Licensing question

William Orr-2
Hello,

I'm a mail administrator for a student group at my alma mater, RIT.
We're not particularly satisfied with our current greylisting software
(gld), and the best alternative (hell, the best greylisting software,
hands down) is spamd.

Unfortunately, none of the other sysadmins want to maintain an OpenBSD,
simply because they're unfamiliar with it (they only know linux). So
obviously the correct solution was to port spamd to linux.

I currently have an untested (I'm going to spin up some EC2 instances to
do testing this weekend) start on a port to linux on GitHub:
https://github.com/worr/spamd

So my questions:
Is there anything else I need to do to make sure that I'm kosher with
the license terms? I based the LICENSE file off of the one from portable
OpenSMTPD. Do I need to update any of the copyright notices at the
beginning of the files?

I love the software so much that I want to contribute back to spamd, is
there anything special I need to do other than emailing patches to tech@?

Other than following the cvs logs, tech@ and the Changes pages, is there
anyway I can be updated with changes to spamd?

Thanks so much for the help and for the awesome software!

Re: Licensing question

Stuart Henderson
On 2013-06-22, William Orr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I currently have an untested (I'm going to spin up some EC2 instances to
> do testing this weekend) start on a port to linux on GitHub:
> https://github.com/worr/spamd
>
> So my questions:
> Is there anything else I need to do to make sure that I'm kosher with
> the license terms? I based the LICENSE file off of the one from portable
> OpenSMTPD. Do I need to update any of the copyright notices at the
> beginning of the files?

spamd has its own license and copyright notices, these should be kept -
opensmtpd copyright notices do not apply as it is different code by
different authors.

> I love the software so much that I want to contribute back to spamd, is
> there anything special I need to do other than emailing patches to tech@?

Please send patches inline in the email body rather than as an attachment,
preferably as "cvs diff -uNp" against the -current OpenBSD tree,

> Other than following the cvs logs, tech@ and the Changes pages, is there
> anyway I can be updated with changes to spamd?

There's a source-changes mailing list, if you're not interested in
other changes to OpenBSD then I guess maybe you could subscribe and
filter out uninteresting things via sieve/procmail/etc?