

Tas.

Re: Mac mini G4

fugu1
Thanks., maybe I should have RTFM before I posted :)

The following is from: http://www.openbsd.org/41.html
"The OpenBSD/macppc platform now automatically turns the machine back on following an unexpected loss of power."

So I will have to test(and ruin my uptime) when I get home.

> > I have one question: Is the any way to put the mini
> > in "server" mode (make it boot automatically after Power Loss)?
>
> There's info about how to do this on PPC with Linux on
> http://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/macminicolo_howto.html - maybe
> you can translate that to OpenBSD yourself. I don't know of any info
> about this for PPC/OpenBSD, unfortunately.
>
> The way I do it on my Intel Mac mini probably won't work on PPC, but
> just in case, more info is in the misc archive, e.g. here:
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=120631459418290&w=2
>
> Tas.

Re: Mac mini G4

Fred Snurd
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have one question: Is the any way to put the mini
> in "server" mode (make it boot automatically after Power Loss)?

While asking about server mode, is it also possible to run a PPC mini headless?

Thanks.

Re: Mac mini G4

Michal-55
On 01/07/2010 14:15, Fred Snurd wrote:
> "[hidden email]"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I have one question: Is the any way to put the mini
>> in "server" mode (make it boot automatically after Power Loss)?
>
> While asking about server mode, is it also possible to run a PPC mini headless?
>
> Thanks.

Yes there is a hack using a VGA connector and a resistor...if it's what
I'm thinking about

Re: Mac mini G4

John Wright-6
On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 06:15:16AM -0700, Fred Snurd wrote:
> "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have one question: Is the any way to put the mini
> > in "server" mode (make it boot automatically after Power Loss)?
>
> While asking about server mode, is it also possible to run a PPC mini headless?

I have mine headless and it starts up fine.

Re: Mac mini G4

Bryan Vyhmeister-2
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Fred Snurd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have one question: Is the any way to put the mini
>> in "server" mode (make it boot automatically after Power Loss)?
>
> While asking about server mode, is it also possible to run a PPC mini headless?

If you just leave the DVI to VGA adapter plugged in it boots fine with
a Mac mini G4. In my experience it will not boot without the adapter
installed.

Bryan

Re: Mac mini G4

FUGU
I second that

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 02:22:50PM -0400, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Fred Snurd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I have one question: Is the any way to put the mini
> >> in "server" mode (make it boot automatically after Power Loss)?
> >
> > While asking about server mode, is it also possible to run a PPC mini headless?
>
> If you just leave the DVI to VGA adapter plugged in it boots fine with
> a Mac mini G4. In my experience it will not boot without the adapter
> installed.
>
> Bryan

Re: Mac mini G4

FUGU
Also, while we are at it, does anyone know if openbsd supports
the latest apple usb ethernet adapter?
I see that the AXE(4) driver supports Apple USB Ethernet Adapter A1277
but no info on the latest one
thanks...

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 02:22:50PM -0400, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Fred Snurd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I have one question: Is the any way to put the mini
> >> in "server" mode (make it boot automatically after Power Loss)?
> >
> > While asking about server mode, is it also possible to run a PPC mini
headless?

> If you just leave the DVI to VGA adapter plugged in it boots fine with
> a Mac mini G4. In my experience it will not boot without the adapter
> installed.
>
> Bryan

Re: Mac mini G4

Bryan Vyhmeister-2
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM, FUGU <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also, while we are at it, does anyone know if openbsd supports
> the latest apple usb ethernet adapter?
> I see that the AXE(4) driver supports Apple USB Ethernet Adapter A1277
> but no info on the latest one
> thanks...

I wasn't aware that there was a new one. The old one works great.
Since we are on the topic of ethernet, I was wondering if anyone has
experienced the gem(4) driver having issues on a Mac mini G4. I have
six Mac mini G4's of varying speeds. There are two 1.25 GHz, two 1.42
GHz, and two 1.5 GHz. I have had mixed results with the built-in
gem(4). I first noticed the problem with one of the 1.25 GHz systems.
With both identically configured, one of them would have the gem(4)
interface drop out every few days and either 'sh /etc/netstart gem0'
or a restart would restore connectivity. This was with OpenBSD/macppc
4.5 and earlier for sure but I believe 4.7 is the same because the 1.5
GHz system I just installed had trouble with gem(4) as well. Anyone
have similar experiences?

Bryan

Re: Mac mini G4

FUGU
On my G4 I 've had no probles so far with gem(4).
I have a 1.25GHz one.
Maybe we can compare logs on this.
However, my mini is not under any heavy network load.
I have it as a DMZ host with snort enabled and
a simple pf config. Nothing much.Just testing so far(7 days)

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 01:07:21AM -0400, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM, FUGU <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Also, while we are at it, does anyone know if openbsd supports
> > the latest apple usb ethernet adapter?
> > I see that the AXE(4) driver supports Apple USB Ethernet Adapter A1277
> > but no info on the latest one
> > thanks...
>
> I wasn't aware that there was a new one. The old one works great.
> Since we are on the topic of ethernet, I was wondering if anyone has
> experienced the gem(4) driver having issues on a Mac mini G4. I have
> six Mac mini G4's of varying speeds. There are two 1.25 GHz, two 1.42
> GHz, and two 1.5 GHz. I have had mixed results with the built-in
> gem(4). I first noticed the problem with one of the 1.25 GHz systems.
> With both identically configured, one of them would have the gem(4)
> interface drop out every few days and either 'sh /etc/netstart gem0'
> or a restart would restore connectivity. This was with OpenBSD/macppc
> 4.5 and earlier for sure but I believe 4.7 is the same because the 1.5
> GHz system I just installed had trouble with gem(4) as well. Anyone
> have similar experiences?
>
> Bryan

Re: Mac mini G4

Bryan Vyhmeister-2
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:50 AM, FUGU <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On my G4 I 've had no probles so far with gem(4).
> I have a 1.25GHz one.
> Maybe we can compare logs on this.
> However, my mini is not under any heavy network load.
> I have it as a DMZ host with snort enabled and
> a simple pf config. Nothing much.Just testing so far(7 days)

I'll watch my logs again. I never could pin it down to anything in
particular. It also seemed that either the Mac mini had the problem
and it showed up within a couple of days even with light network
traffic or it didn't have the problem at all. Your machine probably
does not have the issue.

Bryan

Re: Mac mini G4

FUGU
Just to report that after a power failure my mac mini G4
with openBSD 4.7 macppc powered up automagically :)