Java 1.6 & thinkorswim from TDAmeritrade

Java 1.6 & thinkorswim from TDAmeritrade

Marcel Dan-2
Hi,

I have been unable to get thinkorswim connected to the TDAmeritrade server
on OpenBSD.

Has anyone used thinkorswim from TDAmeritrade on OpenBSD?

thanks,

Marcel

Re: Java 1.6 & thinkorswim from TDAmeritrade

J.C. Roberts-3
On Wed, 5 May 2010 20:27:33 -0700 Marcel Dan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been unable to get thinkorswim connected to the TDAmeritrade
> server on OpenBSD.
>
> Has anyone used thinkorswim from TDAmeritrade on OpenBSD?
>
> thanks,
>
> Marcel

You need to provide more information. What *exactly* are you trying to
do, how are you trying to do it, what is your configuration, and what if
any error messages do you get in your xterm?

It's been a few years (2007), but yes, I had ThinkOrSwim running on
OpenBSD at one point in time. It was only running with a "demo"
account, so I doubt TDAmeritrade was involved, but I'm not certain
(e.g. TDAmeritrade *might* have been the source of the quote streams
for demo accounts, but I really don't know for certain).

If you're not running from a xterm, you should be.

        $ cd /place/where/tos/is/installed
        $ java -jar launcher.jar

If you want more debug info:
        $ java -debug -jar launcher.jar

Though the above should get you the vast majority of status/error
messages, you should also keep an eye on the output of your console
(VT1).

You'll need the typical java settings in your environment (or in
your ~/.kshrc). You'll need to ln(1) whatever java version you're using
to /usr/local/java and /usr/lcoal/share/java if you have multiple
versions of java installed, as well as set up your classpath. A little
shell script can handle it:

        # Java Stuff
        export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java
        CLASSPATH=./
        CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib
        CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$JAVA_HOME/lib
        CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/rt.jar
        CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/usr/local/share/java/classes
        export CLASSPATH
        export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/jre/bin

In 2007 the ThinkOrSwim folks liked to claim compatibility with ancient
java versions (e.g. v1.1), but they really don't do proper testing to
make sure their claims are accurate. From my testing in 2007, at least
Java 1.5 was actually required.

My notes also mention needing to run
        $ touch thinkorswim.lax

in the ./TOS/ directory to get rid of an error message on startup since
the file was not created by default. This bug was reported, but I'm not
sure if it was ever fixed.

NOTE: Though TOS ran fine for me with a demo account, things have
undoubtedly changed in their software since 2007.

        jcr

The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org

Re: Java 1.6 & thinkorswim from TDAmeritrade

Diana Eichert
On Wed, 5 May 2010, J.C. Roberts wrote:
SNIP
> It's been a few years (2007), but yes, I had ThinkOrSwim running on
> OpenBSD at one point in time. It was only running with a "demo"
> account, so I doubt TDAmeritrade was involved, but I'm not certain
> (e.g. TDAmeritrade *might* have been the source of the quote streams
> for demo accounts, but I really don't know for certain).

ToS was purchased by TDA in the last year.  In 07 they were still
using their own servers, I haven't checked to see if the server
connection was different when running ToS connected to my ThinkorSwim
account vs ToS connected to my TDA account.

diana

Re: Java 1.6 & thinkorswim from TDAmeritrade

Marcel Dan-2
I have to work on it more to get more info but I was wondering if someone
had it running before I spend time on it.

Basically, I can install and start to run the thinkorswim app but it hangs
when it "downloads" the new version after the login.

In regards to the app itself, I can login and use it on other OS's...in
Debian (squeeze) however I have to disable ip6 for it to work.

In regards to Java 1.6, I can run and login in the freechess.org server
using the Jin chess client on OpenBSD.

I thought about calling TD directly but I'm sure they are swamped after the
market panic today.

thanks,

Marcel

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 6:25 AM, Diana Eichert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 May 2010, Marcel Dan wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> I have been unable to get thinkorswim connected to the TDAmeritrade server
>> on OpenBSD.
>>
>> Has anyone used thinkorswim from TDAmeritrade on OpenBSD?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Marcel
>>

> OMG another stock / options / futures trader.  I wish I could help,
> but I run ToS on either Linux or Winders.
>
> What happens when you run ToS?
>
> diana

Re: Java 1.6 & thinkorswim from TDAmeritrade

Marcel Dan-2
Thanks for the reply.

I'm running i386 4.7 current (as of last week)  with jdk 1.6 installed from
cvs/ports.

I found the error.

06.05.10 17:24:22 ERROR util.PerformanceMonitor - Error creating snapshot:
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Thread CPU Time Measurement is not
supported.
at sun.management.ThreadImpl.getThreadCpuTime(ThreadImpl.java:196)
at
com.devexperts.tos.util.JvmStateSnapshot.getCurrentCpuTimes(JvmStateSnapshot.java:45)
at
com.devexperts.tos.ui.user.util.PerformanceMonitor.createSnapshot(PerformanceMonitor.java:292)
at
com.devexperts.tos.ui.user.util.PerformanceMonitor.run(PerformanceMonitor.java:495)

I will keep working on it and post any successful results.

Thanks,

Marcel

On Thu, 6 May 2010 17:42:32 -0700 Marcel Dan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running i386 4.7 current (as of last week)  with jdk 1.6
> installed from cvs/ports.
>
> I found the error.
>
> 06.05.10 17:24:22 ERROR util.PerformanceMonitor - Error creating
> snapshot: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Thread CPU Time
> Measurement is not supported.
> at sun.management.ThreadImpl.getThreadCpuTime(ThreadImpl.java:196)
> at
> com.devexperts.tos.util.JvmStateSnapshot.getCurrentCpuTimes
> (JvmStateSnapshot.java:45) at
> com.devexperts.tos.ui.user.util.PerformanceMonitor.createSnapshot
> (PerformanceMonitor.java:292) at
> com.devexperts.tos.ui.user.util.PerformanceMonitor.run
> (PerformanceMonitor.java:495)
>
> I will keep working on it and post any successful results.

You should report this upstream to ToS, but ya, wait until next week
since they'll be hellishly busy with the crash/rectification. Though
previously ToS made false claims about supported java versions, now
they don't make any claims at all. Just Lovely.

I only found one outstanding and confirmed bug in the specific class
mentioned in your error message:

It may, or may not, be related to your problem, but the bug report does
mention authentication.

As reported, the above bug effects 1.5 and 1.6, (specifically
jdk-1.6.0_18-b07) but there's no mention if the bug is in the current
jdk-1.6.0_21, or if it is present in the current openjdk-6-src-b19 (not
in ports, but "openjdk" is a different beast than "jdk").

If the problem is caused by a bug in java itself like the one above,
then you're totally hosed.

Our jdk 1.6 version in ports is jdk-1.6.0_03-b05 from Sep 2007, so it's
a few years old but according to the infamous marketing claims of their
"right once, ruin everywhere" motto, it should work.

Our openjdk 1.7 port *might* work for you (i386 or amd64), but realize
1.7 is a work in progress and Kurt Miller (kurt@) had to put a ton of
effort into openjdk 1.7 to make it run. The easy way to look at is, the
jdk-1.6 port has 22 patches and the openjdk-1.7 port has 308 patches.

I just started building 1.6 from ports on -current to look at this a bit
deeper, but my initial guess is the version we have in the ports tree
is too old for something fancy they're trying to do.

On Thu, 6 May 2010, Marcel Dan wrote:

> I have to work on it more to get more info but I was wondering if someone
> had it running before I spend time on it.
>
> Basically, I can install and start to run the thinkorswim app but it hangs
> when it "downloads" the new version after the login.
SNIP
> I thought about calling TD directly but I'm sure they are swamped after the
> market panic today.
>
> thanks,
>
> Marcel

Marcel

I had a similar problem when I first tried to run ToS on a Linux install.
The app would hang during the update download.  Now it works correctly.

I doubt you would get much help from either TDA or ToS regarding running
ToS on OpenBSD.  OpenBSD is not a supported OS, FWIW their support for
Linux is marginal compared to running under the MickeySoft OS.

diana
PS  You sure picked an interesting day to post about trading software.
:-)