Lenovo w/ AMD Ryzen CPU

David Anthony
All,

The Lenovo release of T*95 series laptops with AMD Ryzen CPU appears imminent.

Would these be poor choices for OpenBSD? Are there any anticipated “gotchas” that I should be aware of? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
David Anthony

Re: Lenovo w/ AMD Ryzen CPU

Daniel Boyd-2
I just ordered some E495s (not 'T', but pretty similar). I think
they're supposed to arrive today. I'll do a test boot and send in a
dmesg.

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:44:44AM -0400, David Anthony wrote:
> All,
>
> The Lenovo release of T*95 series laptops with AMD Ryzen CPU appears imminent.
>
> Would these be poor choices for OpenBSD? Are there any anticipated “gotchas” that I should be aware of? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Respectfully,
> David Anthony

Re: Lenovo w/ AMD Ryzen CPU

Chris Cappuccio
David Anthony [[hidden email]] wrote:
> All,
>
> The Lenovo release of T*95 series laptops with AMD Ryzen CPU appears imminent.
>
> Would these be poor choices for OpenBSD? Are there any anticipated ???gotchas??? that I should be aware of? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Chances are it will work very well.

First, less flaws were identified with AMD's implementation of speculative
execution. That means that there are less mitigations to slow down the system.
Whether there are unidentified flaws, that's another issue..

Second, the amdgpu driver was just imported to OpenBSD 6.5-current. That
means you'll have graphics support. Combined with the recent improvements
to xhci and wi-fi driver improvments (well, mostly intel), support for modern
laptops has never been better.

Chris

Re: Lenovo w/ AMD Ryzen CPU

Theo de Raadt-2
I am hoping to get one also... and as a rule whatever I get my hands on tends to work out well.

[hidden email] wrote:

> I just ordered some E495s (not 'T', but pretty similar). I think
> they're supposed to arrive today. I'll do a test boot and send in a
> dmesg.
>
> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:44:44AM -0400, David Anthony wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > The Lenovo release of T*95 series laptops with AMD Ryzen CPU appears imminent.
> >
> > Would these be poor choices for OpenBSD? Are there any anticipated ???gotchas??? that I should be aware of? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Respectfully,
> > David Anthony

Re: Lenovo w/ AMD Ryzen CPU

Daniel Boyd-2
must some kind of bizarre coincidence

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 11:16:51AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> I am hoping to get one also... and as a rule whatever I get my hands on tends to work out well.
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > I just ordered some E495s (not 'T', but pretty similar). I think
> > they're supposed to arrive today. I'll do a test boot and send in a
> > dmesg.
> >
> > On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:44:44AM -0400, David Anthony wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > The Lenovo release of T*95 series laptops with AMD Ryzen CPU appears imminent.
> > >
> > > Would these be poor choices for OpenBSD? Are there any anticipated ???gotchas??? that I should be aware of? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Respectfully,
> > > David Anthony

Re: Lenovo w/ AMD Ryzen CPU

Jonathan Gray-11
On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 09:58:58AM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> David Anthony [[hidden email]] wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > The Lenovo release of T*95 series laptops with AMD Ryzen CPU appears imminent.
> >
> > Would these be poor choices for OpenBSD? Are there any anticipated ???gotchas??? that I should be aware of? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> Chances are it will work very well.

I disagree.

> First, less flaws were identified with AMD's implementation of speculative
> execution. That means that there are less mitigations to slow down the system.
> Whether there are unidentified flaws, that's another issue..
>
> Second, the amdgpu driver was just imported to OpenBSD 6.5-current. That
> means you'll have graphics support. Combined with the recent improvements
> to xhci and wi-fi driver improvments (well, mostly intel), support for modern
> laptops has never been better.

There is no support for newer Intel wireless like the 9260 the T495 has.

The version of amdgpu in the tree does not include support for
picasso APUs (Ryzen 3xxx) https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/cores/picasso
or whatever raven2 works out to be.

It is also not enabled by default just yet.

If anyone wants to have a Ryzen thinkpad work in the short term the
current A series A285/A485 and similar generation E series require less
work.  Suspend/resume doesn't work right on them currently.
They mostly ship with RTL8822BE wireless which there is no support for
but this can be replaced with an Intel 8265 which is in the bios
whitelist and is supported by iwm(4).

Re: Lenovo w/ AMD Ryzen CPU

Oriol Demaria-2
On 29/05/2019 01:52, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> If anyone wants to have a Ryzen thinkpad work in the short term the
> current A series A285/A485 and similar generation E series require less
> work.  Suspend/resume doesn't work right on them currently.
> They mostly ship with RTL8822BE wireless which there is no support for
> but this can be replaced with an Intel 8265 which is in the bios
> whitelist and is supported by iwm(4).

I don't think there is a whitelist at all on this system regarding
wireless cards. It's a work laptop and is very common that we have to
replace the wireless cards on laptops. We had a spare broadcom which
won't work either on FOSS but it was detected and boots without problems
while I was waiting for the AC 8265. Probably atheros cards would be
other option, the Intel would cost now like 25€ online.

Re: Lenovo w/ AMD Ryzen CPU

Daniel Boyd-2
On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 10:52:53AM +1000, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 09:58:58AM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> > David Anthony [[hidden email]] wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > The Lenovo release of T*95 series laptops with AMD Ryzen CPU appears imminent.
> > >
> > > Would these be poor choices for OpenBSD? Are there any anticipated ???gotchas??? that I should be aware of? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
> > >

> > Chances are it will work very well.
>
> I disagree.
>

> > First, less flaws were identified with AMD's implementation of speculative
> > execution. That means that there are less mitigations to slow down the system.
> > Whether there are unidentified flaws, that's another issue..
> >
> > Second, the amdgpu driver was just imported to OpenBSD 6.5-current. That
> > means you'll have graphics support. Combined with the recent improvements
> > to xhci and wi-fi driver improvments (well, mostly intel), support for modern
> > laptops has never been better.
>
> There is no support for newer Intel wireless like the 9260 the T495 has.
>
> The version of amdgpu in the tree does not include support for
> picasso APUs (Ryzen 3xxx) https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/cores/picasso
> or whatever raven2 works out to be.
>
> It is also not enabled by default just yet.
>
> If anyone wants to have a Ryzen thinkpad work in the short term the
> current A series A285/A485 and similar generation E series require less
> work.  Suspend/resume doesn't work right on them currently.
> They mostly ship with RTL8822BE wireless which there is no support for
> but this can be replaced with an Intel 8265 which is in the bios
> whitelist and is supported by iwm(4).

The E495s I ordered have the Picasso APU and the Intel 9260 wifi. I was
just running 6.5-release. When I get a minute this afternoon, I will
try the latest snapshot and see if I can get video working.

I'll send the dmesg to [hidden email].

Re: Lenovo w/ AMD Ryzen CPU

Patrick Wildt-4
I'd love to have one as well...

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 11:16:51AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> I am hoping to get one also... and as a rule whatever I get my hands on tends to work out well.
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > I just ordered some E495s (not 'T', but pretty similar). I think
> > they're supposed to arrive today. I'll do a test boot and send in a
> > dmesg.
> >
> > On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:44:44AM -0400, David Anthony wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > The Lenovo release of T*95 series laptops with AMD Ryzen CPU appears imminent.
> > >
> > > Would these be poor choices for OpenBSD? Are there any anticipated ???gotchas??? that I should be aware of? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Respectfully,
> > > David Anthony

Re: Lenovo w/ AMD Ryzen CPU

Christian Weisgerber
On 2019-06-04, Patrick Wildt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd love to have one as well...

I hadn't intended to buy a new laptop anytime soon, but the Thinkpad
X395 is tempting...