LiveCD OpenBSD to HP RISC

Luis E. Moreno
Dear Friends,

I would like to know if you have information about if there is a OpenBSD
LiveCD to HP RISC Architecture.

I need boot a Server HP 9000 L3000, (5470) in order to mount a disk volume
to change the root password.

The Server had a lot of time that doesn4t work, I mean, It had a lot off
with out turn on,  but we turn on recently and it works very well, but
nobody remember the root password. I thinks that using a OpenBSD LiveCD, I
would can run  it the SO and mount the partition where I can change the
password.

Thanks a lot of   for your help, and I will appreciate if you let me know
some suggestion about it.

Best Regards,

Luis Moreno

Re: LiveCD OpenBSD to HP RISC

Mark Kettenis
> From: "Luis E. Moreno" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 10:46:43 -0400
>
> Dear Friends,
>
> I would like to know if you have information about if there is a OpenBSD
> LiveCD to HP RISC Architecture.
>
> I need boot a Server HP 9000 L3000, (5470) in order to mount a disk volume
> to change the root password.

Given that OpenBSD doesn't support the L3000 (yet), and OpenBSD
doesn't support the default HFS and VxFS filesystems this won't really
help you.

Apart from that a normal OpenBSD install image (cdXX.iso) would
probably provide a complete enough environment to do something like
this on other systems.

Re: LiveCD OpenBSD to HP RISC

Alastair Boyanich-3
G'day Luis,

Depending on the version of the GSP/MP you have, have you
tried either ctrl+b or

wait five seconds and hit "p" to break into the
service console? I have only seen one

L3000. The console was directed to the
lan service port which you can point a browser

at. There should be aa
physical reset or you can disconnect the power and yank the

battery which
should reset the password for the MP. I had to do this recently on an

older
machine.

Also... the L3000 has a heck of a lot of ram and cpu's and
devices to check and bring

up prior to IPL and showing anything on the
console. It may take a few minutes depending

on how loaded the machine is
with disk and ram for anything to appear.

I assume you've stuck a dumb
terminal and null modem into the control serial port on the

GSC/MP ? ..or is
it one of the ones with the funky 3-wire breakout's?

Regards,

Al.

On
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 03:33:35 -0400

"Luis E. Moreno" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Alastair....

> Thanks for you answers...

> What happing is the
follow:

> On the HP Server there is not transmission between the GSP Card
to see the

> boot process on the console, using a serial connection and
emulating a VT100

> terminal. I think may be there is a problem with the GSP
Card.

> We haven4t neither the password to entry across the GSP Card
using a LAN

> Ethernet connection. The default passwords where modify.

> I mean, we don4t find the way to see the boot process. This is the problem,
> we cannot interrupt the boot process to continue with the follow steps that
> you sent me.

> Other thing that I thinking is change the GSP Card with
the fact

> configuration, or try to reset (if there is a way) to reset it to
factory

> configuration, or default configuration.

> Thanks for your
help...., if you have any other suggestion, it will be well

original-----

[hidden email]

> Asunto: Re: LiveCD OpenBSD to HP RISC

> You
don't need a live CD (if such a thing exists).

> To recover the root
password,

> 1) Start your machine.

> 2) At the prompt "Press any key to
interrupt the boot process"

>    Headbutt the spacebar.

> 3) Type:

> SEA<return>

>    - This will search for bootable hard drives and cdrom's.
> 4) It will have a tag usually like P0, P1, P2 ..etc. Select the

bootable device and issue a boot statement like so:

>           > BOOT
P0<return>

> 5) When asked if you wish to interract with the IPL (Initial
Program Loader)

>    say:

>           YES<return>

> 6) Once you are at the
ISL> prompt, type the following (noting

> capitalisation):

>           ISL>
HPUX -iS<return>

> 7) Wait. Your machine will boot normally into single user
mode. You may now

>    issue the "passwd root<return>" command to change the
password and use

> 8) Reboot the computer with the "reboot" command.

> 9)
Enjoy your new root privledges.

> P.S I am not responsible if your system
blows up, data is damaged or the

> neighbours

> cat spontaneously combusts.
This works for me and all the systems I look

> after.

> Regards,

> Al
Boyanich

E. Moreno" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Dear Friends,

> > I would like to know if you have information about if there is a OpenBSD
> > LiveCD to HP RISC Architecture.

> > I need boot a Server HP 9000
L3000, (5470) in order to mount a disk volume

> > to change the root
password.

> > The Server had a lot of time that doesn4t
work, I mean, It had a lot off

> > with out turn on,  but we turn on recently
and it works very well, but

> > nobody remember the root password. I thinks
that using a OpenBSD LiveCD, I

> > would can run  it the SO and mount the
partition where I can change the

> > password.

> > Thanks
a lot of   for your help, and I will appreciate if you let me know

> > some
suggestion about it.

> > Best Regards,

> Luis Moreno

> --

> Alastair Boyanich
<[hidden email]>

> This is an email from Fujitsu Australia
Software Technology Pty Ltd, ABN 27

> 003 693 481. It is confidential to the
ordinary user of the email address to

> which it was addressed and may
contain copyright and/or legally privileged

> information. No one else may
read, print, store, copy or forward all or any

> of it or its attachments. If
you receive this email in error, please return

> to sender. Thank you.

If you do not wish to receive commercial email messages from Fujitsu

Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, please email

Alastair Boyanich
<[hidden email]>

This is an email from Fujitsu Australia
Software Technology Pty Ltd, ABN 27 003 693 481. It is confidential to the
ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed and may contain
copyright and/or legally privileged information. No one else may read, print,
store, copy or forward all or any of it or its attachments. If you receive
this email in error, please return to sender. Thank you.

If you do not wish
to receive commercial email messages from Fujitsu Australia Software
Technology Pty Ltd, please email [hidden email]

Re: LiveCD OpenBSD to HP RISC

Luis E. Moreno
Thanks Alastair,

Your suggestions were very usefully for me. Using the null modem cable I
could to see the process boot, and I could to interrupt it, and change the
root password.

I am very gratefully with you. Now you have a friend in Venezuela - South
America. If you need something from Venezuela, or when you want to visit on
vacation Venezuela, please let me know.

Best Regards,
4
Luis Moreno

Depending on the version of the GSP/MP you have, have you tried either
ctrl+b or
wait five seconds and hit "p" to break into the service console? I have only
seen one
L3000. The console was directed to the lan service port which you can point
a browser
at. There should be aa physical reset or you can disconnect the power and
yank the
battery which should reset the password for the MP. I had to do this
recently on an
older machine.

Also... the L3000 has a heck of a lot of ram and cpu's and devices to check
and bring
up prior to IPL and showing anything on the console. It may take a few
minutes depending
on how loaded the machine is with disk and ram for anything to appear.

I assume you've stuck a dumb terminal and null modem into the control serial
port on the
GSC/MP ? ..or is it one of the ones with the funky 3-wire breakout's?

Regards,
Al.

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 03:33:35 -0400
"Luis E. Moreno" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alastair....
>
> Thanks for you answers...
>
> What happing is the follow:
>
> On the HP Server there is not transmission between the GSP Card to see the
> boot process on the console, using a serial connection and emulating a
VT100
> terminal. I think may be there is a problem with the GSP Card.
>
> We haven4t neither the password to entry across the GSP Card using a LAN
> Ethernet connection. The default passwords where modify.
>
> I mean, we don4t find the way to see the boot process. This is the
problem,
> we cannot interrupt the boot process to continue with the follow steps
that
> you sent me.
>
> Other thing that I thinking is change the GSP Card with the fact
> configuration, or try to reset (if there is a way) to reset it to factory
> configuration, or default configuration.
>
> Thanks for your help...., if you have any other suggestion, it will be
well

> received.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Luis Moreno

Your welcome :) HP-UX and OpenBSD are fun to use on hppa, although with the
hardware I have it's often quite slow IO wise in openbsd.

Still! Good luck
with your new root privs.

P.S. Anyone know how to cancel this list access
and point it to another

mail box? I'm leaving this company at the end of the
week.

Regards Al.

Al

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 05:10:45 -0400

"Luis E.
Moreno" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Alastair,

> Your
suggestions were very usefully for me. Using the null modem cable I

> could
to see the process boot, and I could to interrupt it, and change the

> root
password.

> I am very gratefully with you. Now you have a friend in
Venezuela - South

> America. If you need something from Venezuela, or when
you want to visit on

> vacation Venezuela, please let me know.

> Best
Regards,

> 4

> Luis Moreno

Martes, 07 de Octubre de 2008 05:36 p.m.

> Para: [hidden email]

> CC:
[hidden email]

> Asunto: Re: LiveCD OpenBSD to HP RISC

> G'day
Luis,

> Depending on the version of the GSP/MP you have, have you tried
either

> ctrl+b or

> wait five seconds and hit "p" to break into the
service console? I have only

> seen one

> L3000. The console was directed to
the lan service port which you can point

> a browser

> at. There should be
aa physical reset or you can disconnect the power and

> yank the

> battery
which should reset the password for the MP. I had to do this

> recently on an
> older machine.

> Also... the L3000 has a heck of a lot of ram and
cpu's and devices to check

> and bring

> up prior to IPL and showing
anything on the console. It may take a few

> minutes depending

> on how
loaded the machine is with disk and ram for anything to appear.

assume you've stuck a dumb terminal and null modem into the control serial

port on the

> GSC/MP ? ..or is it one of the ones with the funky 3-wire
breakout's?

> Regards,

> Al.

> On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 03:33:35 -0400

"Luis E. Moreno" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hi Alastair....

> Thanks for you answers...

> > What happing is the follow:

On the HP Server there is not transmission between the GSP Card to see the

> boot process on the console, using a serial connection and emulating a

VT100

> > terminal. I think may be there is a problem with the GSP Card.

> > We haven4t neither the password to entry across the GSP Card using a LAN
> > Ethernet connection. The default passwords where modify.

mean, we don4t find the way to see the boot process. This is the

> problem,
> > we cannot interrupt the boot process to continue with the follow steps

that

> > you sent me.

> > Other thing that I thinking is change the
GSP Card with the fact

> > configuration, or try to reset (if there is a way)
to reset it to factory

> > configuration, or default configuration.

> Thanks for your help...., if you have any other suggestion, it will be

well

> > received.

> > Best Regards

> > Luis Moreno

say:

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Dear Friends,

> > > I would like to know if you have information about if there is a OpenBSD
> > > LiveCD to HP RISC Architecture.

> > > I need boot a Server HP
9000 L3000, (5470) in order to mount a disk

> volume

> > > to change the
root password.