Laptop Recommendations?

Nathan Koch
Greetings Fair BSD Wizards,
I am new to the lists. I am currently shopping for a new Xmas present for myself and am looking for a laptop that's portable and lightweight. Preferably fast, cheap (close to free),  light, and secure. If you have any recommendations before the stormy winter hits the prairies please let me know.

Thank you.
Nate

Sailing the South Saskatchewan.

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Alex McWhirter
I'm not sure if anything new is a good choice, particularly because of a lack of current GPU / WiFi drivers. I usually pick up something about a year or two old on refurb \ second hand market. Dell's business line (latitude / precision) have treated me well in the past. Just stick with Intel or and graphics.On Nov 10, 2016 12:47 AM, Nathan Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings Fair BSD Wizards,
> I am new to the lists. I am currently shopping for a new Xmas present for myself and am looking for a laptop that's portable and lightweight. Preferably fast, cheap (close to free),  light, and secure. If you have any recommendations before the stormy winter hits the prairies please let me know.
>
> Thank you.
> Nate

> Sailing the South Saskatchewan.

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

bytevolcano
I seem to be doing fine on an old Panasonic Toughbook. They can be
bought quite cheap if you don't mind them being several years old.
Having said that, if you want a laptop that is "close to free", then
expect failures to be "close to free" also.

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 23:47:52 -0600
Nathan Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings Fair BSD Wizards,
> I am new to the lists. I am currently shopping for a new Xmas present
> for myself and am looking for a laptop that's portable and
> lightweight. Preferably fast, cheap (close to free),  light, and
> secure. If you have any recommendations before the stormy winter hits
> the prairies please let me know.
>
> Thank you.
> Nate

> Sailing the South Saskatchewan.

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Stefan Sperling-5
On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 11:47:52PM -0600, Nathan Koch wrote:
> Greetings Fair BSD Wizards,
> I am new to the lists. I am currently shopping for a new Xmas present for myself and am looking for a laptop that's portable and lightweight. Preferably fast, cheap (close to free),  light, and secure. If you have any recommendations before the stormy winter hits the prairies please let me know.
>
> Thank you.
> Nate

Public information about the degree of hardware support for some
specific machines is available in dmesg collections such as this one:
http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?fts=openbsd&action=dmesgd&do=index
You'll have to get familiar with reading a dmesg anyway if you
want to run OpenBSD on a machine of your own.

Researching dmesg archives also gives you an idea about what kind
of systems people are running OpenBSD on.

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

STeve Andre'
On 11/10/16 00:47, Nathan Koch wrote:

> Greetings Fair BSD Wizards,
> I am new to the lists. I am currently shopping for a new Xmas present for myself and am looking for a laptop that's portable and lightweight. Preferably fast, cheap (close to free),  light, and secure. If you have any recommendations before the stormy winter hits the prairies please let me know.
>
> Thank you.
> Nate

> Sailing the South Saskatchewan.

I have used ThinkPads with great success:

  - T60p: everything worked

  - W500: everything worked

  - W541: camera and SDHC cards wern't working last time I checked,
    which was a while ago.  Everything else is fine.  Well, maybe
    the docking adaptor is still problematic.

  - A31p: which is now long obsolete, but it worked well.

W500's can be had on ebay in the $280 class range, then add extra mem
and a large disk, etc.

--STeve Andre

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Brian Whalen
Thinkpads are used often by folks wanting to get that penguin OS going also.

Brian

On 11/10/2016 4:34 PM, STeve Andre' wrote:

> On 11/10/16 00:47, Nathan Koch wrote:
>> Greetings Fair BSD Wizards,
>> I am new to the lists. I am currently shopping for a new Xmas present
>> for myself and am looking for a laptop that's portable and
>> lightweight. Preferably fast, cheap (close to free),  light, and
>> secure. If you have any recommendations before the stormy winter hits
>> the prairies please let me know.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Nate

>> Sailing the South Saskatchewan.
>>

> I have used ThinkPads with great success:
>
>  - T60p: everything worked
>
>  - W500: everything worked
>
>  - W541: camera and SDHC cards wern't working last time I checked,
>    which was a while ago.  Everything else is fine.  Well, maybe
>    the docking adaptor is still problematic.
>
>  - A31p: which is now long obsolete, but it worked well.
>
> W500's can be had on ebay in the $280 class range, then add extra mem
> and a large disk, etc.
>
> --STeve Andre

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Kamil Cholewiński
On 11 November 2016 at 03:25, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thinkpads are used often by folks wanting to get that penguin OS going also.

Typing this on a Thinkpad X200s, running 6.0, very very happy with it.

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Robert-318
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:21:54 +0100
harry666t <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 November 2016 at 03:25, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thinkpads are used often by folks wanting to get that penguin OS going also.

+1

I'm using a T400 (14.1"), or when travelling an X61s.

I really don't see the need for the latest & greatest & blobiest model... everything works on those old Thinkpads.
Especially the X61s with an SSD and a smaller battery is close to 1kg ("2 pounds"), easy to carry and sturdy.

Since those models are rather old you should get them pretty cheap. So buy a couple, in case you need spare parts. You probably will have to replace the battery, but there are lots of good/bad suppliers on the market.

/Robert

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Stefan Sperling-5
On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 12:20:47PM +0100, Robert wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:21:54 +0100
> harry666t <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 11 November 2016 at 03:25, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Thinkpads are used often by folks wanting to get that penguin OS going also.
>
> +1
>
> I'm using a T400 (14.1"), or when travelling an X61s.
>
> I really don't see the need for the latest & greatest & blobiest model... everything works on those old Thinkpads.
> Especially the X61s with an SSD and a smaller battery is close to 1kg ("2 pounds"), easy to carry and sturdy.
>
> Since those models are rather old you should get them pretty cheap. So buy a couple, in case you need spare parts. You probably will have to replace the battery, but there are lots of good/bad suppliers on the market.
>
> /Robert

By the way, I am looking for a "4 cell slim" battery for my x60s.
Aka "ThinkPad Battery 31 (4 Cell) 40Y6999"
Pictured here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/migr-62401

I once had a battery like this but it died.
These only work in x60s/x61s and seem to have become rare nowadays.
Most suppliers of compatible batteries seem to sell the "4 cell enhanced"
version only (sometimes wrongly advertised as 40Y6999), which is much
thicker and not an exact fit for the x60s's battery slot.

If anyone knows where I could get one, please let me know :-)

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Chris Cappuccio
harry666t [[hidden email]] wrote:
> On 11 November 2016 at 03:25, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thinkpads are used often by folks wanting to get that penguin OS going also.
>
> Typing this on a Thinkpad X200s, running 6.0, very very happy with it.

I consistently get junk when I buy old Thinkpads. Usually the problems are not major, but I started buying Panasonic Toughbook CF-C1A (1st gen intel) and CF-C1B (2nd gen intel) laptops which are equivalent to X200 and X220. I have several units on ebay now for $60 USD which have 14,000 hours (basically on since they were manufactured) and they look and act brand new. I also started getting CF-19 MK3 (Core 2 duo) and CF-19 MK4 (i5) for field use. They are basically rock-solid, even with 8000 hours. Not every single used one has been great, but most have been very, very good...

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Carl Trachte
Off topic (durability):  I've owned a couple X220 ThinkPads now and I
don't disagree with the Cappuccino report - fans are a real weak point
on the ThinkPad - and they break at the worst times - usually when
travelling.  Basically, the laptop get squished a little, the fan
stops working, and you have to get a new one.

Other little stuff:  the ThinkPad lettering forward of the keyboard
just fell off one day - now there's a bare metal spot on the black.
While the ThinkPad's are known for durability, the X220 is a little
weak in that area.  I love the little screen.  I love even more that
everything works so well under OpenBSD.  I just can't afford to have
the one computer I take on a trip poop itself at the wrong time.  My 2
cents.

I am tempted to give the Toughbook a shot now.  Thanks for the heads up.

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Chris Cappuccio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> harry666t [[hidden email]] wrote:
>> On 11 November 2016 at 03:25, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Thinkpads are used often by folks wanting to get that penguin OS going
also.

>> Typing this on a Thinkpad X200s, running 6.0, very very happy with it.
>
> I consistently get junk when I buy old Thinkpads. Usually the problems are
not major, but I started buying Panasonic Toughbook CF-C1A (1st gen intel) and
CF-C1B (2nd gen intel) laptops which are equivalent to X200 and X220. I have
several units on ebay now for $60 USD which have 14,000 hours (basically on
since they were manufactured) and they look and act brand new. I also started
getting CF-19 MK3 (Core 2 duo) and CF-19 MK4 (i5) for field use. They are
basically rock-solid, even with 8000 hours. Not every single used one has been
great, but most have been very, very good...

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

jordon-7
> On Nov 9, 2016, at 11:47 PM, Nathan Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings Fair BSD Wizards,
> I am new to the lists. I am currently shopping for a new Xmas present for
myself and am looking for a laptop that's portable and lightweight. Preferably
fast, cheap (close to free),  light, and secure. If you have any
recommendations before the stormy winter hits the prairies please let me
know.

> Thank you.
> Nate

> Sailing the South Saskatchewan.

I just (as in yesterday) got a ThinkPad x260.  I saw that FreeBSD had pretty
good support for it and I got it with the intent of running FreeBSD or OpenBSD
on it.  I went with the i5-6300U, 1080p screen, extra large battery (this
model has an internal battery AND an external one - the extra large option
sticks out a bit and tilts up the keyboard, which is nice), and minimal RAM
and HDD (cheaper to upgrade later).  I did up the RAM to 16GB right away and
will soon replace the 500GB spinning rust with an SSD.

FreeBSD and TrueOS both work pretty good (TrueOS is just too bloated/slow for
my taste),  but I think OpenBSD might be the winner for what stays on it.
WiFi Just Works!  Sleep/Resume almost works (sleeps just fine on close but
screen doesn’t wake up on open - but I can ssh into it after the failed
wake).  The trackpad is… pretty rough… but I’m used to a trackpad on a
Mac, which is by far the best of any computer I’ve ever used.

Anyway, I am just searching for the tiniest window manager that does what I
need (currently exploring cwm, as I like what I’ve read about it) and I
think I have my portable coding machine.  My ‘workflow’ is emacs in
terminal, git, llvm, and a quick web browser.  Once llvm is officially
supported in base, I will be even happier!

Anyway, here is the dmesg of it exactly as I got ig except I removed the 4GB
RAM and added a (cheaper) upgrade to 16GB myself:

OpenBSD 6.0 (GENERIC.MP) #2319: Tue Jul 26 13:00:43 MDT 2016
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
real mem = 16546209792 (15779MB)
avail mem = 16040271872 (15297MB)
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.8 @ 0xd7bfd000 (65 entries)
bios0: vendor LENOVO version "R02ET50W (1.23 )" date 09/20/2016
bios0: LENOVO 20F6CTO1WW
acpi0 at bios0: rev 2
acpi0: sleep states S0 S3 S4 S5
acpi0: tables DSDT FACP TCPA SSDT SSDT TPM2 UEFI SSDT SSDT ECDT HPET APIC MCFG
SSDT SSDT DBGP DBG2 BOOT BATB SSDT SSDT MSDM ASF! FPDT UEFI
acpi0: wakeup devices LID_(S4) SLPB(S3) IGBE(S4) EXP8(S4) XHCI(S3)
acpitimer0 at acpi0: 3579545 Hz, 24 bits
acpiec0 at acpi0
acpihpet0 at acpi0: 23999999 Hz
acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
cpu0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2293.34 MHz
cpu0:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUS
H,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX
,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT
,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,ABM,3DNOWP,PERF,ITS
C,FSGSBASE,SGX,BMI1,HLE,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,RTM,MPX,RDSEED,ADX,SMAP,C
LFLUSHOPT,PT,SENSOR,ARAT
cpu0: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
cpu0: smt 0, core 0, package 0
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support, 10 var ranges, 88 fixed ranges
cpu0: apic clock running at 23MHz
cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, C-substates=0.2.1.2.4.1.1.1, IBE
cpu1 at mainbus0: apid 2 (application processor)
cpu1: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2294.63 MHz
cpu1:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUS
H,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX
,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT
,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,ABM,3DNOWP,PERF,ITS
C,FSGSBASE,SGX,BMI1,HLE,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,RTM,MPX,RDSEED,ADX,SMAP,C
LFLUSHOPT,PT,SENSOR,ARAT
cpu1: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
cpu1: smt 0, core 1, package 0
cpu2 at mainbus0: apid 1 (application processor)
cpu2: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2294.63 MHz
cpu2:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUS
H,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX
,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT
,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,ABM,3DNOWP,PERF,ITS
C,FSGSBASE,SGX,BMI1,HLE,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,RTM,MPX,RDSEED,ADX,SMAP,C
LFLUSHOPT,PT,SENSOR,ARAT
cpu2: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
cpu2: smt 1, core 0, package 0
cpu3 at mainbus0: apid 3 (application processor)
cpu3: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2294.63 MHz
cpu3:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUS
H,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX
,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT
,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,ABM,3DNOWP,PERF,ITS
C,FSGSBASE,SGX,BMI1,HLE,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,RTM,MPX,RDSEED,ADX,SMAP,C
LFLUSHOPT,PT,SENSOR,ARAT
cpu3: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
cpu3: smt 1, core 1, package 0
ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 2 pa 0xfec00000, version 20, 120 pins
acpimcfg0 at acpi0 addr 0xf8000000, bus 0-63
acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
acpiprt1 at acpi0: bus -1 (PEG0)
acpiprt2 at acpi0: bus -1 (PEG1)
acpiprt3 at acpi0: bus -1 (PEG2)
acpiprt4 at acpi0: bus 2 (EXP1)
acpiprt5 at acpi0: bus 4 (EXP3)
acpiprt6 at acpi0: bus -1 (EXP4)
acpiprt7 at acpi0: bus -1 (EXP5)
acpiprt8 at acpi0: bus -1 (EXP8)
acpicpu0 at acpi0: C3(200@1034 mwait.1@0x60), C2(200@151 mwait.1@0x33),
C1(1000@1 mwait.1), PSS
acpicpu1 at acpi0: C3(200@1034 mwait.1@0x60), C2(200@151 mwait.1@0x33),
C1(1000@1 mwait.1), PSS
acpicpu2 at acpi0: C3(200@1034 mwait.1@0x60), C2(200@151 mwait.1@0x33),
C1(1000@1 mwait.1), PSS
acpicpu3 at acpi0: C3(200@1034 mwait.1@0x60), C2(200@151 mwait.1@0x33),
C1(1000@1 mwait.1), PSS
acpipwrres0 at acpi0: PUBS, resource for XHCI
acpipwrres1 at acpi0: PG00, resource for PEG0
acpipwrres2 at acpi0: PG01, resource for PEG1
acpipwrres3 at acpi0: PG02, resource for PEG2
acpipwrres4 at acpi0: WRST
acpipwrres5 at acpi0: WRST
acpitz0 at acpi0: critical temperature is 128 degC
acpibtn0 at acpi0: LID_
acpibtn1 at acpi0: SLPB
"LEN0071" at acpi0 not configured
"LEN2014" at acpi0 not configured
"INT3F0D" at acpi0 not configured
acpibat0 at acpi0: BAT0 model "45N1111" serial 14987 type LiP oem "SONY"
acpibat1 at acpi0: BAT1 model "45N1777" serial  1891 type LION oem "SANYO"
acpiac0 at acpi0: AC unit online
acpithinkpad0 at acpi0
"PNP0C14" at acpi0 not configured
"PNP0C14" at acpi0 not configured
"PNP0C14" at acpi0 not configured
"MSFT0101" at acpi0 not configured
"INT3394" at acpi0 not configured
acpivideo0 at acpi0: GFX0
acpivout at acpivideo0 not configured
cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep 2293 MHz: speeds: 2401, 2400, 2300, 2200, 2000, 1900,
1700, 1600, 1400, 1300, 1100, 1000, 800, 700, 500, 400 MHz
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Core 6G Host" rev 0x08
vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel HD Graphics 520" rev 0x07
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
xhci0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0 "Intel 100 Series xHCI" rev 0x21: msi
usb0 at xhci0: USB revision 3.0
uhub0 at usb0 "Intel xHCI root hub" rev 3.00/1.00 addr 1
pchtemp0 at pci0 dev 20 function 2 "Intel 100 Series Thermal" rev 0x21
"Intel 100 Series MEI" rev 0x21 at pci0 dev 22 function 0 not configured
puc0 at pci0 dev 22 function 3 "Intel 100 Series KT" rev 0x21: ports: 1 com
com4 at puc0 port 0 apic 2 int 19: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
ahci0 at pci0 dev 23 function 0 "Intel 100 Series AHCI" rev 0x21: msi, AHCI
1.3.1
ahci0: port 1: 6.0Gb/s
scsibus1 at ahci0: 32 targets
sd0 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <ATA, WDC WD5000LPLX-0, 02.0> SCSI3 0/direct
fixed naa.50014ee606feab44
sd0: 476940MB, 512 bytes/sector, 976773168 sectors
ppb0 at pci0 dev 28 function 0 "Intel 100 Series PCIE" rev 0xf1: msi
pci1 at ppb0 bus 2
rtsx0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "Realtek RTS522A Card Reader" rev 0x01: msi
sdmmc0 at rtsx0: 4-bit
ppb1 at pci0 dev 28 function 2 "Intel 100 Series PCIE" rev 0xf1: msi
pci2 at ppb1 bus 4
iwm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260" rev 0x3a,
msi
pcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0 "Intel 100 Series LPC" rev 0x21
"Intel 100 Series PMC" rev 0x21 at pci0 dev 31 function 2 not configured
azalia0 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 "Intel 100 Series HD Audio" rev 0x21: msi
azalia0: codecs: Realtek/0x0293, Intel/0x2809, using Realtek/0x0293
audio0 at azalia0
ichiic0 at pci0 dev 31 function 4 "Intel 100 Series SMBus" rev 0x21: apic 2
int 16
iic0 at ichiic0
sdtemp0 at iic0 addr 0x18: gt30ts00
em0 at pci0 dev 31 function 6 "Intel I219-LM" rev 0x21: msi, address
c8:5b:76:5b:33:93
isa0 at pcib0
isadma0 at isa0
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5 irq 1 irq 12
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
wsmouse1 at pms0 mux 0
pms0: Synaptics clickpad, firmware 8.1
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
spkr0 at pcppi0
ugen0 at uhub0 port 7 "Intel product 0x0a2b" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 2
uvideo0 at uhub0 port 8 configuration 1 interface 0 "Chicony Electronics
Co.,Ltd. Integrated Camera" rev 2.00/0.29 addr 3
video0 at uvideo0
vscsi0 at root
scsibus2 at vscsi0: 256 targets
softraid0 at root
scsibus3 at softraid0: 256 targets
root on sd0a (03e327afbc8191a2.a) swap on sd0b dump on sd0b
iwm0: hw rev 0x200, fw ver 16.242414.0, address e4:a7:a0:ad:94:09
ugen0 detached
video0 detached
uvideo0 detached
uhub0 detached
uhub0 at usb0 "Intel xHCI root hub" rev 3.00/1.00 addr 1
ugen0 at uhub0 port 7 "Intel product 0x0a2b" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 2
uvideo0 at uhub0 port 8 configuration 1 interface 0 "Chicony Electronics
Co.,Ltd. Integrated Camera" rev 2.00/0.29 addr 3
video0 at uvideo0
syncing disks... done
rebooting...
cpu0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2293.29 MHz
cpu0:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUS
H,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX
,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT
,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,ABM,3DNOWP,PERF,ITS
C,FSGSBASE,SGX,BMI1,HLE,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,RTM,MPX,RDSEED,ADX,SMAP,C
LFLUSHOPT,PT,SENSOR,ARAT
cpu0: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
cpu0: smt 0, core 0, package 0
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support, 10 var ranges, 88 fixed ranges
cpu0: apic clock running at 24MHz
cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, C-substates=0.2.1.2.4.1.1.1, IBE
cpu1 at mainbus0: apid 2 (application processor)
cpu1: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2294.68 MHz
cpu1:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUS
H,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX
,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT
,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,ABM,3DNOWP,PERF,ITS
C,FSGSBASE,SGX,BMI1,HLE,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,RTM,MPX,RDSEED,ADX,SMAP,C
LFLUSHOPT,PT,SENSOR,ARAT
cpu1: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
cpu1: smt 0, core 1, package 0
cpu2 at mainbus0: apid 1 (application processor)
cpu2: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2294.68 MHz
cpu2:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUS
H,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX
,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT
,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,ABM,3DNOWP,PERF,ITS
C,FSGSBASE,SGX,BMI1,HLE,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,RTM,MPX,RDSEED,ADX,SMAP,C
LFLUSHOPT,PT,SENSOR,ARAT
cpu2: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
cpu2: smt 1, core 0, package 0
cpu3 at mainbus0: apid 3 (application processor)
cpu3: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2294.68 MHz
cpu3:

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 08:03:04PM -0600, jordon wrote:
> WiFi Just Works!

> iwm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260" rev 0x3a,
> msi

Uhmm, you probably wanna be running -current with this one.
Then wifi should work even better ;-)

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Bryan C. Everly-2
I have been running a Thinkpad x220 for some time until it died. I replaced
it with an x230 (my RAM, hard drive and mSATA drive were compatible so I
moved them) and I must say it is a much better machine. Everything
literally works out of the box and the build quality was much better.

I am now waiting on an X1 Carbon (4th generation) to arrive that I will be
moving to. I know we haven't caught up with Skylake so I won't have suspend
or Intel graphics but I have confidence we will get there eventually. I'll
put up a blog post detailing my installation experience when I get it (
http://functionallyparanoid.com).

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 6:46 AM Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 08:03:04PM -0600, jordon wrote:
> > WiFi Just Works!
>
> > iwm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260" rev
> 0x3a,
> > msi
>
> Uhmm, you probably wanna be running -current with this one.
> Then wifi should work even better ;-)

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Chris Bennett
On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 12:36:54PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 08:03:04PM -0600, jordon wrote:
> > WiFi Just Works!
>
> > iwm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260" rev 0x3a,
> > msi
>
> Uhmm, you probably wanna be running -current with this one.
> Then wifi should work even better ;-)

I consistently have problems with weak WiFi signals wherever I'm at.
For one of my desktops, I solve that problem by using a huge antenna I
got years ago while I had a cheap WiFi repeater.

However, this doesn't solve my problem when using a laptop.

Are there any good solutions out there that will work with a laptop?
My first thought would be a USB device since I can run a powered hub,
but a card could also work, though they tend to cook themselves rather
quickly since there is no good cooling method.

I am assuming I will need to add a large antenna also, but maybe not?

I also notice that Thinkpads and Toughbooks seem to be the preferred
choices for a cheaper laptop. I need a newer laptop too, so I will look
into those on ebay.

Thanks
Chris Bennett

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

jordon-7
> On Nov 12, 2016, at 5:36 AM, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 08:03:04PM -0600, jordon wrote:
>> WiFi Just Works!
>
>> iwm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260" rev 0x3a,
>> msi
>
> Uhmm, you probably wanna be running -current with this one.
> Then wifi should work even better ;-)

Wow.  I just looked up if_iwm.c on the web-cvs - you’ve been busy!

I am willing to run the latest snapshot (I did have it installed on this new
laptop for a little while) but I have one question.  I seem to remember
running a latest snapshot almost a year ago when I submitted support for a PCI
serial card (puc device).  When I was running current, there were no packages.
What is the official way to install packages when running current?  Build them
from ports?

Also, playing with the new vmm would be fun too, so there’s another reason
to run current…

Jordon

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

bytevolcano
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 07:25:11 -0600
Chris Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also notice that Thinkpads and Toughbooks seem to be the preferred
> choices for a cheaper laptop. I need a newer laptop too, so I will
> look into those on ebay.
>
> Thanks
> Chris Bennett

Toughbooks, when new, are definitely not cheap. Even when second-hand,
they are probably a little more expensive than their Thinkpad
counterparts. OpenBSD has a habit of working very well on older
ThinkPads.

Not that it's a bad thing though, you do get what you pay for. The
price difference is significant though, and boils down to the fact that
one brand is a solid, rugged machine built for field use, and how a
laptop should be anyway, and the other brand is a cheap Chinese
product, which relies upon shoddy and questionable quality control and
business practices.

For a second-hand Toughbook to be very cheap, it is usually almost a
decade old. However, a new Toughbook CF-31 will work around 90% well
with OpenBSD, though I am not sure about the optional GPS or HSPA modem.

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Otto Moerbeek
On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 07:46:30AM -0600, Jordon wrote:

> > On Nov 12, 2016, at 5:36 AM, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 08:03:04PM -0600, jordon wrote:
> >> WiFi Just Works!
> >
> >> iwm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8260" rev 0x3a,
> >> msi
> >
> > Uhmm, you probably wanna be running -current with this one.
> > Then wifi should work even better ;-)
>
> Wow.  I just looked up if_iwm.c on the web-cvs - you’ve been busy!
>
> I am willing to run the latest snapshot (I did have it installed on this new
> laptop for a little while) but I have one question.  I seem to remember
> running a latest snapshot almost a year ago when I submitted support for a PCI
> serial card (puc device).  When I was running current, there were no packages.
> What is the official way to install packages when running current?  Build them
> from ports?
>
> Also, playing with the new vmm would be fun too, so there’s another reason
> to run current…
>
> Jordon

For amd64 and other fast arches, most of the time, packages snaps
*are* available at

http://your-mirror/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/`machine -a`/

        -Otto

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Bryan C. Everly-2
I picked up a Core 2 Duo Toughbook for $40 US on eBay a month or so back. I
had to spend another $9 to get an Intel WiFi card for it but it worked
right out of the box. With an older processor and only 4gb of RAM it isn't
a powerhouse dev machine, but for email, web, etc it works great. The wifi
has good antennas and quite a nice range.

To me that is a great example of what is wonderful about OpenBSD. The
community isn't afraid to get rid of or replace old code. That keeps the OS
light and performant. Any other operating system I have experienced
(windows, macOS, Solaris, OS/2, AmigaDOS, even Linux to a certain extent,
etc.) gets slower with each subsequent release on older hardware. Not so
with OpenBSD - in some cases it even gets faster.

As a software developer for the last 30 years, I totally get the trap. You
want to add your feature or fix your bug, and the complexity of the entire
system surrounding youmakes you worry about your change being too intrusive
and inadvertently breaking something else in the system. By being
courageous and deleting stuff you know is a problem, sure you might have
unintended side effects that you have to expend energy to fix, but you also
fight against that complexity demon that makes you increasingly more
nervous that you let inefficiencies develop and build over time.

Thank you again to everyone who has contributed over the years for your
hard work! We do genuinely appreciate it.

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 9:04 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 07:25:11 -0600
> Chris Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I also notice that Thinkpads and Toughbooks seem to be the preferred
> > choices for a cheaper laptop. I need a newer laptop too, so I will
> > look into those on ebay.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Chris Bennett
> >

> Toughbooks, when new, are definitely not cheap. Even when second-hand,
> they are probably a little more expensive than their Thinkpad
> counterparts. OpenBSD has a habit of working very well on older
> ThinkPads.
>
> Not that it's a bad thing though, you do get what you pay for. The
> price difference is significant though, and boils down to the fact that
> one brand is a solid, rugged machine built for field use, and how a
> laptop should be anyway, and the other brand is a cheap Chinese
> product, which relies upon shoddy and questionable quality control and
> business practices.
>
> For a second-hand Toughbook to be very cheap, it is usually almost a
> decade old. However, a new Toughbook CF-31 will work around 90% well
> with OpenBSD, though I am not sure about the optional GPS or HSPA modem.

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Mihai Popescu-3
Folks, pay attention, please! The OP asked about a laptop.
Pansonic Thoughbook is not a laptop! It's a real desktop.

Thanks.

12