Keeping OpenBSD up2date

bonne
I like OpenBSD for it's easiness, straight forwardness and simpleness on
daily usage. Unfortunately with the last releases, I find keeping OpenBSD
up2date between releases to be confusing. Please help me on this one:

Well... I have been quite happy using cvsup to keep my src and ports
up2date, but it seems that this is getting quite impossible to use lately,
as the servers I normally use to pull from seem to block cvsup. )-:

Then I read that cvsync seem to be the way to go... although I can't get it
to work proberly.

I follow http://www.openbsd.org/cvsync.html and I am able to pull a
repository (size 5.2G)

Then I am going to pull the patch branch (well using cvsup, I normally go
for current), and I do:

# cd /usr
# cvs -d/cvs checkout -P src

It works... I am getting what looks to be update source files. I find the
changes of
http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/5.4/common/002_sshgcm.patch in
monitor_wrap.c

Then I going to compile from source (system is i386) by doing:

# cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf # config GENERIC # cd ../compile/GENERIC #
make clean && make # make install

Well... it looks to be going fine... not noticing any errors at least, and
I can find the new kernel /bsd. But...

Rebooting... and the system ends in limbo-mode.

I have to boot doing "b /obsd"

I can't figure out where the process goes wrong. Anyone?

Regards, Lars.

Re: Keeping OpenBSD up2date

Zoran Kolic-4
If it doesn't matter how you update the system,
much easier would be to go binary.
I pretty regurarly follow snapshots and update
from bsd.rd. Just read faqs about the subject.
Packages are also easy to update, with pkg_add.

                          Zoran

Re: Keeping OpenBSD up2date

Nick Holland
Short version: you are doing it wrong.

On 12/08/13 09:49, Lars Bonnesen wrote:

> I like OpenBSD for it's easiness, straight forwardness and simpleness on
> daily usage. Unfortunately with the last releases, I find keeping OpenBSD
> up2date between releases to be confusing. Please help me on this one:
>
> Well... I have been quite happy using cvsup to keep my src and ports
> up2date, but it seems that this is getting quite impossible to use lately,
> as the servers I normally use to pull from seem to block cvsup. )-:
>
> Then I read that cvsync seem to be the way to go... although I can't get it
> to work proberly.

why are you using cvsync?  Why do you want to maintain your own repository?

ok, I'm deleting the rest of this out of fear that someone else might
think this is the process.

Go read http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html
Start at the very first line, and go at least to 5.4.  Pay very very
close attention to sections 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4.  (yes, I repeat
myself -- there's nothing in this first part you get to skip reading)

Be very careful to read (and follow) what it tells you to do, NOT what
you think it is telling you to do.  Your use of non-words like "up2date"
is telling me you are trying to use some other model on OpenBSD.

Nick.

Re: Keeping OpenBSD up2date

Alexander Hall
Lars Bonnesen <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I like OpenBSD for it's easiness, straight forwardness and simpleness
>on
>daily usage. Unfortunately with the last releases, I find keeping
>OpenBSD
>up2date between releases to be confusing. Please help me on this one:
>
>Well... I have been quite happy using cvsup to keep my src and ports
>up2date, but it seems that this is getting quite impossible to use
>lately,
>as the servers I normally use to pull from seem to block cvsup. )-:
>
>Then I read that cvsync seem to be the way to go... although I can't
>get it
>to work proberly.
>
>I follow http://www.openbsd.org/cvsync.html and I am able to pull a
>repository (size 5.2G)
>
>Then I am going to pull the patch branch (well using cvsup, I normally
>go
>for current), and I do:
>
># cd /usr
># cvs -d/cvs checkout -P src

Yes that gives you -current. Did you install a snapshot first? Did you read current.html?

>It works... I am getting what looks to be update source files. I find
>the
>changes of
>http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/patches/5.4/common/002_sshgcm.patch
>in
>monitor_wrap.c
>
>Then I going to compile from source (system is i386) by doing:
>
># cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf # config GENERIC # cd
>../compile/GENERIC #
>make clean && make # make install
>
>Well... it looks to be going fine... not noticing any errors at least,
>and
>I can find the new kernel /bsd. But...
>
>Rebooting... and the system ends in limbo-mode.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

>I have to boot doing "b /obsd"
>
>I can't figure out where the process goes wrong. Anyone?

Your kernel was compiled with "option LIMBO" set, maybe?

Provide more details.

/Alexander