Locating appropriate packages for webapp install w/only FreeBSD or Debian package information

Locating appropriate packages for webapp install w/only FreeBSD or Debian package information

Damon Getsman

Re: Locating appropriate packages for webapp install w/only FreeBSD or Debian package information

Mike Burns
On 2016-04-02 13.22.07 -0700, Damon Getsman wrote:
> Is there any method for locating these packages short of doing
> a search on each one of them and locating specific files and/or
> developer information?  Just curious as to whether or not I might not
> be in the loop for something that'll make life a lot simpler here.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#PkgFind

In short:

pkg_locate
pkg_info -Q
grep -l SOME_FILE_NAME /usr/ports/*/*/pkg/PLIST

-Mike

On 2016-04-03 07.54.14 -0700, Damon Getsman wrote:
> 'portmaster' which is the FreeBSD specific ports management utility

You'll probably want to read OpenBSD documentation when reading about
the OpenBSD packages and ports system.

That's section 15 of the OpenBSD FAQ: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html

>   Still kind of wondering what's up with the lack of pkg_locate, though.

To quote the FAQ section 15.2.3:

> If you're looking for a specific filename, install the pkglocatedb
> package, then use the pkg_locate command to find which package(s)
> contain that file.

And indeed:

$ pkg_info -Q pkglocatedb
pkglocatedb-1.2
$ doas pkg_add pkglocatedb
quirks-2.214 signed on 2016-04-02T21:43:21Z
pkglocatedb-1.2: ok
$ type pkg_locate
pkg_locate is /usr/local/bin/pkg_locate

-Mike