Intel Edison

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Intel Edison

Gareth Nelson
Hi all

I'm thinking of building a project (for those curious, it's an implant -
see biohack.me for info on this kind of stuff) on top of the Intel Edison
and was curious if OpenBSD would work on it with full bluetooth+wifi
support.

Failing that, if anyone knows of a similar device that is of similar
physical size and specs i'd appreciate it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

Peter Hessler
OpenBSD doesn't support bluetooth on any hardware.


On 2015 Aug 27 (Thu) at 07:59:22 +0100 (+0100), Gareth Nelson wrote:
:Hi all
:
:I'm thinking of building a project (for those curious, it's an implant -
:see biohack.me for info on this kind of stuff) on top of the Intel Edison
:and was curious if OpenBSD would work on it with full bluetooth+wifi
:support.
:
:Failing that, if anyone knows of a similar device that is of similar
:physical size and specs i'd appreciate it.
:

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

Alexander Hall
In reply to this post by Gareth Nelson
We don't have any Bluetooth support.

/Alexander

On August 27, 2015 8:59:22 AM GMT+02:00, Gareth Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I'm thinking of building a project (for those curious, it's an implant
>-
>see biohack.me for info on this kind of stuff) on top of the Intel
>Edison
>and was curious if OpenBSD would work on it with full bluetooth+wifi
>support.
>
>Failing that, if anyone knows of a similar device that is of similar
>physical size and specs i'd appreciate it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

Gareth Nelson
doh!

I suppose I could add a small serial console via Xbee or something in an
external device.

So the question now becomes the same, but without bluetooth.


On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Alexander Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We don't have any Bluetooth support.
>
> /Alexander
>
> On August 27, 2015 8:59:22 AM GMT+02:00, Gareth Nelson <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm thinking of building a project (for those curious, it's an implant -
>> see biohack.me for info on this kind of stuff) on top of the Intel Edison
>> and was curious if OpenBSD would work on it with full bluetooth+wifi
>> support.
>>
>> Failing that, if anyone knows of a similar device that is of similar
>> physical size and specs i'd appreciate it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

Stefan Sperling-5
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 08:42:41AM +0100, Gareth Nelson wrote:
> So the question now becomes the same, but without bluetooth.

You don't happen to have any link for us to detailed HW specs?
Or a Linux dmesg?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

Gareth Nelson
Unfortunately I haven't got the device in hand yet, still researching
alternatives, here's a datasheet:
http://akizukidenshi.com/download/ds/intel/edison-module_HG_331189-002.pdf

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 08:42:41AM +0100, Gareth Nelson wrote:
> > So the question now becomes the same, but without bluetooth.
>
> You don't happen to have any link for us to detailed HW specs?
> Or a Linux dmesg?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

Gareth Nelson
Wifi chipset info here:
http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/EdisonDatasheet.pdf

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Gareth Nelson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Unfortunately I haven't got the device in hand yet, still researching
> alternatives, here's a datasheet:
> http://akizukidenshi.com/download/ds/intel/edison-module_HG_331189-002.pdf
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 08:42:41AM +0100, Gareth Nelson wrote:
>> > So the question now becomes the same, but without bluetooth.
>>
>> You don't happen to have any link for us to detailed HW specs?
>> Or a Linux dmesg?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

Stefan Sperling-5
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 09:43:44AM +0100, Gareth Nelson wrote:
> Wifi chipset info here:
> http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/EdisonDatasheet.pdf

wifi is Broadcom BCM43340 which is not supported.
Linux supports it via the brcmfmac driver.

Furthermore, this chip is on an SDIO bus. There is some support
for SDIO but I don't expect it is fit enough for use with wifi.
I believe SDIO was only really used on zaurus devices so far.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

quartz-2
In reply to this post by Peter Hessler
> OpenBSD doesn't support bluetooth on any hardware.

Does that also include usb->bluetooth dongles for wireless keyboards?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

Peter Hessler
On 2015 Aug 27 (Thu) at 10:16:31 -0400 (-0400), Quartz wrote:
:>OpenBSD doesn't support bluetooth on any hardware.
:
:Does that also include usb->bluetooth dongles for wireless keyboards?
:

That includes all forms of bluetooth where it is presented to the OS.

If it fakes a keyboard, and shows up as a ukbd, then that driver will
be used.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

ludovic coues
In reply to this post by quartz-2
2015-08-27 16:16 GMT+02:00 Quartz <[hidden email]>:
>> OpenBSD doesn't support bluetooth on any hardware.
>
>
> Does that also include usb->bluetooth dongles for wireless keyboards?
>

Dongle for wireless device doesn't work that way.
The dongle pretend to be the device and take care of all the communication.
From the OS point of view, using a wired usb keyboard or a wireless
keyboard using a dongle is the same thing.

Also, bluetooth keyboard doesn't provide dongle.

--

Cordialement, Coues Ludovic
+336 148 743 42

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

Eike Lantzsch
In reply to this post by quartz-2
On Thursday 27 August 2015 10:16:31 Quartz wrote:
> > OpenBSD doesn't support bluetooth on any hardware.
>
> Does that also include usb->bluetooth dongles for wireless keyboards?

I'm using Logitech K520 wireless keyboard and M310 mouse with OpenBSD, but
that is not Bluetooth. See Peter Hessler's comment.

Cheers
Eike

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Intel Edison

quartz-2
In reply to this post by ludovic coues
> Dongle for wireless device doesn't work that way.
> The dongle pretend to be the device and take care of all the communication.
>> From the OS point of view, using a wired usb keyboard or a wireless
> keyboard using a dongle is the same thing.
>
> Also, bluetooth keyboard doesn't provide dongle.

I wasn't referring to one of those RF-dongles from Logitech, but a usb
gizmo that specifically creates a bluetooth 'network' that actual real
bluetooth devices can connect to, for example
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q45EF4

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bluetooth keyboard [was:Re: Intel Edison]

quartz-2
In reply to this post by Peter Hessler
> :>OpenBSD doesn't support bluetooth on any hardware.
> :
> :Does that also include usb->bluetooth dongles for wireless keyboards?
> :
>
> That includes all forms of bluetooth where it is presented to the OS.
>
> If it fakes a keyboard, and shows up as a ukbd, then that driver will
> be used.

Well I guess that was my question, perhaps worded badly.

Basically, let's say I buy a bluetooth keyboard. Let's say it's a fancy
model and is nice enough to come with a generic usb->bluetooth
nub/dongle thingy I can plug in if my computer doesn't already have
bluetooth capabilities. I plug it in. Does the keyboard then present to
the OS as a raw keyboard, or does it present as some kind of special
bluetooth device?  I don't know what level of hardware abstraction is
being used here.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bluetooth keyboard [was:Re: Intel Edison]

Stefan Sperling-5
On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 05:51:39AM -0400, Quartz wrote:
> Basically, let's say I buy a bluetooth keyboard. Let's say it's a fancy
> model and is nice enough to come with a generic usb->bluetooth nub/dongle
> thingy I can plug in if my computer doesn't already have bluetooth
> capabilities. I plug it in. Does the keyboard then present to the OS as a
> raw keyboard, or does it present as some kind of special bluetooth device?
> I don't know what level of hardware abstraction is being used here.

If the dongle handles all of bluetooth by itself and presents a USB
keyboard device to the host OS, then OpenBSD will see a USB keyboard
it can use.

If the dongle is just a bluetooth radio and expects the host to take care of
parts of bluetooth (device peering etc), then OpenBSD can't use the keyboard.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bluetooth keyboard [was:Re: Intel Edison]

David  Dahlberg
In reply to this post by quartz-2
Am Freitag, den 28.08.2015, 05:51 -0400 schrieb Quartz:

> Basically, let's say I buy a bluetooth keyboard. Let's say it's a
> fancy
> model and is nice enough to come with a generic usb->bluetooth
> nub/dongle thingy I can plug in if my computer doesn't already have
> bluetooth capabilities. I plug it in. Does the keyboard then present
> to
> the OS as a raw keyboard, or does it present as some kind of special
> bluetooth device?

That depends on the vendor/on the concrete device. I have seen both
cases: That it presets itself (in my case) as a usb mouse, or as a bluet
ooth dongle and bluetooth mouse.


--
David Dahlberg    

Fraunhofer FKIE, Dept. Communication Systems (KOM) | Tel: +49-228-9435-845
Fraunhoferstr. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany        | Fax: +49-228-856277

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bluetooth keyboard [was:Re: Intel Edison]

quartz-2
In reply to this post by Stefan Sperling-5
> If the dongle is just a bluetooth radio and expects the host to take care of
> parts of bluetooth (device peering etc), then OpenBSD can't use the keyboard.

OK, I think that answers it for me then. Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bluetooth keyboard [was:Re: Intel Edison]

quartz-2
Just out of curiosity, are there any plans to support bluetooth at some
point in the future?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bluetooth keyboard [was:Re: Intel Edison]

ludovic coues
2015-08-28 12:32 GMT+02:00 Quartz <[hidden email]>:
> Just out of curiosity, are there any plans to support bluetooth at some
> point in the future?
>

From what I heard, there was some support in the past. But people
stopped to update the code, it rotted with time and it was removed.
So I assume that bluetooth might be supported again if someone show
enough interest in doing so.

--

Cordialement, Coues Ludovic
+336 148 743 42

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: bluetooth keyboard [was:Re: Intel Edison]

Peter Hessler
In reply to this post by quartz-2
On 2015 Aug 28 (Fri) at 06:32:54 -0400 (-0400), Quartz wrote:
:Just out of curiosity, are there any plans to support bluetooth at some point
:in the future?
:

There needs to be interest from a developer who can write a not-crappy
bluetooth stack.

Odds are fairly low right now.

12