Is a gmail/text-flow dmesg better than no dmesg?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Is a gmail/text-flow dmesg better than no dmesg?

ropers
It says here <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SendDmesg> that one
should not send dmesg@ mail that's text-flow reformatted (which I
AFAIK gmail always does, unavoidably).

If (for whatever reasons) the choice is between gmail-dmesgs or no
dmesgs, would gmail dmesgs be preferable to none (however unloved
their text-flow shenanigans may be)?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is a gmail/text-flow dmesg better than no dmesg?

Alexey Suslikov
ropers <ropers <at> gmail.com> writes:

> It says here <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SendDmesg> that one
> should not send dmesg <at>  mail that's text-flow reformatted (which I
> AFAIK gmail always does, unavoidably).

it does, but only if you use web/mobile clients. there is no reformat if
you use smtp directly (not compatible with 2-factor auth).

posting to lists using gmane also works.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is a gmail/text-flow dmesg better than no dmesg?

Kamil Cholewiński
> (not compatible with 2-factor auth).

Citation needed? App-specific passwords work.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is a gmail/text-flow dmesg better than no dmesg?

Joel Rees-2
In reply to this post by Alexey Suslikov
On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Alexey Suslikov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> ropers <ropers <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> It says here <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SendDmesg> that one
>> should not send dmesg <at>  mail that's text-flow reformatted (which I
>> AFAIK gmail always does, unavoidably).
>
> it does, but only if you use web/mobile clients. there is no reformat if
> you use smtp directly (not compatible with 2-factor auth).
>
> posting to lists using gmane also works.
>

So, if I redirect a dmesg to a file, open the file with gedit, select
all, copy, and paste into this xombrero window on the gmail web
client, something bad happens to the dmesg text?

Like this:

OpenBSD 5.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #8: Wed Dec 23 22:21:16 JST 2015
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
real mem = 1835790336 (1750MB)
avail mem = 1776087040 (1693MB)
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.8 @ 0xe4800 (43 entries)
bios0: vendor Insyde version "F.0A" date 07/16/2014
bios0: Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion 10 Notebook PC
acpi0 at bios0: rev 2
acpi0: sleep states S0 S3 S4 S5
acpi0: tables DSDT FACP UEFI HPET APIC MCFG ASF! BOOT FPDT MSDM SSDT
SSDT SSDT SSDT SSDT
acpi0: wakeup devices GPP0(S5) GPP1(S4) OHC1(S3) OHC2(S3) OHC3(S3)
EHC1(S3) EHC2(S3) EHC3(S3) XHC0(S4) AWAD(S4)
acpitimer0 at acpi0: 3579545 Hz, 32 bits
acpihpet0 at acpi0: 14318180 Hz
acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
cpu0: AMD A4-1200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 998.25 MHz
cpu0:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUS
H,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,PCLMUL,MWAIT,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPC
NT,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMC
R8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,3DNOWP,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,TOPEXT,ITSC,BMI1
cpu0: 32KB 64b/line 2-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 1MB
64b/line 16-way L2 cache
cpu0: ITLB 32 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu0: DTLB 40 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu0: smt 0, core 0, package 0
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support, 8 var ranges, 88 fixed ranges
cpu0: apic clock running at 99MHz
cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, IBE
cpu1 at mainbus0: apid 1 (application processor)
cpu1: AMD A4-1200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 998.13 MHz
cpu1:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUS
H,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,PCLMUL,MWAIT,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPC
NT,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMC
R8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,3DNOWP,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,TOPEXT,ITSC,BMI1
cpu1: 32KB 64b/line 2-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 1MB
64b/line 16-way L2 cache
cpu1: ITLB 32 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu1: DTLB 40 4KB entries fully associative, 8 4MB entries fully associative
cpu1: smt 0, core 1, package 0
ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 0 pa 0xfec00000, version 21, 24 pins
ioapic1 at mainbus0: apid 5 pa 0xfec01000, version 21, 32 pins
ioapic1: misconfigured as apic 0, remapped to apid 5
acpimcfg0 at acpi0 addr 0xf8000000, bus 0-63
acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
acpiprt1 at acpi0: bus 1 (GPP0)
acpiprt2 at acpi0: bus 5 (GPP1)
acpiprt3 at acpi0: bus -1 (GPP2)
acpiprt4 at acpi0: bus -1 (GPP3)
acpiprt5 at acpi0: bus -1 (GFX_)
acpiec0 at acpi0
acpicpu0 at acpi0: C2(0@400 io@0x414), C1(@1 halt!), PSS
acpicpu1 at acpi0: C2(0@400 io@0x414), C1(@1 halt!), PSS
acpipwrres0 at acpi0: FN00, resource for FAN0
acpitz0 at acpi0: critical temperature is 118 degC
acpibtn0 at acpi0: PWRB
acpiac0 at acpi0: AC unit online
acpibat0 at acpi0: BAT0 model "Primary" serial 43346 03/09/2014 type
LIon oem "Hewlett-Packard"
acpibtn1 at acpi0: LID_
acpivideo0 at acpi0: VGA_
acpivideo1 at acpi0: VGA_
cpu0: 998 MHz: speeds: 1000 900 800 700 600 MHz
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "AMD AMD64 16h Host" rev 0x00
vga1 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 vendor "ATI", unknown product 0x9839 rev 0x00
wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
azalia0 at pci0 dev 1 function 1 "ATI Radeon HD Audio" rev 0x00: msi
azalia0: no supported codecs
pchb1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 vendor "AMD", unknown product 0x1538 rev 0x00
ppb0 at pci0 dev 2 function 2 "AMD AMD64 16h PCIE" rev 0x00: msi
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
rtsx0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "Realtek RTL8402 Card Reader" rev 0x01: msi
sdmmc0 at rtsx0
re0 at pci1 dev 0 function 2 "Realtek 8101E" rev 0x06: RTL8402
(0x4400), msi, address 14:58:d0:06:96:26
rlphy0 at re0 phy 7: RTL8201E 10/100 PHY, rev. 2
ppb1 at pci0 dev 2 function 3 "AMD AMD64 16h PCIE" rev 0x00: msi
pci2 at ppb1 bus 5
"Ralink RT3290" rev 0x00 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 not configured
"Ralink Bluetooth" rev 0x00 at pci2 dev 0 function 1 not configured
xhci0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0 "AMD Bolton xHCI" rev 0x01: msi
usb0 at xhci0: USB revision 3.0
uhub0 at usb0 "AMD xHCI root hub" rev 3.00/1.00 addr 1
ahci0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0 "AMD Hudson-2 SATA" rev 0x00: apic 0
int 19, AHCI 1.3
ahci0: port 0: 6.0Gb/s
scsibus1 at ahci0: 32 targets
sd0 at scsibus1 targ 0 lun 0: <ATA, TOSHIBA MQ01ABF0, AM0P> SCSI3
0/direct fixed naa.50000395a340583a
sd0: 305245MB, 512 bytes/sector, 625142448 sectors
ohci0 at pci0 dev 18 function 0 "AMD Hudson-2 USB" rev 0x39: apic 0
int 18, version 1.0, legacy support
ehci0 at pci0 dev 18 function 2 "AMD Hudson-2 USB2" rev 0x39: apic 0 int 17
usb1 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub1 at usb1 "AMD EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
ohci1 at pci0 dev 19 function 0 "AMD Hudson-2 USB" rev 0x39: apic 0
int 18, version 1.0, legacy support
ehci1 at pci0 dev 19 function 2 "AMD Hudson-2 USB2" rev 0x39: apic 0 int 17
usb2 at ehci1: USB revision 2.0
uhub2 at usb2 "AMD EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
piixpm0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0 "AMD Hudson-2 SMBus" rev 0x3a: polling
iic0 at piixpm0
azalia1 at pci0 dev 20 function 2 "AMD Hudson-2 HD Audio" rev 0x02: msi
azalia1: codecs: Realtek ALC269
audio0 at azalia1
pcib0 at pci0 dev 20 function 3 "AMD Hudson-2 LPC" rev 0x11
sdhc0 at pci0 dev 20 function 7 "AMD Bolton SD/MMC" rev 0x01: apic 0 int 16
sdmmc1 at sdhc0
pchb2 at pci0 dev 24 function 0 "AMD AMD64 16h Link Cfg" rev 0x00
pchb3 at pci0 dev 24 function 1 "AMD AMD64 16h Address Map" rev 0x00
pchb4 at pci0 dev 24 function 2 "AMD AMD64 16h DRAM Cfg" rev 0x00
km0 at pci0 dev 24 function 3 "AMD AMD64 16h Misc Cfg" rev 0x00
pchb5 at pci0 dev 24 function 4 "AMD AMD64 16h CPU Power" rev 0x00
pchb6 at pci0 dev 24 function 5 vendor "AMD", unknown product 0x1535 rev 0x00
usb3 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub3 at usb3 "AMD OHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
usb4 at ohci1: USB revision 1.0
uhub4 at usb4 "AMD OHCI root hub" rev 1.00/1.00 addr 1
isa0 at pcib0
isadma0 at isa0
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5 irq 1 irq 12
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
pms0: Elantech Touchpad, version 3, firmware 0x354f00
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
spkr0 at pcppi0
uvideo0 at uhub1 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "Generic HP
Webcam-50" rev 2.00/5.26 addr 2
video0 at uvideo0
vscsi0 at root
scsibus2 at vscsi0: 256 targets
softraid0 at root
scsibus3 at softraid0: 256 targets
root on sd0a (c910159e72666593.a) swap on sd0b dump on sd0b
umass0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "ZTE,Incorporated
ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM" rev 2.10/f0.8b addr 3
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus4 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
cd0 at scsibus4 targ 1 lun 0: <CWID, USB SCSI CD-ROM, 2.31> SCSI2
5/cdrom removable serial.19d22004A1ZTED000000
cd0 detached
scsibus4 detached
umass0 detached
umass0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "ZTE,Incorporated
ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM" rev 2.10/f0.8b addr 3
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus4 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
cd0 at scsibus4 targ 1 lun 0: <CWID, USB SCSI CD-ROM, 2.31> SCSI2
5/cdrom removable
sd1 at scsibus4 targ 1 lun 1: <ZTE, MMC Storage, 2.31> SCSI2 0/direct
removable
cd0 detached
sd1 detached
scsibus4 detached
umass0 detached
cdce0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "ZTE,Incorporated
ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM" rev 2.10/f0.8b addr 3
cdce0: address 2a:cb:00:c3:27:00
umass0 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 2 "ZTE,Incorporated
ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM" rev 2.10/f0.8b addr 3
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus4 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd1 at scsibus4 targ 1 lun 0: <ZTE, MMC Storage, 2.31> SCSI2 0/direct
removable serial.19d21405A1ZTED000000


--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is a gmail/text-flow dmesg better than no dmesg?

Joel Rees-2
On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 3:19 PM, Joel Rees <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Alexey Suslikov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ropers <ropers <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> It says here <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SendDmesg> that one
>>> should not send dmesg <at>  mail that's text-flow reformatted (which I
>>> AFAIK gmail always does, unavoidably).
>>
>> it does, but only if you use web/mobile clients. there is no reformat if
>> you use smtp directly (not compatible with 2-factor auth).
>>
>> posting to lists using gmane also works.
>>
>
> So, if I redirect a dmesg to a file, open the file with gedit, select
> all, copy, and paste into this xombrero window on the gmail web
> client, something bad happens to the dmesg text?
>
> Like this:
>
> OpenBSD 5.9-beta (GENERIC.MP) #8: Wed Dec 23 22:21:16 JST 2015
>     [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
> real mem = 1835790336 (1750MB)
> avail mem = 1776087040 (1693MB)
> mpath0 at root
> scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
> mainbus0 at root
> bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.8 @ 0xe4800 (43 entries)
> bios0: vendor Insyde version "F.0A" date 07/16/2014
> bios0: Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion 10 Notebook PC
> acpi0 at bios0: rev 2
> acpi0: sleep states S0 S3 S4 S5
> acpi0: tables DSDT FACP UEFI HPET APIC MCFG ASF! BOOT FPDT MSDM SSDT
> SSDT SSDT SSDT SSDT

Okay, that's a wrap that shouldn't be there.

> acpi0: wakeup devices GPP0(S5) GPP1(S4) OHC1(S3) OHC2(S3) OHC3(S3)
> EHC1(S3) EHC2(S3) EHC3(S3) XHC0(S4) AWAD(S4)
> acpitimer0 at acpi0: 3579545 Hz, 32 bits
> acpihpet0 at acpi0: 14318180 Hz
> acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
> cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
> cpu0: AMD A4-1200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 998.25 MHz
> cpu0:
FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUS
H,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,PCLMUL,MWAIT,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPC
NT,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMC
R8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,3DNOWP,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,TOPEXT,ITSC,BMI1

I guess this line made it because there's no space in the line. I'd
seen that before and thought it was safe.

> [...]

Okay, so dmesg should be sent by mutt or sylpheed, et, al., if we're
having trouble getting the default mail client to connect to the
outside world.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is a gmail/text-flow dmesg better than no dmesg?

Erling Westenvik-2
In reply to this post by ropers
On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 07:09:58PM +0100, ropers wrote:
> It says here <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SendDmesg> that one
> should not send dmesg@ mail that's text-flow reformatted (which I
> AFAIK gmail always does, unavoidably).
>
> If (for whatever reasons) the choice is between gmail-dmesgs or no
> dmesgs, would gmail dmesgs be preferable to none (however unloved
> their text-flow shenanigans may be)?

Wouldn't a simple one-liner like this do the trick?

$ dmesg | mail -s "some subject" [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is a gmail/text-flow dmesg better than no dmesg?

Stuart Henderson
In reply to this post by ropers
On 2015-12-30, ropers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It says here <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SendDmesg> that one
> should not send dmesg@ mail that's text-flow reformatted (which I
> AFAIK gmail always does, unavoidably).
>
> If (for whatever reasons) the choice is between gmail-dmesgs or no
> dmesgs, would gmail dmesgs be preferable to none (however unloved
> their text-flow shenanigans may be)?

The most important things are:

- not base64-encoded. dmesgs sent b64-encoded are totally useless.
- not html. hard to read in dmesglog and 'grep ^devicename' won't find your devices.

Other than that, try hard to avoid quoted-printable. Line-wrapped is best
avoided if possible but not quite so bad.

If you have a 'clean' MUA somewhere, using a command-line pastebin is
a fairly easy way of getting a dmesg there (e.g. sprunge.us, clbin,
pbot.rmdir.de etc), several of these work via a form post which can be
done as a pipe through curl.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is a gmail/text-flow dmesg better than no dmesg?

ropers
In reply to this post by Erling Westenvik-2
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 07:09:58PM +0100, ropers wrote:
>> It says here <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SendDmesg> that one
>> should not send dmesg@ mail that's text-flow reformatted (which I
>> AFAIK gmail always does, unavoidably).
>>
>> If (for whatever reasons) the choice is between gmail-dmesgs or no
>> dmesgs, would gmail dmesgs be preferable to none (however unloved
>> their text-flow shenanigans may be)?

On 31 December 2015 at 12:55, Erling Westenvik wrote:
> Wouldn't a simple one-liner like this do the trick?
>
> $ dmesg | mail -s "some subject" [hidden email]

Q: If all I have is a green herring, would eating that be better than nothing?
A: You should eat a red herring.

(SCNR. ;-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is a gmail/text-flow dmesg better than no dmesg?

Erling Westenvik-2
On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 04:00:50PM +0100, ropers wrote:

> > On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 07:09:58PM +0100, ropers wrote:
> >> It says here <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SendDmesg> that one
> >> should not send dmesg@ mail that's text-flow reformatted (which I
> >> AFAIK gmail always does, unavoidably).
> >>
> >> If (for whatever reasons) the choice is between gmail-dmesgs or no
> >> dmesgs, would gmail dmesgs be preferable to none (however unloved
> >> their text-flow shenanigans may be)?
>
> On 31 December 2015 at 12:55, Erling Westenvik wrote:
> > Wouldn't a simple one-liner like this do the trick?
> >
> > $ dmesg | mail -s "some subject" [hidden email]
>
> Q: If all I have is a green herring, would eating that be better than nothing?
> A: You should eat a red herring.
>
> (SCNR. ;-)

Guess I deserved that one. To my defence: I was simply incapable of
imagine a scenario where Gmail would be the only option for sending a
dmesg somewhere.

But – A Happy New Year to you and everyone on the list!

Regards

Erling

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is a gmail/text-flow dmesg better than no dmesg?

ropers
Cheers man. All the best to you too -- and to everybody else around.

On 1 January 2016 at 01:18, Erling Westenvik <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 04:00:50PM +0100, ropers wrote:
>> > On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 07:09:58PM +0100, ropers wrote:
>> >> It says here <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#SendDmesg> that one
>> >> should not send dmesg@ mail that's text-flow reformatted (which I
>> >> AFAIK gmail always does, unavoidably).
>> >>
>> >> If (for whatever reasons) the choice is between gmail-dmesgs or no
>> >> dmesgs, would gmail dmesgs be preferable to none (however unloved
>> >> their text-flow shenanigans may be)?
>>
>> On 31 December 2015 at 12:55, Erling Westenvik wrote:
>> > Wouldn't a simple one-liner like this do the trick?
>> >
>> > $ dmesg | mail -s "some subject" [hidden email]
>>
>> Q: If all I have is a green herring, would eating that be better than
nothing?

>> A: You should eat a red herring.
>>
>> (SCNR. ;-)
>
> Guess I deserved that one. To my defence: I was simply incapable of
> imagine a scenario where Gmail would be the only option for sending a
> dmesg somewhere.
>
> But – A Happy New Year to you and everyone on the list!
>
> Regards
>
> Erling