MOP boot?

Christian Weisgerber
Out of morbid curiosity, and because we have mopd(8), I tried to
netboot an AlphaServer 800 with MOP instead of BOOTP.

That doesn't quite work.  SRM successfully talks to mopd and fetches
the boot program (I offered the normal "netboot" as <ether address>.SYS),
but then fails to run it.

----------------
>>>boot -protocols mop ewa0

ewa0: link up : Negotiated  100BaseTX: full duplex
(boot ewa0.0.0.11.0)

Trying MOP boot.
..

Network load complete.
bootstrap code read in
base = 1d6000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 0
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at ffce000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code

halted CPU 0

halt code = 2
kernel stack not valid halt
PC = fffffc0000812f64
boot failure

----------------

The crucial difference for BOOTP seems to be this:

base = 1d6000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = d6a4

Hmm.  There's

                netboot = (strncasecmp(b->protocol, "BOOTP", 5) == 0) ||
                    (strncasecmp(b->protocol, "MOP", 3) == 0);

all over /sys/arch/alpha/alpha/dec_*.c, so at some point MOP booting
must have seemed like a possibility.

Oh well.  There is zero need for this, BOOTP works just fine, so
yeah, I just thought I'd mention it.

Re: MOP boot?

Simon Fryer-2
All,

On 26 May 2011 08:13, Christian Weisgerber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Out of morbid curiosity, and because we have mopd(8), I tried to
> netboot an AlphaServer 800 with MOP instead of BOOTP.

Good work.

> That doesn't quite work.  SRM successfully talks to mopd and fetches
> the boot program (I offered the normal "netboot" as <ether address>.SYS),
> but then fails to run it.

I find most devices (terminal servers) that want to boot a MOP image
know the name of the file that they want to download. The name of the
file isn't normally the ethernet address. In the past I have used
tcpdump[1] to listen to the ethernet interface[2] and see the name of
the MOP image that is being requested. I can't say that I have tried
to MOP boot OpenBSD yet[3].

[chomp]

[1] Yes, but I know MOP has nothing to do with IP but tcpdump knows about
MOP.
[2] I specifically own some 100BaseT hubs for this. There are some
things that switches make difficult.
[3] I should try MOP booting OpenBSD as I have a couple of Alphas that
I need to boot and want to run OpenBSD on. In the past to install
OpenBSD on Alpha hardware I have booting and installed Tru64 (I have
original CDs). From there, copying the OpenBSD ramdisk kernel into the
Tru64 /. Then booting the ramdisk kernel and installing over the top
of the Tru64 install.

Simon

"Well, an engineer is not concerned with the truth; that is left to
philosophers and theologians: the prime concern of an engineer is
the utility of the final product."
Lectures on the Electrical Properties of Materials, L.Solymar, D.Walsh