Is there an easier way to browse ports?

Alfred Morgan
My current workflow looks something like this:

$ cd /usr/ports
$ make print-index | less
I search and scroll through and find something interesting such as
opensonic.
I read the Info: game based on the Sonic the Hedgehog universe
^Z
$ cat games/opensonic/pkg/DESCR # I can't get make describe to work
I read more about it.
I google opensonic for screenshots.
$ pkg_add opensonic
$ opensonic
$ fg

Ideally I would like a graphical ports browser with name, screenshots, and
description that I can scroll and search through. Curation would be nice:
ports suggestions, popular ports, dev team ports picks, etc.

-alfred

Re: Is there an easier way to browse ports?

Mischa Peters
> On 1 Nov 2019, at 12:08, Alfred Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My current workflow looks something like this:
>
> $ cd /usr/ports
> $ make print-index | less
> I search and scroll through and find something interesting such as
> opensonic.
> I read the Info: game based on the Sonic the Hedgehog universe
> ^Z
> $ cat games/opensonic/pkg/DESCR # I can't get make describe to work
> I read more about it.
> I google opensonic for screenshots.
> $ pkg_add opensonic
> $ opensonic
> $ fg
>
> Ideally I would like a graphical ports browser with name, screenshots, and
> description that I can scroll and search through. Curation would be nice:
> ports suggestions, popular ports, dev team ports picks, etc.
>
> -alfred

Have a look at: https://openports.pl <https://openports.pl/>

I think it ticks some of your boxes. :)

Mischa

Re: Is there an easier way to browse ports?

Adam Thompson
On 2019-11-01 06:12, Mischa wrote:

>> On 1 Nov 2019, at 12:08, Alfred Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My current workflow looks something like this:
>>
>> $ cd /usr/ports
>> $ make print-index | less
>> I search and scroll through and find something interesting such as
>> opensonic.
>> I read the Info: game based on the Sonic the Hedgehog universe
>> ^Z
>> $ cat games/opensonic/pkg/DESCR # I can't get make describe to work
>> I read more about it.
>> I google opensonic for screenshots.
>> $ pkg_add opensonic
>> $ opensonic
>> $ fg
>>
>> Ideally I would like a graphical ports browser with name, screenshots,
>> and
>> description that I can scroll and search through. Curation would be
>> nice:
>> ports suggestions, popular ports, dev team ports picks, etc.
>>
>> -alfred
>
> Have a look at: https://openports.pl <https://openports.pl/>
>
> I think it ticks some of your boxes. :)
>
> Mischa

Also http://openports.se/ and http://ports.su/ .

-Adam

Re: Is there an easier way to browse ports?

Anthony J. Bentley-4
Adam Thompson writes:
> openports.se

Generated by scraping, and thus often incomplete. Taking a look, it's
missing many of my recent commits, and even entire ports.

> ports.su

Extremely out of date. "These pages were generated 2018-11-21T13Z"...

Re: Is there an easier way to browse ports?

Marc Espie-2

Don't use those, they don't know how the openbsd ports are named.

Re: Is there an easier way to browse ports?

Adam Thompson
Oh, ok... Do you recall an example offhand?  (I haven't noticed systemic
problems with either, but then I'm hardly a ports expert!)Thanks,-Adam

Ah, there's a good answer to the question I just asked Marc, thanks!-Adam

On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 08:03:54AM -0600, Adam Thompson wrote:
> Oh, ok... Do you recall an example offhand?  (I haven't noticed systemic
> problems with either, but then I'm hardly a ports expert!)
> Thanks,
> -Adam

About anything that's an heavy flavor/pseudo-flavors/multi-packages user.
There's a whole amount of madness involved to parsing it properly (both
dpb and sqlports have some specific code to take care of building proper
equivalence relations and normalizing pkgpaths).

the .pl site is a straight instance of ports-readmes-dancer, which leverages
sqlports and pkglocatedb, and so it's the official data set up in a correct
way.

Re: Is there an easier way to browse ports?

Predrag Punosevac-2
On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 08:03:54AM -0600, Adam Thompson wrote:
> Oh, ok... Do you recall an example offhand?  (I haven't noticed systemic
> problems with either, but then I'm hardly a ports expert!)
> Thanks,
> -Adam

Hi Adam,

Here is a quick example for you