KVM / Proxmox Hosted OpenBSD Boxes Multiqueue Virtio Query

KVM / Proxmox Hosted OpenBSD Boxes Multiqueue Virtio Query

Tom Smyth
Hello All
I havent seen much by way of advice about multiqueue virtio
support on OpenBSD and I was wondering do other users use it ?
does anyone have experience with setting the number of virtio
queues in Proxmox for an OpenBSD guest ?
It is suggested by
proxmox  / KVM to set the number of Queues presented to a vm
to be = the number of vCPUs you have assigned to the Guest.

Any tips advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Re: KVM / Proxmox Hosted OpenBSD Boxes Multiqueue Virtio Query

Stefan Fritsch
On Friday, 1 December 2017 02:27:53 CET Tom Smyth wrote:
> Hello All
> I havent seen much by way of advice about multiqueue virtio
> support on OpenBSD and I was wondering do other users use it ?
> does anyone have experience with setting the number of virtio
> queues in Proxmox for an OpenBSD guest ?
> It is suggested by
> proxmox  / KVM to set the number of Queues presented to a vm
> to be = the number of vCPUs you have assigned to the Guest.

openbsd does not yet support multiqueue for virtio and it does not make much
sense to add that until the network stack is more parallel.

Cheers,
Stefan

Re: KVM / Proxmox Hosted OpenBSD Boxes Multiqueue Virtio Query

Tom Smyth
Stefan, All,

Thanks for your Response,  the reason I was asking was I was experiencing
some packet loss on a sub 1Gb/s Connection, on a setup where by
I had 70vlans on one interface and these vlans were subsequently  Bridged onto
another virtio Interface
I added in an additional Virtio Interface, and split the 70 Vlans
across 2 interfaces
ie I had 35 vlans on 2 virtio interfaces and then the 70 vlans were
bridged onto a
third virtio interface. This seemed to reduce the loss that I had.

Hope this helps and Stefan Thanks for your feedback

Tom Smyth