Java firefox plugin

ICMan
Hello,

When I compiled the JDK 1.5 in ports, it did not create a plugin for
Firefox, or if it did, I can't find it.  Can anyone help?  I would like
to install the plugin for my Firefox implementation

Also, is there any information about other plugins for Firefox which
have been ported to OpenBSD?  in particular, I would like to find
Macromedia Flash and Shockwave plugins if they are available.

Thank you.

Re: Java firefox plugin

Jolan Luff
On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 04:27:30PM -0500, ICMan wrote:
> When I compiled the JDK 1.5 in ports, it did not create a plugin for
> Firefox, or if it did, I can't find it.  Can anyone help?  I would like
> to install the plugin for my Firefox implementation

You didn't mention if this is on an i386 machine or amd64 machine.  On
amd64 the plugin is not installed since it isn't functional due to not
being 64-bit clean.

On i386, unless you specified the no_web FLAVOR you should have seen a
mesage after installation, perhaps you missed it:

To use the Java plugin with Mozilla or Mozilla-firefox you must create
a symbolic link (do not copy or hard link) from

/usr/local/jdk-1.5.0/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

to your local Mozilla plugins directory, which is found at

~/.mozilla/plugins/

or to the shared Mozilla plugins directory, which is found at

/usr/local/lib/mozilla-plugins/

> Also, is there any information about other plugins for Firefox which
> have been ported to OpenBSD?  in particular, I would like to find
> Macromedia Flash and Shockwave plugins if they are available.

If you're using 4.0-current, there's a port of an alpha version of
gnash, the GNU flash player.  It's not very reliable at the moment so
you may be better off using Opera for flash:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html#flashplugin