Looking for replacement of thinkpad x201

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for replacement of thinkpad x201

Florian Obser-2
I need some help since I'm terrible with hardware...

So my x201 main hacking laptop is getting old and benno@ is always
mocking me for the amount of gaffer and stickers that are holding it
together.

Long story short, I'm in the market for a new thinkpad.
Yes it has to be a thinkpad. I require the pointing stick and 3
physical mouse buttons.

On the x201 I like the ease of changing the HDD and battery. I would
prefer if that was the case with the new one.

So what's the done thing here? I'm not a hardware hacker, so I want a
kinda fully supported one. That means accelerated X and working wifi
(this is probably not an issue with stsp@'s hard work). Also I'm happy
with the size of the x201, I don't want to lug a brick around, so that
means an x series laptop. As a first approximation assume that money is
not an issue.

Thanks,
Florian

--
I'm not entirely sure you are real.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for replacement of thinkpad x201

David Coppa
On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Florian Obser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need some help since I'm terrible with hardware...
>
> So my x201 main hacking laptop is getting old and benno@ is always
> mocking me for the amount of gaffer and stickers that are holding it
> together.
>
> Long story short, I'm in the market for a new thinkpad.
> Yes it has to be a thinkpad. I require the pointing stick and 3
> physical mouse buttons.
>
> On the x201 I like the ease of changing the HDD and battery. I would
> prefer if that was the case with the new one.
>
> So what's the done thing here? I'm not a hardware hacker, so I want a
> kinda fully supported one. That means accelerated X and working wifi
> (this is probably not an issue with stsp@'s hard work). Also I'm happy
> with the size of the x201, I don't want to lug a brick around, so that
> means an x series laptop. As a first approximation assume that money is
> not an issue.

I'd go for a refurbished X230 (Sandy Bridge, so fully working accelerated X).
Then you can upgrade it with 16GB of ram and a SSD harddisk.

CIAO!
David

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for replacement of thinkpad x201

Florian Ermisch
In reply to this post by Florian Obser-2
Hi Florian,

the maintainability of the x2?? Thinkpads
dropped from great to good(ish) starting
with the x230. With the recent ones you
have to remove the bottom half of the case
to access anything but the rear battery*,
see [0].
But at least the x250 and the x260 have
dedicated buttons for the trackpoint again.
With the x260 support for a 16gb RAM stick (now DDR4) in the single slot is
now official
but it's not clear if you can have both a 2.5"
(7mm thick) drive and a m.2/NVMe SSD.
The option of having an m.2/_SATA_ SSD sure
is gone from what I've found.

You may also want to look at the slightly
bigger t440 (14") which can have both a 2.5"
and a m.2 drive and also (officially) supports
32gb of RAM.

HTH, Florian

PS: Yes, I've been looking at the new
    Thinkpads a lot lately, but I rarely carry
    mine around so 14" isn't a problem - and
    also want lots of RAM for ZFS & bhyve ;)

*) The optional integrated front battery still is a "Field Replaceable" Unit,
just not as easy to swap as the rear one ;)

[0]
http://www.laptopmain.com/how-to-disassemble-lenovo-thinkpad-x260-to-upgrade-
ssd-and-ram/

Am 26. Februar 2017 09:19:32 MEZ schrieb Florian Obser <[hidden email]>:

> I need some help since I'm terrible with hardware...
>
> So my x201 main hacking laptop is getting old and benno@ is always
> mocking me for the amount of gaffer and stickers that are holding it
> together.
>
> Long story short, I'm in the market for a new thinkpad.
> Yes it has to be a thinkpad. I require the pointing stick and 3
> physical mouse buttons.
>
> On the x201 I like the ease of changing the HDD and battery. I would
> prefer if that was the case with the new one.
>
> So what's the done thing here? I'm not a hardware hacker, so I want a
> kinda fully supported one. That means accelerated X and working wifi
> (this is probably not an issue with stsp@'s hard work). Also I'm happy
> with the size of the x201, I don't want to lug a brick around, so that
> means an x series laptop. As a first approximation assume that money
> is
> not an issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Florian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for replacement of thinkpad x201

Karl Pettersson
In reply to this post by Florian Obser-2
I run OpenBSD (dual boot with Linux) on an X250, which I bought in January
with the price about 50 percent discounted, because it is being replaced
with X260. There is also a rather helpful blogpost from 2016 on setting it up on
this model:

https://blogs.fsfe.org/h2/2016/01/15/openbsd-on-the-thinkpad-x250/

Regards,
Karl Pettersson

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 08:19:32AM +0000, Florian Obser wrote:

> I need some help since I'm terrible with hardware...
>
> So my x201 main hacking laptop is getting old and benno@ is always
> mocking me for the amount of gaffer and stickers that are holding it
> together.
>
> Long story short, I'm in the market for a new thinkpad.
> Yes it has to be a thinkpad. I require the pointing stick and 3
> physical mouse buttons.
>
> On the x201 I like the ease of changing the HDD and battery. I would
> prefer if that was the case with the new one.
>
> So what's the done thing here? I'm not a hardware hacker, so I want a
> kinda fully supported one. That means accelerated X and working wifi
> (this is probably not an issue with stsp@'s hard work). Also I'm happy
> with the size of the x201, I don't want to lug a brick around, so that
> means an x series laptop. As a first approximation assume that money is
> not an issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Florian
>
> --
> I'm not entirely sure you are real.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for replacement of thinkpad x201

Karl Pettersson
In reply to this post by Florian Obser-2
Since January, I run OpenBSD (dual boot with Linux) on an X250. There is
also a rather helpful blogpost (from January 2016)on configuring the system
on this model:

https://blogs.fsfe.org/h2/2016/01/15/openbsd-on-the-thinkpad-x250/

Regards,
Karl Pettersson

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 08:19:32AM +0000, Florian Obser wrote:

> I need some help since I'm terrible with hardware...
>
> So my x201 main hacking laptop is getting old and benno@ is always
> mocking me for the amount of gaffer and stickers that are holding it
> together.
>
> Long story short, I'm in the market for a new thinkpad.
> Yes it has to be a thinkpad. I require the pointing stick and 3
> physical mouse buttons.
>
> On the x201 I like the ease of changing the HDD and battery. I would
> prefer if that was the case with the new one.
>
> So what's the done thing here? I'm not a hardware hacker, so I want a
> kinda fully supported one. That means accelerated X and working wifi
> (this is probably not an issue with stsp@'s hard work). Also I'm happy
> with the size of the x201, I don't want to lug a brick around, so that
> means an x series laptop. As a first approximation assume that money is
> not an issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Florian
>
> --
> I'm not entirely sure you are real.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for replacement of thinkpad x201

Isimsiz
In reply to this post by Florian Ermisch
Hi!
230+ series are kinda ugly as hell. I would recommend new 201 or 220 with
i7/ssd onboard.

2017-02-26 12:26 GMT+03:00 Florian Ermisch <[hidden email]-
berlin.de>:

> Hi Florian,
>
> the maintainability of the x2?? Thinkpads
> dropped from great to good(ish) starting
> with the x230. With the recent ones you
> have to remove the bottom half of the case
> to access anything but the rear battery*,
> see [0].
> But at least the x250 and the x260 have
> dedicated buttons for the trackpoint again.
> With the x260 support for a 16gb RAM stick (now DDR4) in the single slot is
> now official
> but it's not clear if you can have both a 2.5"
> (7mm thick) drive and a m.2/NVMe SSD.
> The option of having an m.2/_SATA_ SSD sure
> is gone from what I've found.
>
> You may also want to look at the slightly
> bigger t440 (14") which can have both a 2.5"
> and a m.2 drive and also (officially) supports
> 32gb of RAM.
>
> HTH, Florian
>
> PS: Yes, I've been looking at the new
>     Thinkpads a lot lately, but I rarely carry
>     mine around so 14" isn't a problem - and
>     also want lots of RAM for ZFS & bhyve ;)
>
> *) The optional integrated front battery still is a "Field Replaceable"
> Unit,
> just not as easy to swap as the rear one ;)
>
> [0]
> http://www.laptopmain.com/how-to-disassemble-lenovo-thinkpad
> -x260-to-upgrade-
> ssd-and-ram/
> <http://www.laptopmain.com/how-to-disassemble-lenovo-thinkpad-x260-to-upgrade-ssd-and-ram/>
>
> Am 26. Februar 2017 09:19:32 MEZ schrieb Florian Obser <
> [hidden email]>:
> > I need some help since I'm terrible with hardware...
> >
> > So my x201 main hacking laptop is getting old and benno@ is always
> > mocking me for the amount of gaffer and stickers that are holding it
> > together.
> >
> > Long story short, I'm in the market for a new thinkpad.
> > Yes it has to be a thinkpad. I require the pointing stick and 3
> > physical mouse buttons.
> >
> > On the x201 I like the ease of changing the HDD and battery. I would
> > prefer if that was the case with the new one.
> >
> > So what's the done thing here? I'm not a hardware hacker, so I want a
> > kinda fully supported one. That means accelerated X and working wifi
> > (this is probably not an issue with stsp@'s hard work). Also I'm happy
> > with the size of the x201, I don't want to lug a brick around, so that
> > means an x series laptop. As a first approximation assume that money
> > is
> > not an issue.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Florian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for replacement of thinkpad x201

Kurt H Maier
In reply to this post by Florian Ermisch
On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 10:26:58AM +0100, Florian Ermisch wrote:
> With the x260 support for a 16gb RAM stick (now DDR4) in the single
slot is
> now official
> but it's not clear if you can have both a 2.5"
> (7mm thick) drive and a m.2/NVMe SSD.
> The option of having an m.2/_SATA_ SSD sure
> is gone from what I've found.
       
My X250 shipped from Lenovo with a 16GB DIMM and I put my own m.2 ssd  
in.  I also configured it with the cache ssd, so right now I have a    
512gb 2.5" SSD for openbsd, a 512gb m.2 SSD for 9front, and a 16gb m.2  
SSD with a vfat filesystem that either one can mount.
       
If you can get over the keyboard, x250 is a very capable machine.
       
khm

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for replacement of thinkpad x201

Marcus MERIGHI
In reply to this post by Florian Obser-2
[hidden email] (Florian Obser), 2017.02.26 (Sun) 09:19 (CET):

> I need some help since I'm terrible with hardware...
>
> So my x201 main hacking laptop is getting old and benno@ is always
> mocking me for the amount of gaffer and stickers that are holding it
> together.
>
> Long story short, I'm in the market for a new thinkpad.
> Yes it has to be a thinkpad. I require the pointing stick and 3
> physical mouse buttons.
>
> On the x201 I like the ease of changing the HDD and battery. I would
> prefer if that was the case with the new one.
>
> So what's the done thing here? I'm not a hardware hacker, so I want a
> kinda fully supported one. That means accelerated X and working wifi
> (this is probably not an issue with stsp@'s hard work). Also I'm happy
> with the size of the x201, I don't want to lug a brick around, so that
> means an x series laptop. As a first approximation assume that money is
> not an issue.

A little late to the party...

I love my x220 with i7 (only these have xhci).
I think I'm not the only one as these are getting rare.

I've heard bad things about the keyboards on post-x220 lenovo
notebooks...

Marcus

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for replacement of thinkpad x201

Stuart Henderson
On 2017-02-27, Marcus MERIGHI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] (Florian Obser), 2017.02.26 (Sun) 09:19 (CET):
>> I need some help since I'm terrible with hardware...
>>
>> So my x201 main hacking laptop is getting old and benno@ is always
>> mocking me for the amount of gaffer and stickers that are holding it
>> together.
>>
>> Long story short, I'm in the market for a new thinkpad.
>> Yes it has to be a thinkpad. I require the pointing stick and 3
>> physical mouse buttons.
>>
>> On the x201 I like the ease of changing the HDD and battery. I would
>> prefer if that was the case with the new one.
>>
>> So what's the done thing here? I'm not a hardware hacker, so I want a
>> kinda fully supported one. That means accelerated X and working wifi
>> (this is probably not an issue with stsp@'s hard work). Also I'm happy
>> with the size of the x201, I don't want to lug a brick around, so that
>> means an x series laptop. As a first approximation assume that money is
>> not an issue.
>
> A little late to the party...
>
> I love my x220 with i7 (only these have xhci).

Me too, though despite cleaning it's a bit hit and miss as to whether it
boots, mine often fails with a fan error and I have to try a couple of times.

The i7 ones also have AES-NI which is useful for FDE. (It's possible that
the i5 ones may also do so with newer bios, not sure..)

> I've heard bad things about the keyboards on post-x220 lenovo
> notebooks...

Some people like them, others don't.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Looking for replacement of thinkpad x201

Kamil Cholewiński
Long time user of X200s, most beloved machine ever. Took a lot of
beating, even a Thinkpad wouldn't stand it. Took it apart for spare
parts. Screen is pretty poor compared to X220 and newer.

Currently on X250, and I like it. The keyboard is bearable but takes
some adjusting to.

Got an X220 (the last one with the classic keyboard), a gift for mom.
Now whenever I use it, I feel like I'd trade my X250 for it.

Apparently it's possible to fit an X220 keyboard into an X230 - I don't
have any X230's, didn't try, some people reported success.

Some parts (like the power socket) are compatible between X200 and X220.

The trackpoint is excellent on all the X2xx's.

<3,K.