List of all software present on OpenBSD 5.2

Live user
Where can I find all the software that comes
in install52.iso?

I've tested, as an example, with tar:

# tar --version
tar: unknown option -- -
usage: [..]

'pkg_info -A' shows nothing.

Re: List of all software present on OpenBSD 5.2

Peter N. M. Hansteen-3
Live user <[hidden email]> writes:

> Where can I find all the software that comes
> in install52.iso?

install52.iso is simply the install medium. To take a peek inside, mount
the iso, cd into it and do something like

for foo in *tgz ; do tar ztvf $foo ; done

for a listing.

> 'pkg_info -A' shows nothing.

The packages installed via pkg_add are a separate issue, but the
packages do depend on the base system (which is what you get,
essentially, from the install iso).

- P

On 26/12/2012 16:57, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
> install52.iso is simply the install medium. To take a peek inside, mount
> the iso, cd into it and do something like

I see, but any chance to know what version of 'tar' is included in
base52.tgz? I guess, like all operating systems, OpenBSD uses versioning
for its software, or is just a continuous snapshotting system where
there are no versions?

Re: List of all software present on OpenBSD 5.2

Peter N. M. Hansteen-3
Live user <[hidden email]> writes:

> I see, but any chance to know what version of 'tar' is included in
> base52.tgz? I guess, like all operating systems, OpenBSD uses
> versioning for its software, or is just a continuous snapshotting
> system where there are no versions?

for the exact version of tar included, you have CVS, with even a web
frontend, see eg

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/bin/pax/tar.c

- P

Re: List of all software present on OpenBSD 5.2

Peter N. M. Hansteen-3
Live user <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've tested, as an example, with tar:
>
> # tar --version
> tar: unknown option -- -
> usage: [..]

OpenBSD is a system you can trust.  And one where you can trust every
command to have a man page that's consistent with the code installed.
The double hyphen options are GNUisms that have not bled over to
OpenBSD's tar.

Once again, man tar will show you what options are in fact supported.

And one more thing -- I take the # preceding the command as an indicator
that you're running as root.  Don't do that unless it's strictly
necessary. The OpenBSD installer prompts you, among other things, to
create at least one regular user.  It's very useful to take advantage of
that opportunity.

- P

Re: List of all software present on OpenBSD 5.2

Wesley MOUEDINE ASSABY
Le 2012-12-26 19:46, Live user a écrit :
> Where can I find all the software that comes
> in install52.iso?

Please, read the famous OpenBSD FAQ :
1.8 - What is included with OpenBSD?
Here it is : http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq1.html#Included

Cheers,

Wesley MOUEDINE ASSABY

Re: List of all software present on OpenBSD 5.2

Maximo Pech Jaramillo
Openbsd tar is not the same as gnu tar. You can think of the tar version in
openbsd simply as the tar of openbsd 5.2.

Because openbsd isn't assembled from pieces like other operating systems it
doesn't make much sense to have independent version numbers for each
utility.

On 2012-12-26, Live user <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Where can I find all the software that comes
> in install52.iso?
>
> I've tested, as an example, with tar:
>
> # tar --version
> tar: unknown option -- -
> usage: [..]
>
> 'pkg_info -A' shows nothing.

This isn't like a Linux distribution where the whole system is
installed from a collection of different pieces of packaged software.
The base operating system is a consistent whole; pkg_info lists
only packages of third-party software which are not part of the
base OS (software from packages is located primarily under /usr/local,
with some files ending up in other places like /var - software from
the base OS installs into /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin etc).

On 27/12/2012 14:06, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> This isn't like a Linux distribution where the whole system is
> installed from a collection of different pieces of packaged software.
> The base operating system is a consistent whole; pkg_info lists
> only packages of third-party software which are not part of the
> base OS (software from packages is located primarily under /usr/local,
> with some files ending up in other places like /var - software from
> the base OS installs into /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin etc).

I understand, that in this case, tar is really bsdtar (not gnutar, or
star) and that is part of the core while linux distros don't have a
"core" tar and use the external gnu version.

I see as well that binary packages use versioning, because are external,
like nano or lftp.

Re: List of all software present on OpenBSD 5.2

Stuart Henderson
On 2012-12-27, Live user <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27/12/2012 14:06, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> This isn't like a Linux distribution where the whole system is
>> installed from a collection of different pieces of packaged software.
>> The base operating system is a consistent whole; pkg_info lists
>> only packages of third-party software which are not part of the
>> base OS (software from packages is located primarily under /usr/local,
>> with some files ending up in other places like /var - software from
>> the base OS installs into /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin etc).
>
> I understand, that in this case, tar is really bsdtar (not gnutar, or
> star) and that is part of the core while linux distros don't have a
> "core" tar and use the external gnu version.
>
> I see as well that binary packages use versioning, because are external,
> like nano or lftp.

Calling it "bsdtar" is confusing; FreeBSD's tar, which is in the
libarchive package, has that name (and is different to OpenBSD's tar)..
but otherwise right.