Is it possible to install old packages on new release

Is it possible to install old packages on new release

Igor Zinovik
        Hello, misc readers.
Maybe my question is obvious, but i want to know could one install old packages
on new release? My situation is following: i have OpenBSD_3_8 and a lot of
packages on CD with OPENBSD_3_6. Docs say: "Dont mix OpenBSD system and ports
version, keep system and ports in sync", but it dont say anything about packages.

Re: Is it possible to install old packages on new release

Baskervilles
packages just pre-compiled binaries of ports. so it also need sync with
system

On 9/25/06, Igor Zinovik <[hidden email]> wrote:

>         Hello, misc readers.
> Maybe my question is obvious, but i want to know could one install old
> packages
> on new release? My situation is following: i have OpenBSD_3_8 and a lot of
> packages on CD with OPENBSD_3_6. Docs say: "Dont mix OpenBSD system and
> ports
> version, keep system and ports in sync", but it dont say anything about
> packages.

Re: Is it possible to install old packages on new release

STeve Andre'
On Monday 25 September 2006 00:25, Igor Zinovik wrote:
>         Hello, misc readers.
> Maybe my question is obvious, but i want to know could one install old
> packages on new release? My situation is following: i have OpenBSD_3_8 and
> a lot of packages on CD with OPENBSD_3_6. Docs say: "Dont mix OpenBSD
> system and ports version, keep system and ports in sync", but it dont say
> anything about packages.

You don't want to mix them.  Packages are just compiled ports,

But why would you want to?  3.8 has more and newer versions of
all the ports, so I really can't see why you'd want to carry over
your 3.6 environment.

Also, 3.9 is the current release, with 4.0 just around the corner.
I would definitely use 3.9 instead of 3.8, and would wait and
buy a 4.0 CD set, due out on November 1st.  OpenBSD gets lots
better with each release along with the ports tree.

--STeve Andre'

Re: Is it possible to install old packages on new release

Mike Dalgity
So what does one do if they need a port/package that is available for a
previous release but not the latest release? For example, Mysql 4.0 is a
package for OBSD 3.8 and I'd like to install Mysql 4.x on OBSD 3.9 or soon
to be 4.0 but it seems only Mysql 5.0 is available. What is generally done
in a case such as this?

Thanks,
Mike

packages just pre-compiled binaries of ports. so it also need sync with
system

On 9/25/06, Igor Zinovik <[hidden email]> wrote:

>         Hello, misc readers.
> Maybe my question is obvious, but i want to know could one install old
> packages
> on new release? My situation is following: i have OpenBSD_3_8 and a lot of
> packages on CD with OPENBSD_3_6. Docs say: "Dont mix OpenBSD system and
> ports
> version, keep system and ports in sync", but it dont say anything about
> packages.

Re: Is it possible to install old packages on new release

Sam Chill
On 9/25/06, Mike Dalgity <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So what does one do if they need a port/package that is available for a
> previous release but not the latest release? For example, Mysql 4.0 is a
> package for OBSD 3.8 and I'd like to install Mysql 4.x on OBSD 3.9 or soon
> to be 4.0 but it seems only Mysql 5.0 is available. What is generally done
> in a case such as this?
You could always build MySQL from source and make your own package if
you need a version that is no longer shipped with the current release.
It shouldn't be too hard to do.
-Sam

Re: Is it possible to install old packages on new release

Thomas Leveille
On 9/25/06, Mike Dalgity <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So what does one do if they need a port/package that is available for a
> previous release but not the latest release? For example, Mysql 4.0 is a
> package for OBSD 3.8 and I'd like to install Mysql 4.x on OBSD 3.9 or soon
> to be 4.0 but it seems only Mysql 5.0 is available. What is generally done
> in a case such as this?

You can  find official mysql 4.1 binaries for openbsd at
http://www.mysql.org/downloads/mysql/4.1.html

You can also build mysql from source.

Thomas

On 2006/09/25 08:25, Igor Zinovik wrote:
> Maybe my question is obvious, but i want to know could one install old
> packages on new release? My situation is following: i have OpenBSD_3_8
> and a lot of packages on CD with OPENBSD_3_6.

I've mixed -current and a just-previous release (on zaurus because
of slow compiles and a lot fewer packages built for it on -current).
I didn't have too much trouble, but it's not recommended (and isn't
tested).

You do need to have the old libraries installed - if you no longer
have base36.tgz then don't waste bandwidth downloading it, just fetch
the new tgz for the packages you want instead.

Packages and package-tools have improved beyond recognition since 3.6.

Re: Is it possible to install old packages on new release

Joachim Schipper
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 01:17:45AM -0400, Mike Dalgity wrote:
> So what does one do if they need a port/package that is available for a
> previous release but not the latest release? For example, Mysql 4.0 is a
> package for OBSD 3.8 and I'd like to install Mysql 4.x on OBSD 3.9 or soon
> to be 4.0 but it seems only Mysql 5.0 is available. What is generally done
> in a case such as this?

While it is not supported, there is a directory /usr/ports/mystuff for
this; typically, old ports compile just fine. (Be aware that the library
syntax has changed recently, though - but that won't be a problem on
3.9, and should be obvious from a quick diff anyway.)

                Joachim

Re: Is it possible to install old packages on new release

Ted Unangst-2
On 9/24/06, Igor Zinovik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>        Hello, misc readers.
> Maybe my question is obvious, but i want to know could one install old packages
> on new release? My situation is following: i have OpenBSD_3_8 and a lot of
> packages on CD with OPENBSD_3_6. Docs say: "Dont mix OpenBSD system and ports
> version, keep system and ports in sync", but it dont say anything about packages.

it is possible to do a lot of things.  but "possible to do" and
"tested to work" are very different things.

if this is something you feel the need to try, why not just go ahead and try it?