Is there support for Exynos boards like the odroid xu4?

Is there support for Exynos boards like the odroid xu4?

Myself
I would like to run OpenBSD on an odroid xu4 however it doesn't seem
that any of the arm ports support it specifically.  Would it still be
possible to run it by using a generic Exynos port (assuming that exists)
and adding the boot firmware to the image?

Re: Is there support for Exynos boards like the odroid xu4?

Mark Kettenis
Myself schreef op 2017-10-03 16:00:
> I would like to run OpenBSD on an odroid xu4 however it doesn't seem
> that any of the arm ports support it specifically.  Would it still be
> possible to run it by using a generic Exynos port (assuming that
> exists)
> and adding the boot firmware to the image?

In principle yes.  There is no specific Exynos port; but OpenBSD/armv7
supports the Odroid XU4.  However you'll have to build boot firmware
yourself, as some of the essential components are not redistributable.

You can get the things you need from:

https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot/tree/odroidxu3-v2012.07/sd_fuse/hardkernel_1mb_uboot

The sd_fusing.1M.sh script is Linux-specific, so you'll need to performs
its steps by hand.  And you'll need a recent U-Boot that includes EFI
support.  I believe the ones provided by Hardkernel are from a fork that
is based on a version that is too old.  So you'll need to build it
yourself.

Basically Samsung is evil; they don't allow you to have full control of
the hardware!

Re: Is there support for Exynos boards like the odroid xu4?

Brandon Mercer-3
On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 10:20 AM Mark Kettenis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Myself schreef op 2017-10-03 16:00:
> > I would like to run OpenBSD on an odroid xu4 however it doesn't seem
> > that any of the arm ports support it specifically.  Would it still be
> > possible to run it by using a generic Exynos port (assuming that
> > exists)
> > and adding the boot firmware to the image?
>
> In principle yes.  There is no specific Exynos port; but OpenBSD/armv7
> supports the Odroid XU4.  However you'll have to build boot firmware
> yourself, as some of the essential components are not redistributable.
>
> You can get the things you need from:
>

> https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot/tree/odroidxu3-v2012.07/sd_fuse/hardkernel_1mb_uboot
>
> The sd_fusing.1M.sh script is Linux-specific, so you'll need to performs
> its steps by hand.  And you'll need a recent U-Boot that includes EFI
> support.  I believe the ones provided by Hardkernel are from a fork that
> is based on a version that is too old.  So you'll need to build it
> yourself.
>
> Basically Samsung is evil; they don't allow you to have full control of
> the hardware!

The XU4 does not work on our exynos port. Right now the exynos port targets
a documented platform (5250) but is out of date. The xu4 is an undocumented
platform (5422) that samsung refused to release documentation for (at least
for me). Perhaps that's changed. I have one and have done some work on it,
but that was years ago before samsung refused docs.
Brandon