Java Development

Morris, Roy
I was wondering if anyone can recommend tools for java
development on OpenBSD. Would it be reasonable to assume
for example (jdk 1.5 + eclipse ) or (jdk 1.5 + netbeans) or
whatever ..

I guess what I am looking for the most common development configuration
people are using.

Thanks!
Roy

Re: Java Development

Bachman Kharazmi
compile jdk1.5 as mentioned in the FAQ. as editor eclipse is suitable,
it does even exist as pkg. I'm pretty sure that neatbeans is something
you have to deal with yourself.

When I've been writing code in java I've only used vim and compiled
java. Then there are a few things I miss. Like for example support to
easily debug my code which I think(and hope) eclipse has.
/bkw
On 06/06/06, Roy Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone can recommend tools for java
> development on OpenBSD. Would it be reasonable to assume
> for example (jdk 1.5 + eclipse ) or (jdk 1.5 + netbeans) or
> whatever ..
>
> I guess what I am looking for the most common development configuration
> people are using.

Re: Java Development

Mark Prins
[hidden email] <> wrote on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 11:33 PM:

> compile jdk1.5 as mentioned in the FAQ. as editor eclipse is suitable,
> it does even exist as pkg. I'm pretty sure that neatbeans is something
> you have to deal with yourself.
>
> When I've been writing code in java I've only used vim and compiled
> java. Then there are a few things I miss. Like for example support to
> easily debug my code which I think(and hope) eclipse has. /bkw
> On 06/06/06, Roy Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone can recommend tools for java
>> development on OpenBSD. Would it be reasonable to assume
>> for example (jdk 1.5 + eclipse ) or (jdk 1.5 + netbeans) or whatever
>> ..
>>
>> I guess what I am looking for the most common development
>> configuration people are using.

An ide can be very useful. Try eclipse; the version in packages is rich
in features and pretty much uptodate. I use it lightly with java 5 and
it seems just as stable as on my windows box

Mark

Ping to Chart World Tour 2006
CARIS is hosting a five-day workshop near you.
Visit www.caris.com/worldtour for details.

CARIS 2007
11th International User Group Conference and Educational Sessions
5 - 9 March 2007, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Register now to qualify for an early registration discount.
Visit www.caris.com/caris2007 to learn more
CARIS Geographic Information Systems BV
phone: +31 413 296 010
fax: +31 413 296 012
web: http://www.caris.nl
product support: [hidden email]
sales/marketing: [hidden email]
This email contains confidential information for the intended recipient.
If you are not the intended addressee, please notify us immediately.
You should not use, disclose, distribute or copy this communication
if received in error.
No binding contract will result from this message until such a time as
a written contract has been signed on behalf of the company named above.
This message has been scanned for viruses using McAfee Groupshield.
This message has been modified by the virusscanner.

Re: Java Development

Roy Morris-4
Mark Prins wrote:

> [hidden email] <> wrote on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 11:33 PM:
>
>> compile jdk1.5 as mentioned in the FAQ. as editor eclipse is suitable,
>> it does even exist as pkg. I'm pretty sure that neatbeans is something
>> you have to deal with yourself.
>>
>> When I've been writing code in java I've only used vim and compiled
>> java. Then there are a few things I miss. Like for example support to
>> easily debug my code which I think(and hope) eclipse has. /bkw
>> On 06/06/06, Roy Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I was wondering if anyone can recommend tools for java
>>> development on OpenBSD. Would it be reasonable to assume
>>> for example (jdk 1.5 + eclipse ) or (jdk 1.5 + netbeans) or whatever
>>> ..
>>>
>>> I guess what I am looking for the most common development
>>> configuration people are using.
>
> An ide can be very useful. Try eclipse; the version in packages is rich
> in features and pretty much uptodate. I use it lightly with java 5 and
> it seems just as stable as on my windows box
>
> Mark
Thanks Mark,
I have jdk1.5 + Eclipse installed. I made hello world and it seems to
work fine.

Cheers
Rm