Interesting ps -ax listing

dfeustel
While running kde 3.4.2 on OpenBSD 3.8, upon logging out from my normal user
id and then logging back in with a new user id and executing ps -ax, I found
an instance of kde kicker running before I had invoked startkde as the new
user. I was not able to delete the process using kill -9, so I  logged out,
logged back in under the previous user name and then was able to delete the
kicker task using kill -9. My understanding is that all user processes (eg,
kde processes) are terminated when the user logs out. Is that correct?
Any ideas as to how the user process survived the logout?

Thanks,
Dave Feustel

Re: Interesting ps -ax listing

Otto Moerbeek
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Dave Feustel wrote:

> While running kde 3.4.2 on OpenBSD 3.8, upon logging out from my normal user
> id and then logging back in with a new user id and executing ps -ax, I found
> an instance of kde kicker running before I had invoked startkde as the new
> user. I was not able to delete the process using kill -9, so I  logged out,
> logged back in under the previous user name and then was able to delete the
> kicker task using kill -9. My understanding is that all user processes (eg,
> kde processes) are terminated when the user logs out. Is that correct?
> Any ideas as to how the user process survived the logout?

If a process detaches from the terminal, it will survive. Another way
is using nohup(1).

If kde leaves processes hanging around, it looks like a bug in kde.

        -Otto

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 07:05, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Dave Feustel wrote:
> > While running kde 3.4.2 on OpenBSD 3.8, upon logging out from my normal
> > user id and then logging back in with a new user id and executing ps -ax,
> > I found an instance of kde kicker running before I had invoked startkde
> > as the new user. I was not able to delete the process using kill -9, so I
> >  logged out, logged back in under the previous user name and then was
> > able to delete the kicker task using kill -9. My understanding is that
> > all user processes (eg, kde processes) are terminated when the user logs
> > out. Is that correct? Any ideas as to how the user process survived the
> > logout?
>
> If a process detaches from the terminal, it will survive. Another way
> is using nohup(1).
>
> If kde leaves processes hanging around, it looks like a bug in kde.
>
> -Otto

That's pretty much what I thought.
Can these calls be blocked using systrace?