Instant Messenger client

Stuart VanZee
Does anyone know of a good, easy-to-use client
for Yahoo instant messenger in the ports tree.
I do an internet radio show (definitely not
OpenBSD topical) and I need one that an intern
can use on my spare laptop to interface with
listeners etc.  The laptop will be running
OpenBSD 4.1 w/X and he will also be using
firefox to check Yahoo email.

please note, our intern is STUPID so he needs
something fairly easy to use.

Stuart van Zee
[hidden email]
Ya can't fix stupid

Re: Instant Messenger client

michael enoma aghayere
On 30/05/07, stuart van Zee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good, easy-to-use client
> for Yahoo instant messenger in the ports tree.
> I do an internet radio show (definitely not
> OpenBSD topical) and I need one that an intern
> can use on my spare laptop to interface with
> listeners etc.  The laptop will be running
> OpenBSD 4.1 w/X and he will also be using
> firefox to check Yahoo email.
>
> please note, our intern is STUPID so he needs
> something fairly easy to use.
Gaim?
It's compatible with AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo, IRC, Jabber,
Gadu-Gadu, Novell GroupWise, and Zephyr networks.
And simple enough to use.

--
~michael
www.bsdqed.com

Re: Instant Messenger client

Stuart VanZee
Thank you to everyone that replied.
I knew someone here would have the
perfect answer.  I overlooked gaim because it
has "aim" in the title and thought it would
be an AOL client.  Needless to say, I do little
to no instant messaging myself or I would have
already had an instant messenger.

Re: Instant Messenger client

Jason Beaudoin
<snip>

> Gaim?
> It's compatible with AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo, IRC, Jabber,
> Gadu-Gadu, Novell GroupWise, and Zephyr networks.
> And simple enough to use.

Note that as of gaim's 2.0 release, the project has been renamed to "pidgin"
I've been using it in linux for quite some time now with no problems,
but I am not sure how it runs on openbsd (though I'd expect no
issues).

~Jason

Re: Instant Messenger client

Diana Eichert
If you're running a recent post 4.1 install there is also net/pidgin, a
port for it was added to the tree on May 28th.

diana

Re: Instant Messenger client

Clint Pachl
stuart van Zee wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good, easy-to-use client
> for Yahoo instant messenger in the ports tree.

Alternatively, you could use a web app. Meebo.com is a very cool web
interface to ICQ, Jabber, AOL, Yahoo, Google, and Microsoft IMs. I've
used Gtalk via meebo.com on Mozilla Seamonkey without flash or java
enabled (I believe it is mostly javascript/AJAX with limited
server-side) and it worked surprisingly well.

> I do an internet radio show (definitely not
> OpenBSD topical) and I need one that an intern
> can use on my spare laptop to interface with
> listeners etc.  The laptop will be running
> OpenBSD 4.1 w/X and he will also be using
> firefox to check Yahoo email.
>
> please note, our intern is STUPID so he needs
> something fairly easy to use.
>
> Stuart van Zee
> [hidden email]
> Ya can't fix stupid

Re: Instant Messenger client

L. V. Lammert
On Wed, 30 May 2007, Diana Eichert wrote:

> If you're running a recent post 4.1 install there is also net/pidgin, a
> port for it was added to the tree on May 28th.
>
> diana

FYI, I was just looking for GAIM on another machine and it seems to have
been *replaced* by Pidgin.

        Lee

Re: Instant Messenger client

Rafael Almeida
On 5/30/07, stuart van Zee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good, easy-to-use client
> for Yahoo instant messenger in the ports tree.
> I do an internet radio show (definitely not
> OpenBSD topical) and I need one that an intern
> can use on my spare laptop to interface with
> listeners etc.  The laptop will be running
> OpenBSD 4.1 w/X and he will also be using
> firefox to check Yahoo email.
>
> please note, our intern is STUPID so he needs
> something fairly easy to use.

People have told you about gaim (pidgin), which is great, and it's the
one I use, but there are other options, like Kopete and centericq.

PS: it's not very polite of you calling your intern stupid.

Re: Instant Messenger client

Daniel Ouellet
Rafael Almeida wrote:
> PS: it's not very polite of you calling your intern stupid.

That is sure true, but see, if the radio show can get by with what they
call STUPID intern that are use to interface with listeners, may be that
also tell you about the show itself and/or it's listeners may be. (;>

But you are 100% right, sure is not nice.

Re: Instant Messenger client

Joost-4

Kopete's yahoo support on OpenBSD is broken, so that's not an option.

Re: Instant Messenger client

Stuart VanZee

Yes, I see your point, and usually I am a much more polite person
but in this case it's an internet radio show and he's the one that
signed up to be the character "The Intard", after a while it just
kinda becomes habit to be rude to him.  Sorry if I offended anyone.