Is there the ability to read and write raw RAM contents?

Is there the ability to read and write raw RAM contents?

Z Ero
I understand this would be a severe security/stability issue in many
cases but for some applications it would be interesting/useful if one
could dd and grep, etc, RAM on a live system. Is there any way to do
this on OpenBSD? Or is program memory space read write access always
protected by the kernel in every instance?

Re: Is there the ability to read and write raw RAM contents?

Solene Rapenne
On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 05:26:54PM -0400, Z Ero wrote:
> I understand this would be a severe security/stability issue in many
> cases but for some applications it would be interesting/useful if one
> could dd and grep, etc, RAM on a live system. Is there any way to do
> this on OpenBSD? Or is program memory space read write access always
> protected by the kernel in every instance?

Using vmm you can save the memory of the VM as a file.

Re: Is there the ability to read and write raw RAM contents?

Otto Moerbeek
On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 05:26:54PM -0400, Z Ero wrote:

> I understand this would be a severe security/stability issue in many
> cases but for some applications it would be interesting/useful if one
> could dd and grep, etc, RAM on a live system. Is there any way to do
> this on OpenBSD? Or is program memory space read write access always
> protected by the kernel in every instance?

There are ways, but with restrictions. Start reading man mem

        -Otto