Limit speed of dvd-drive

Christopher Zimmermann
Hi!

I'm searching for the OpenBSD equivalent to 'hdparm -E'
which sets the drive speed of a cd/dvd drive.
Google did only find an old post without replies.
Is there a way to do this in OpenBSD?

Christopher

Re: Limit speed of dvd-drive

Nick Guenther
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:10 AM, Christopher Zimmermann
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm searching for the OpenBSD equivalent to 'hdparm -E'
> which sets the drive speed of a cd/dvd drive.
> Google did only find an old post without replies.
> Is there a way to do this in OpenBSD?
>

> Christopher

If it was possible I would have expected cdio(1) to mention it; it can
pick write but not read speed, so I guess you're out of luck.

-Nick

Re: Limit speed of dvd-drive

j4nKy
On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 05:11:03PM -0500, Dope Ice Apollyon the Third wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:10 AM, Christopher Zimmermann
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm searching for the OpenBSD equivalent to 'hdparm -E'
> > which sets the drive speed of a cd/dvd drive.
> > Google did only find an old post without replies.
> > Is there a way to do this in OpenBSD?
> >

> > Christopher
>
> If it was possible I would have expected cdio(1) to mention it; it can
> pick write but not read speed, so I guess you're out of luck.

there are DMA/PIO flags for atapiscsi(4), but I don't know if that's
really what the OP is looking for.

Re: Limit speed of dvd-drive

Stuart Henderson
On 2009-12-01, Jacob Meuser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 05:11:03PM -0500, Dope Ice Apollyon the Third wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:10 AM, Christopher Zimmermann
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I'm searching for the OpenBSD equivalent to 'hdparm -E'
>> > which sets the drive speed of a cd/dvd drive.
>> > Google did only find an old post without replies.
>> > Is there a way to do this in OpenBSD?
>> >

>> > Christopher
>>
>> If it was possible I would have expected cdio(1) to mention it; it can
>> pick write but not read speed, so I guess you're out of luck.
>
> there are DMA/PIO flags for atapiscsi(4), but I don't know if that's
> really what the OP is looking for.

more likely looking for controls to restrict the rate at which
the disk spins, maybe to make it quieter, or slightly less unsafe
if you have to try and recover data from a damaged disk.

Re: Limit speed of dvd-drive

Christopher Zimmermann
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:11:14 +0000 (UTC)
Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2009-12-01, Jacob Meuser <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 05:11:03PM -0500, Dope Ice
> > Apollyon the Third wrote:

> >> If it was possible I would have expected cdio(1) to
> >> mention it; it can pick write but not read speed, so I
> >> guess you're out of luck.
> >
> > there are DMA/PIO flags for atapiscsi(4), but I don't
> > know if that's really what the OP is looking for.
> >

> more likely looking for controls to restrict the rate at
> which the disk spins, maybe to make it quieter, or
> slightly less unsafe if you have to try and recover data
> from a damaged disk.

exactly. I want it more quiet.