Lenovo V130, boot failed with error "entry point at 0x1001000"

Lenovo V130, boot failed with error "entry point at 0x1001000"

Sven Wolf-3
Hi,

I've upgraded my Lenovo V130 from snapshot 6.6 (April 2020) to the
snapshot from 2020-06-20. The boot via boot.rd is always possible.
But when I load bsd.sp or bsd.rd the boot process stops with the error
"entry point 0x1001000". Do you have an idea how I can fix this error?
In the past I did't have any problem with openbsd on this machine.

I'll try tomorrow the next snapshot.

Thanks and best regards,
Sven

Re: Lenovo V130, boot failed with error "entry point at 0x1001000"

Sven Wolf-3
Hi,

I found the same issue in a thread some weeks ago.
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=159039904132502&w=2

I'll test an reinstall/older loader. Boot from mbr isn't an option :(

Best regards,
Sven

On 6/21/20 8:20 PM, Sven Wolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded my Lenovo V130 from snapshot 6.6 (April 2020) to the
> snapshot from 2020-06-20. The boot via boot.rd is always possible.
> But when I load bsd.sp or bsd.rd the boot process stops with the error
> "entry point 0x1001000". Do you have an idea how I can fix this error?
> In the past I did't have any problem with openbsd on this machine.
>
> I'll try tomorrow the next snapshot.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
> Sven

Re: Lenovo V130, boot failed with error "entry point at 0x1001000"

Sven Wolf-3
Hi,

the update of the loader didn't help.
I've updated the bootx64.efi from 3.48 to 3.52. But the current kernel
doesn't load. I'll try a re-installation.
Maybe @Otto can explain why the start of bsd.rd is possible and the
start of bsd.sp/bsd.mp is not possible. Maybe I can build a custom kernel.

Best regards,
Sven

On 6/21/20 8:33 PM, Sven Wolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found the same issue in a thread some weeks ago.
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=159039904132502&w=2
>
> I'll test an reinstall/older loader. Boot from mbr isn't an option :(
>
> Best regards,
> Sven
>
> On 6/21/20 8:20 PM, Sven Wolf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've upgraded my Lenovo V130 from snapshot 6.6 (April 2020) to the
>> snapshot from 2020-06-20. The boot via boot.rd is always possible.
>> But when I load bsd.sp or bsd.rd the boot process stops with the error
>> "entry point 0x1001000". Do you have an idea how I can fix this error?
>> In the past I did't have any problem with openbsd on this machine.
>>
>> I'll try tomorrow the next snapshot.
>>
>> Thanks and best regards,
>> Sven

Re: Lenovo V130, boot failed with error "entry point at 0x1001000"

Sven Wolf-3
Hi,

also after the new installation of the current snapshot the system stops
with "entry point at 0x1001000".
It's interesting, that a installation via bsd.rd is possible. But after
that the system doesn't boot via bsd.mp/bsd.sp.

Best regards,
Sven

On 6/21/20 8:55 PM, Sven Wolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the update of the loader didn't help.
> I've updated the bootx64.efi from 3.48 to 3.52. But the current kernel
> doesn't load. I'll try a re-installation.
> Maybe @Otto can explain why the start of bsd.rd is possible and the
> start of bsd.sp/bsd.mp is not possible. Maybe I can build a custom kernel.
>
> Best regards,
> Sven
>

> On 6/21/20 8:33 PM, Sven Wolf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found the same issue in a thread some weeks ago.
>> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=159039904132502&w=2
>>
>> I'll test an reinstall/older loader. Boot from mbr isn't an option :(
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Sven
>>
>> On 6/21/20 8:20 PM, Sven Wolf wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've upgraded my Lenovo V130 from snapshot 6.6 (April 2020) to the
>>> snapshot from 2020-06-20. The boot via boot.rd is always possible.
>>> But when I load bsd.sp or bsd.rd the boot process stops with the
>>> error "entry point 0x1001000". Do you have an idea how I can fix this
>>> error?
>>> In the past I did't have any problem with openbsd on this machine.
>>>
>>> I'll try tomorrow the next snapshot.
>>>
>>> Thanks and best regards,
>>> Sven

Re: Lenovo V130, boot failed with error "entry point at 0x1001000"

Matt Kunkel
Here is the offending patch.  -current boots fine with it removed:

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/arch/amd64/stand/efiboot/exec_i386.c.diff?r1=1.2&r2=1.3&f=h

Appears bootx64.efi is carrying some board specific workaround for
HP / Computrace that breaks many others, including tianocore. Guess
I'll submit a patch to reverse it since I don't have an Elitebook to
test with?

As a workaround, mount the efi partition and copy in boot64.efi from
6.6.

-Matt Kunkel

June 23, 2020 2:16 PM, "Sven Wolf" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> also after the new installation of the current snapshot the system stops with "entry point at
> 0x1001000".
> It's interesting, that a installation via bsd.rd is possible. But after that the system doesn't
> boot via bsd.mp/bsd.sp.
>
> Best regards,
> Sven
>
> On 6/21/20 8:55 PM, Sven Wolf wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> the update of the loader didn't help.
>> I've updated the bootx64.efi from 3.48 to 3.52. But the current kernel > doesn't load. I'll try a
>> re-installation.
>> Maybe @Otto can explain why the start of bsd.rd is possible and the > start of bsd.sp/bsd.mp is not
>> possible. Maybe I can build a custom kernel.
>> Best regards,
>> Sven
>>> On 6/21/20 8:33 PM, Sven Wolf wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I found the same issue in a thread some weeks ago.
>>> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=159039904132502&w=2
>>>
>>> I'll test an reinstall/older loader. Boot from mbr isn't an option :(
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Sven
>>>
>>> On 6/21/20 8:20 PM, Sven Wolf wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've upgraded my Lenovo V130 from snapshot 6.6 (April 2020) to the >>> snapshot from 2020-06-20.
>> The boot via boot.rd is always possible.
>> But when I load bsd.sp or bsd.rd the boot process stops with the >>> error "entry point 0x1001000".
>> Do you have an idea how I can fix this >>> error?
>> In the past I did't have any problem with openbsd on this machine.
>>
>> I'll try tomorrow the next snapshot.
>>
>> Thanks and best regards,
>> Sven

Re: Lenovo V130, boot failed with error "entry point at 0x1001000"

Sven Wolf-3
Hi,

I did some more tests/new installations on this machine.

A clean reinstallation of 6.7 release boots without any problems with
the loaders 3.50 (release 6.7) and also 3.52 (snapshot 2020-06-23).
Kernel 6.7 GENERIC.MP#182 build time 2020-05-07

Also after an syspatch the kernel 6.7 GENERIC.MP#2 build time 2020-06-04
boots without any problems with the loaders 3.50 and 3.52 (snapshot
2020-06-23).

So in my opinion the problem is the kernel. I think between 2020-06-04
and 2020-06-23 the where some changes which prevents that the 6.7 and
6.7/current loader boots the kernel on this and maybe on some other
Lenovo (e.g. X1 Gen7) machines.

The loader always show "entry point at 0x1001000" for some milliseconds,
also when the kernel 6.7 gets loaded successfully.

Maybe we'll find the changes for the kernel, which are responsible for
this error. An another point for the kernel issue is in my opinion that
the current RAMDISK kernel (from the latest snapshot) boots also without
any problems.

I'll do some more testing with a current kernel.

Best regards,
Sven

On 6/23/20 10:20 PM, Matt Kunkel wrote:

> Here is the offending patch.  -current boots fine with it removed:
>
> http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/arch/amd64/stand/efiboot/exec_i386.c.diff?r1=1.2&r2=1.3&f=h
>
> Appears bootx64.efi is carrying some board specific workaround for
> HP / Computrace that breaks many others, including tianocore. Guess
> I'll submit a patch to reverse it since I don't have an Elitebook to
> test with?
>
> As a workaround, mount the efi partition and copy in boot64.efi from
> 6.6.
>
> -Matt Kunkel
>
> June 23, 2020 2:16 PM, "Sven Wolf" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> also after the new installation of the current snapshot the system stops with "entry point at
>> 0x1001000".
>> It's interesting, that a installation via bsd.rd is possible. But after that the system doesn't
>> boot via bsd.mp/bsd.sp.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Sven
>>
>> On 6/21/20 8:55 PM, Sven Wolf wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> the update of the loader didn't help.
>>> I've updated the bootx64.efi from 3.48 to 3.52. But the current kernel > doesn't load. I'll try a
>>> re-installation.
>>> Maybe @Otto can explain why the start of bsd.rd is possible and the > start of bsd.sp/bsd.mp is not
>>> possible. Maybe I can build a custom kernel.
>>> Best regards,
>>> Sven

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've upgraded my Lenovo V130 from snapshot 6.6 (April 2020) to the >>> snapshot from 2020-06-20.
>>> The boot via boot.rd is always possible.
>>> But when I load bsd.sp or bsd.rd the boot process stops with the >>> error "entry point 0x1001000".
>>> Do you have an idea how I can fix this >>> error?
>>> In the past I did't have any problem with openbsd on this machine.
>>>
>>> I'll try tomorrow the next snapshot.
>>>
>>> Thanks and best regards,
>>> Sven

Re: Lenovo V130, boot failed with error "entry point at 0x1001000"

Sven Wolf-3
Hi,

after hours of kernel compilations I think I've found the cause for the
hang with the message "entry point at 0x1001000".
It seems that the kernel is to large to boot.
Kernels (/bsd) larger than about 18 MB won't boot on this machine.

The last successful kernel compilation and boot was with a cvs checkout
from 2020-06-27. All kernel builds after this date don't boot.
First I thought it was the efifb change
http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/arch/amd64/amd64/efifb.c?f=h

After that I thought it was the umstc and acpihid device driver.

But that not true :)

I can run a current kernel when I reduce the kernel size by disabling
the amdgpu and radeondrm devices in the GENERIC configuration file.

I like to stay on -current by running regularly sysupgrade. But I don't
want to recompile the kernel to reduce the kernel size.

Also disabling the amdgpu and radeondrm devices via boot_config doesn't
work.

Do you have an idea if its possible to specify the memory areas which
the loader should choose to load the kernel, e.g. boot> machine memory
=<some size>M ?

My machine memory looks like this:

Region 0: type 1 at 0x0 for 352KB
Region 1: type 2 at 0x58000 for 4KB
Region 2: type 1 at 0x59000 for 180KB
Region 3: type 2 at 0x86000 for 488KB
Region 4: type 1 at 0x100000 for 261120KB

The kernel doesn't boot/hang at "entry point 0x100100" with following (I
think memory mappings):
booting sr0a:bsd: 14447944+3175440+340000+0+...

The kernel boots successfully
Default 6.7 MP kernel
booting sr0a:bsd: 12952904+2753544+331808+0+...

and also my custom kernel without radeondrm und amdgpu
booting sr0a:bsd: 10409288+2253840+306784+0+...

Thanks and best regards,
Sven