Learning C Programming

cody chandler-2
Hello,

  Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good one.  Is
this the book?

http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628

Figured it would be best to start new instead of keeping the Chat forked
and moving away from the topid of the OBSD Fork.

Thanks
Cody

Re: Learning C Programming

Bryan Irvine
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM, cody chandler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good one.  Is
> this the book?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628
>
> Figured it would be best to start new instead of keeping the Chat forked
> and moving away from the topid of the OBSD Fork.

Yup!

That's the one.

-B

Re: Learning C Programming

Matthew Dempsky-3
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good one.  Is
> this the book?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628

Yes.

Re: Learning C Programming

Amit Kulkarni-5
>  Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good one.  Is
> this the book?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628

yes it is, and i am surprised it is ~ $50. it is such a small book.

Re: Learning C Programming

James Hartley
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Is this the book?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628

Yes.

Re: Learning C Programming

cody chandler-2
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >  Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good one.  Is
> > this the book?
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628
>
> yes it is, and i am surprised it is ~ $50. it is such a small book.

 Thanks to all!

Re: Learning C Programming

Christiano F. Haesbaert
On 21 June 2012 14:37, cody chandler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good one.  Is
> this the book?

Yes it is

> http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628
>
> Figured it would be best to start new instead of keeping the Chat forked
> and moving away from the topid of the OBSD Fork.
>

> Thanks
> Cody

Re: Learning C Programming

Bryan Irvine
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good one.  Is
>> this the book?
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628
>
> yes it is, and i am surprised it is ~ $50. it is such a small book.

That does seem a little bit high.  I don't remember what I got mine
for years ago.

Re: Learning C Programming

Vitali-6
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good one.
 Is
>> this the book?
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628
>
> yes it is, and i am surprised it is ~ $50. it is such a small book.

Yeah, that's too much.
On eBay it's at least twice as cheaper.

--
### Coonardoo - Криничка у тіні / The Well In The Shadow / Le
Puits
Dans L'Ombre ###

Re: Learning C Programming

Pablo Velasco Fernández
I paid 45 euros in Spain. I must finish to read it and practice and
practice and practice lol
El 21/06/2012 20:11, "Amit Kulkarni" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> >  Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good one.  Is
> > this the book?
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628
>
> yes it is, and i am surprised it is ~ $50. it is such a small book.

Re: Learning C Programming

Matthew Dempsky-3
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> yes it is, and i am surprised it is ~ $50. it is such a small book.

FWIW, you can read the C specification drafts online for free:

C89: http://flash-gordon.me.uk/ansi.c.txt
C99: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1124.pdf
C11: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1570.pdf

If you're interested in more UNIX-specific stuff (e.g., POSIX, ELF,
various platform specific bits), the uclibc projects keeps a good
index of resources at http://www.uclibc.org/specs.html.

That said, specs are not the friendliest way to learn about something
for the first time, but they're pretty handy as a reference.

Re: Learning C Programming

Francisco Valladolid H.
Hi.

IMHO,  Practical C Programming is a good book also.
(http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781565923065.do)

Regards.

--
Francisco Valladolid H.
 -- http://blog.bsdguy.net - Jesus Christ follower.

Re: Learning C Programming

Rafael Sadowski
On Thu Jun 21, 2012 at 12:55:25PM -0500, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
> >  Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good one.  Is
> > this the book?
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628
>
> yes it is, and i am surprised it is ~ $50. it is such a small book.

WOW 50$. You can buy it from amazon.DE for EUR 29,95 ~ $37, of course in
English! I bought my example for 1 EUR (used from university library) :D

Re: Learning C Programming

Amit Kulkarni-5
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Matthew Dempsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> yes it is, and i am surprised it is ~ $50. it is such a small book.
>
> FWIW, you can read the C specification drafts online for free:
>
> C89: http://flash-gordon.me.uk/ansi.c.txt
> C99: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1124.pdf
> C11: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1570.pdf
>
> If you're interested in more UNIX-specific stuff (e.g., POSIX, ELF,
> various platform specific bits), the uclibc projects keeps a good
> index of resources at http://www.uclibc.org/specs.html.
>
> That said, specs are not the friendliest way to learn about something
> for the first time, but they're pretty handy as a reference.

^^^ this is a very informative post. i will bookmark these sites.
openbsd is teh way i have learnt about POSIX and standards.

Re: Learning C Programming

Barry Miller-2
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:09:49AM -0700, Bryan Irvine wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> ?Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good one. ?Is
> >> this the book?
> >>
> >> http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628
> >
> > yes it is, and i am surprised it is ~ $50. it is such a small book.
> >

> That does seem a little bit high.  I don't remember what I got mine
> for years ago.
>
> That being said, it is worth a pile of "Learn C in num time" books.  :-)

Back in 1988 I paid $28.  I should have coughed up $40 and gotten the
cloth-bound version direct from Prentice-Hall (free shipping if paid in
advance!).

Barry

Re: Learning C Programming

Pieter Verberne
On 2012-06-21 20:09, Bryan Irvine wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Amit Kulkarni <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>>  Talk about learning C Programming and the K&R book being a good
>>> one.  Is
>>> this the book?
>>>

>>> http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-2nd-Edition/dp/0131103628
>>
>> yes it is, and i am surprised it is ~ $50. it is such a small book.
>>

> That does seem a little bit high.  I don't remember what I got mine
> for years ago.
>
> That being said, it is worth a pile of "Learn C in num time" books.
> :-)

I've got the book too for a few years now. I started it two or three
times.
Every time I arrive at, lets say page 50 I start another 'hobby'.

Re: Learning C Programming

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
Some good or bad comments about "Deitel's C How to program"?
http://www.deitel.com/Books/C/CHowtoProgram7e/tabid/3635/Default.aspx

I have other book in Spanish related to C, but is too focused on
software engineering (boring). I saw the past editions of Deitel's book
a few days ago by a good price.

Cheers.

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info

Re: Learning C Programming

Dominguez, Roland
I have to jump in and mention:
Knuth's TAOCP Vol 1-4 "The Art of Computer Programming"
Vol 4 was just recently published

I'll admit I've not read it from cover to cover, I pull out
one of the volumes and pick a topic and read.  I'll be
reading this for the rest of my life.

Tannebaum's "Modern Operating Systems".
I just found out it's in its 3rd editon.
I had a 2nd edition copy that stayed with
an ex-girlfriend.
I need to replace both (girlfriend and MOS).

Re: Learning C Programming

Simon Perreault-2
On 2012-06-21 15:21, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:
> Some good or bad comments about "Deitel's C How to program"?
> http://www.deitel.com/Books/C/CHowtoProgram7e/tabid/3635/Default.aspx

The worst book on C programming I've ever read.

No, scratch that.
The worst book on programming I've ever read.

No, it's worse.
The worst book I've ever read. All categories.

Simon

Re: Learning C Programming

m brandenberg
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012, Dominguez, Roland wrote:

> Tannebaum's "Modern Operating Systems".
> I just found out it's in its 3rd editon.
> I had a 2nd edition copy that stayed with
> an ex-girlfriend.
> I need to replace both (girlfriend and MOS).

All the cool kids have microgirlfriends now...

--
Monty Brandenberg

12