Introducing pf-badhost and unbound-adblock

Introducing pf-badhost and unbound-adblock

Jordan Geoghegan
Hi everyone,

I thought I would share a couple scripts I wrote to block ads and bad
hosts. I have found them to increase web-browsing speed and reduce
battery consumption, especially on mobile devices. They also help reduce
pop ups and fake sites, especially on mobile/in apps.

I have also found pf-badhost to reduce noise in my httpd/ssh auth logs.
I used to get over 10,000 ssh attempts per day on my router, now I
usually get less than 100 a day. Another added benefit of pf-badhost is
that it blocks Shodan scans, which may appeal to some.

I shared a similar script on misc@ earlier this year and received
positive feedback, so I thought I would clean up the scripts and write a
how-to guide.

Enjoy!

https:/www.geoghegan.ca

https://www.geoghegan.ca/pfbadhost.html

https://www.geoghegan.ca/unbound-adblock.html

Re: Introducing pf-badhost and unbound-adblock

quisquous

Very nice, thank you for sharing and for the nicely written guides.

On 08/06/18 10:24, Scott Bonds wrote:

> On 08/05, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I thought I would share a couple scripts I wrote to block ads and bad
>> hosts. I have found them to increase web-browsing speed and reduce
>> battery consumption, especially on mobile devices. They also help
>> reduce pop ups and fake sites, especially on mobile/in apps.
>>
>> I have also found pf-badhost to reduce noise in my httpd/ssh auth
>> logs. I used to get over 10,000 ssh attempts per day on my router,
>> now I usually get less than 100 a day. Another added benefit of
>> pf-badhost is that it blocks Shodan scans, which may appeal to some.
>>
>> I shared a similar script on misc@ earlier this year and received
>> positive feedback, so I thought I would clean up the scripts and
>> write a how-to guide.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> https:/www.geoghegan.ca
>>
>> https://www.geoghegan.ca/pfbadhost.html
>>
>> https://www.geoghegan.ca/unbound-adblock.html
>>

> Very nice, thank you for sharing and for the nicely written guides.
Thanks Scott!
  I plan to update pf-badhost to also support geoblocking by country /
region in the near future. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Jordan

Re: Introducing pf-badhost and unbound-adblock

Ales Tepina
On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 04:52:04PM -0700, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:

> On 08/06/18 10:24, Scott Bonds wrote:
> > On 08/05, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I thought I would share a couple scripts I wrote to block ads and
> > > bad hosts. I have found them to increase web-browsing speed and
> > > reduce battery consumption, especially on mobile devices. They also
> > > help reduce pop ups and fake sites, especially on mobile/in apps.
> > >
> > > I have also found pf-badhost to reduce noise in my httpd/ssh auth
> > > logs. I used to get over 10,000 ssh attempts per day on my router,
> > > now I usually get less than 100 a day. Another added benefit of
> > > pf-badhost is that it blocks Shodan scans, which may appeal to some.
> > >
> > > I shared a similar script on misc@ earlier this year and received
> > > positive feedback, so I thought I would clean up the scripts and
> > > write a how-to guide.
> > >
> > > Enjoy!
> > >
> > > https:/www.geoghegan.ca
> > >
> > > https://www.geoghegan.ca/pfbadhost.html
> > >
> > > https://www.geoghegan.ca/unbound-adblock.html
> > >

> > Very nice, thank you for sharing and for the nicely written guides.
> Thanks Scott!
>  I plan to update pf-badhost to also support geoblocking by country / region
> in the near future. Stay tuned.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jordan

Jordan, hi!

Any news/progress on the geoblocking by country part? Looking forward to it.

Regards, Ales

Re: Introducing pf-badhost and unbound-adblock

Johan
On 2019-02-05 14:03, Ales Tepina wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 04:52:04PM -0700, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:

>> > Very nice, thank you for sharing and for the nicely written guides.
>> Thanks Scott!
>>  I plan to update pf-badhost to also support geoblocking by country /
>> region
>> in the near future. Stay tuned.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jordan
>>

> Jordan, hi!
>
> Any news/progress on the geoblocking by country part? Looking forward
> to it.
>
> Regards, Ales

Hi
I wrote a shell script that uses source addresses from ipdeny.com:

https://github.com/elasmo/misc-scripts/blob/master/geoipblock.sh

Regards
Johan

Re: Introducing pf-badhost and unbound-adblock

Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD"

Just FYI!

I develop a similar project, host on:
https://framagit.org/DenyLabels/BlockZones

And the lists are availables, day after day, on my webserver:
https://stephane-huc.net/share/BlockZones/lists/
(just download the correct list and use it either with PF, with
unbound or hosts...)

And a cron example file:
https://framagit.org/DenyLabels/BlockZones/blob/dev/cron/monthly.local

On 2/5/19 2:47 PM, Johan wrote:

> On 2019-02-05 14:03, Ales Tepina wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 04:52:04PM -0700, Jordan Geoghegan
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks Scott! I plan to update pf-badhost to also support
>>> geoblocking by country / region in the near future. Stay
>>> tuned.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Jordan
>>>

>> Jordan, hi!
>>
>> Any news/progress on the geoblocking by country part? Looking
>> forward to it.
>>
>> Regards, Ales
>
> Hi I wrote a shell script that uses source addresses from
> ipdeny.com:
>
> https://github.com/elasmo/misc-scripts/blob/master/geoipblock.sh
>
> Regards Johan

- --
~ " Fully Basic System Distinguish Life! " ~ " Libre as a BSD " +=<<<
- ----
<me>Stephane HUC as PengouinBSD or CIOTBSD</me>
<mail>[hidden email]</mail>