Jitsi on OpenBSD

Edd Barrett-3
Hi,

(CC people who may be knowledgable in this area)

I was wondering if anyone has got the Jitsi (https://jitsi.org/)
web-client working on OpenBSD?

It's open-source (and self-hostable) video conferencing.

No prizes for guessing why I'm investigating this :P

I've just (quickly) tried the browser client in firefox:

 - It recognises my microphone and my camera.
 - Thumbnail shows local video feed OK.
 - I can hear audio from an android participant.
 - The android participant cannot hear the audio from the OpenBSD machine.
 - The video is super-flaky on both ends.

Did this, as per firefox README:

 - I have sysctl kern.audio.record=1.
 - I chowned /dev/video0 to me.

This evening I'm going to have a deeper play around (e.g. verify if mic
works in aucat), but if anyone has got this working before, I'd love to
hear what tweaks they had to do.

Could be that the jitsi server is overloaded.

Thanks

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: Jitsi on OpenBSD

tom ryan
On 2020-03-16 21:59, Edd Barrett wrote:
> Could be that the jitsi server is overloaded.

I doubt that - unless it's changed since I last looked, the Jitsi server
does very little actual "work" during a call... most of the work is done
in the browser (which is why Jitsi scales to "many calls" very well, and
"many participants" very poorly)

Re: Jitsi on OpenBSD

Alexandre Ratchov-2
On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 10:59:08AM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (CC people who may be knowledgable in this area)
>
> I was wondering if anyone has got the Jitsi (https://jitsi.org/)
> web-client working on OpenBSD?
>
> It's open-source (and self-hostable) video conferencing.
>
> No prizes for guessing why I'm investigating this :P
>
> I've just (quickly) tried the browser client in firefox:
>
>  - It recognises my microphone and my camera.
>  - Thumbnail shows local video feed OK.
>  - I can hear audio from an android participant.
>  - The android participant cannot hear the audio from the OpenBSD machine.
>  - The video is super-flaky on both ends.
>
> Did this, as per firefox README:
>
>  - I have sysctl kern.audio.record=1.
>  - I chowned /dev/video0 to me.
>
> This evening I'm going to have a deeper play around (e.g. verify if mic
> works in aucat), but if anyone has got this working before, I'd love to
> hear what tweaks they had to do.
>
> Could be that the jitsi server is overloaded.

Hi,

I haven't used jitsi yet, but other video-converencing web sites
properly work in firefox. Jitsi claim they support chrome only, but
according to the settings window's microphone level meter, it's
properly recording.

There was a recent regression in firefox 73., so check that you're
using version 74 before testing.

HTH,

-- Alexandre

Re: Jitsi on OpenBSD

Jordan Geoghegan-3

On 2020-03-16 03:59, Edd Barrett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (CC people who may be knowledgable in this area)
>
> I was wondering if anyone has got the Jitsi (https://jitsi.org/)
> web-client working on OpenBSD?
>
> It's open-source (and self-hostable) video conferencing.
>
> No prizes for guessing why I'm investigating this :P
>
> I've just (quickly) tried the browser client in firefox:
>
>   - It recognises my microphone and my camera.
>   - Thumbnail shows local video feed OK.
>   - I can hear audio from an android participant.
>   - The android participant cannot hear the audio from the OpenBSD machine.
>   - The video is super-flaky on both ends.
>
> Did this, as per firefox README:
>
>   - I have sysctl kern.audio.record=1.
>   - I chowned /dev/video0 to me.
>
> This evening I'm going to have a deeper play around (e.g. verify if mic
> works in aucat), but if anyone has got this working before, I'd love to
> hear what tweaks they had to do.
>
> Could be that the jitsi server is overloaded.
>
> Thanks

You may also want to try out talky.io, its treated my me well over the
years and has a very similar concept to jitsi.

Jordan

(ps sorry for sending you this twice, forgot to cc misc on my first attempt)

Re: Jitsi on OpenBSD

Edd Barrett-3
Hi all,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 02:08:10PM +0100, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
> I haven't used jitsi yet, but other video-converencing web sites
> properly work in firefox. Jitsi claim they support chrome only, but
> according to the settings window's microphone level meter, it's
> properly recording.

Just to update this thread.

I got jitsi working on my desktop machine using a USB headset, but
failed to get it working on my Thinkpad X1 5th gen (with either the
built-in mic, or using a headset in the audio jack).

On my desktop:

 - kern.audio.record=1

 - sndiod_flags="-f rsnd/0 -f rsnd/1" in rc.conf.local.
   (rsnd/1 is the headset)

 - then in your shell rc:
   "alias jitsi='AUDIODEVICE=snd/1 firefox -p jitsi https://meet.jit.si/'"

   Note it's snd/1 not rsnd/1 in the above.

I used a new firefox instance so that only calls go via the headset.

As for video, in firefox, other people can see my video stream, but I
don't see theirs.

If I try the same in chrome, I see other people's video, but they don't
see mine.

Another thing to note is that mouse-overing the firefox window causes
jitsi to fade in a toolbar. That animation causes the audio to skip. I
wish I could kill it!

Nonetheless, that's enough for simple audio calls.

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk

Re: Jitsi on OpenBSD

slackwaree
Although this is not the kind of response you are expecting... I have spent tremendous amount of time playing around with these voip hodge-podge softphones like Jitsi, Qualcom, Ekiga, Linphone etc etc. One is worst than the other, they are all full of bugs, their dev teams/community suck so before you would also waste a gigantic amount of time on ANY of these I recommend you that:

A, Get a commercial product like Bria
B, Get a hardware appliance

You can thank me later...

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.