It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Massimo Lusetti-2
Does it still doable nowadays to buy VIA padlock engine equipped
CPU/motherboard just to take advantage of the hw crypto acceleration?

I mean, to do IPSec stuff it's better to use a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU o an
ATOM one?

Do anyone have any experience?

Thanks in advantage
Massimo

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Stuart Henderson
On 2010-10-19, Massimo Lusetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does it still doable nowadays to buy VIA padlock engine equipped
> CPU/motherboard just to take advantage of the hw crypto acceleration?
>
> I mean, to do IPSec stuff it's better to use a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU o an
> ATOM one?

To do fast IPsec AES, it's better to use core i5 and -current.

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

patric conant
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 2010-10-19, Massimo Lusetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Does it still doable nowadays to buy VIA padlock engine equipped
> > CPU/motherboard just to take advantage of the hw crypto acceleration?
> >
> > I mean, to do IPSec stuff it's better to use a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU o an
> > ATOM one?
>
> To do fast IPsec AES, it's better to use core i5 and -current.

So when asked about using wood or steel studs do you reply brick?

--
 /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /    Respect for low technology.
 / \    Keep it ASCII.

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Theo de Raadt
> > On 2010-10-19, Massimo Lusetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Does it still doable nowadays to buy VIA padlock engine equipped
> > > CPU/motherboard just to take advantage of the hw crypto acceleration?
> > >
> > > I mean, to do IPSec stuff it's better to use a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU o an
> > > ATOM one?
> >
> > To do fast IPsec AES, it's better to use core i5 and -current.
> >

> So when asked about using wood or steel studs do you reply brick?

If you expected any of us to reply as if we are contractors or your
employees, you came to the wrong place.

If you want the answers you are looking for, do the work yourself.

On 2010/10/19 22:12, patric conant wrote:

> --0015174be052ec8dc6049303c775
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > On 2010-10-19, Massimo Lusetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Does it still doable nowadays to buy VIA padlock engine equipped
> > > CPU/motherboard just to take advantage of the hw crypto acceleration?
> > >
> > > I mean, to do IPSec stuff it's better to use a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU o an
> > > ATOM one?
> >
> > To do fast IPsec AES, it's better to use core i5 and -current.
> >

> So when asked about using wood or steel studs do you reply brick?

If it seems like someone might not know that brick exists and it
might be a better option for them, sure.

You might want to change your email signature.

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Massimo Lusetti-2
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:32:48 +0000 (UTC)
Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2010-10-19, Massimo Lusetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Does it still doable nowadays to buy VIA padlock engine equipped
> > CPU/motherboard just to take advantage of the hw crypto
> > acceleration?
> >
> > I mean, to do IPSec stuff it's better to use a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU o
> > an ATOM one?
>
> To do fast IPsec AES, it's better to use core i5 and -current.

Well, thanks for the info but I think I cannot use that kind of
boxes in this specific environment cause I need fanless boxes.

I've to replace Commell boards so I'm looking for something similar
(maybe fanless too) with 2/3/4 nics

I remember we chatted about this three/four years ago?

Anyany thanks again for the pointer...

Cheers
Massimo

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Francesco Vollero
Il 20/10/10 11.24, Massimo Lusetti ha scritto:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:32:48 +0000 (UTC)
> Stuart Henderson<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 2010-10-19, Massimo Lusetti<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Does it still doable nowadays to buy VIA padlock engine equipped
>>> CPU/motherboard just to take advantage of the hw crypto
>>> acceleration?
>>>
>>> I mean, to do IPSec stuff it's better to use a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU o
>>> an ATOM one?
>> To do fast IPsec AES, it's better to use core i5 and -current.
I agree with you Stuart. I'm currently doing with an i3 and -current and
seems pretty fast.

> Well, thanks for the info but I think I cannot use that kind of
> boxes in this specific environment cause I need fanless boxes.
>
> I've to replace Commell boards so I'm looking for something similar
> (maybe fanless too) with 2/3/4 nics
>
> I remember we chatted about this three/four years ago?

Did you already check here[1] ? :)

[1] http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&r=1&w=1

--Francesco

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Massimo Lusetti-2
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:35:19 +0200
Francesco Vollero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did you already check here[1] ? :)

I think I read misc@ daily plus tech@ and source-changes@ too and
that's the reason I'm asking.

I read (some time ago) VIA C7 has a crippled implementation of the
crypto flow instruction (if memory serves were from djm@).

I've more the 40 C7 boxes from 3/4 years ago serving us pretty well 24h
but they're start to failing some due to lack of conditioning other due
to lack of surge protection and so on... I cannot control the
environment where they are settled I just can provide suggestions and
directive... So I start to look around to find if it's the case to
switch architecture/platform too and I guess I could ask for direct
experience here in misc.

Just to have more clue on argument, so any hint is appreciated.

Cheers
Massimo

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Renzo Fabriek
Last time I was looking I found this fanless board.

Jetway J7F4K1G2-LV
It has a Via Eden 1,2Ghz proc

gr
Renzo

On Wednesday 20 October 2010 09:24:04 Massimo Lusetti wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:32:48 +0000 (UTC)
> Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 2010-10-19, Massimo Lusetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Does it still doable nowadays to buy VIA padlock engine equipped
> > > CPU/motherboard just to take advantage of the hw crypto
> > > acceleration?
> > >
> > > I mean, to do IPSec stuff it's better to use a 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU o
> > > an ATOM one?
> >
> > To do fast IPsec AES, it's better to use core i5 and -current.
>
> Well, thanks for the info but I think I cannot use that kind of
> boxes in this specific environment cause I need fanless boxes.
>
> I've to replace Commell boards so I'm looking for something similar
> (maybe fanless too) with 2/3/4 nics
>
> I remember we chatted about this three/four years ago?
>
> Anyany thanks again for the pointer...
>
> Cheers

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Daniel Ouellet
> Well, thanks for the info but I think I cannot use that kind of
> boxes in this specific environment cause I need fanless boxes.

Well, if you are looking for fan less boxes, I use this one:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm

dmesg is in the archive as well if you want to see it and the box use
~31 watts too. Not bad at all.

I can't say nothing about speed of IPsec with it however, but I would
assume it's not worst then any other that do not have built is crypto
for it. I guess it all depend how badly you need the crypto. You might
be able to add a board just for that is you need it, I can't say, but
just a thought.

Best,

Daniel

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

LeviaComm Networks NOC
On 20-Oct-10 07:33, Daniel Ouellet wrote:

>> Well, thanks for the info but I think I cannot use that kind of
>> boxes in this specific environment cause I need fanless boxes.
>
> Well, if you are looking for fan less boxes, I use this one:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm
>
> dmesg is in the archive as well if you want to see it and the box use
> ~31 watts too. Not bad at all.
>
> I can't say nothing about speed of IPsec with it however, but I would
> assume it's not worst then any other that do not have built is crypto
> for it. I guess it all depend how badly you need the crypto. You might
> be able to add a board just for that is you need it, I can't say, but
> just a thought.
>
> Best,
>
> Daniel

Soekris 5501 + cryptography module.  Fan-less, 4 net, fanless, less than
50 Watts full, runs OpenBSD without issue.

http://www.soekris.com/net5501.htm
http://www.soekris.com/vpn1401.htm

-Christopher Ahrens
  LeviaComm Networks
  Lead UNIX Engineer

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Kevin Chadwick-2
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:45:18 +0200
Massimo Lusetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU o an
> ATOM one?

No idea what the acceleration on this board brings to the party, but if
you do then bare in mind that;

1 atom mhz != 1 traditional i386 mhz

(see atom on wikipedia (varying types) for info)

Maybe that tips the scales in your thought process?

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Chris Smith-32
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:57 PM, LeviaComm Networks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, if you are looking for fan less boxes, I use this one:
>>
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm

I have the newer:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm?typ=E

And it isn't really fan less, although there is some fan speed control
in the BIOS (doesn't look the non-type E is fan less either). The type
E uses a newer smaller system board that allows room for the PCI-e
riser card (included). Haven't measured the power usage under heavy
load yet, but under nominal conditions it has been less than 25 Watts
with 2GB of memory and 40GB SSD.

There's a even newer model as well with the latest faster Atom
processor (same dual-core with 1MB L2 cache but slighter faster at
1.8GHz vs. 1.66GHz) :
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-EHF-D525.cfm

A lot to like - these systems have 2 Intel Gbe NIC's. But what's
really cool is the embedded IPMI 2.0 support providing SOL/IP-KVM,
etc. I think the server (not including memory and drive) costs less
(about 350USD) than adding IP-KVM to a current device.

Chris

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Martin Schröder

Re: It still doable to buy VIA padlock engine CPU?

Massimo Lusetti-3
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:30:31 +0100
Kevin Chadwick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:45:18 +0200
> Massimo Lusetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 1.5GHz VIA C7 CPU o an
> > ATOM one?
>
> No idea what the acceleration on this board brings to the party, but
> if you do then bare in mind that;
>
> 1 atom mhz != 1 traditional i386 mhz
>
> (see atom on wikipedia (varying types) for info)
>
> Maybe that tips the scales in your thought process?

Thanks to you and everyone answering, I'll dig a little more and
hopefully I will do some tests on different boards.

Cheers
--
Massimo