Installing to RPi3B+ from Linux

Luis P. Mendes-6
Hi,

I'd like to have OpenBSD on one of my Raspberry Pi 3B+ boards, but,
currently, I have no physical x86_64 OpenBSD installations.

I've read instructions under the title "Preparing your System for
OpenBSD Installation" of the INSTALL.arm64 file, but they're a bit
vague for my problem and level of knowledge.

In the Linux box, I've created a MBR partition in the SD card, made it
OpenBSD type (a6) with cfdisk, did the `dd if=miniroot65.fs
of=/dev/sdf1 bs=1M`.
Did this to `sdf1`, not to a OpenBSD slice `rsd1c`.

Can this be done from Linux or do I need to have a physical OpenBSD
installation, or a virtual machine with a pass-through for the
installation to work?
If the former, I'd appreciate some more detailed instructions.

Thanks.

Luis Mendes

Re: Installing to RPi3B+ from Linux

Nasuga
The INSTALL.arm64 instructions
<https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.5/arm64/INSTALL.arm64> mentions
writing a miniroot, opening the boot partition and adding board specific
DTB files if your board isn't bootable with stock miniroot. As far as I
know, the boot partition (/dev/sdXi) is MSDOS/Fat32 and should be
mountable and writeable on GNU/Linux.

I don't have an RPi3 so I cannot test my instructions thoroughly but
from what I understand, the RPi 3's DTB files are default and already
present in ARM64's miniroot65.fs
<https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.5/arm64/miniroot65.fs> so you
shouldn't need to do much more than write the miniroot65.fs to an SD
card and boot it. If it doesn't boot, make sure you're using ARM64
miniroot65.fs and not AMD64 miniroot65.fs.

SHA256 (miniroot65.fs) =
329ab164b6ad1b2fdd7bb596f5b5e68f07445c26e37f169f0dd7c12b4cb50794  <https://openbsd.cs.toronto.edu/pub/OpenBSD/6.5/arm64/SHA256.sig>

A quick google search revealed an Undeadly article about booting OpenBSD
on RPi 3 and its limitations
<https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20170409123528>, it may be
of interest to you.

Happy Hacking

On 2019/05/05 10:59, Luis P. Mendes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have OpenBSD on one of my Raspberry Pi 3B+ boards, but,
> currently, I have no physical x86_64 OpenBSD installations.
>
> I've read instructions under the title "Preparing your System for
> OpenBSD Installation" of the INSTALL.arm64 file, but they're a bit
> vague for my problem and level of knowledge.
>
> In the Linux box, I've created a MBR partition in the SD card, made it
> OpenBSD type (a6) with cfdisk, did the `dd if=miniroot65.fs
> of=/dev/sdf1 bs=1M`.
> Did this to `sdf1`, not to a OpenBSD slice `rsd1c`.

The .fs image should be dd'd onto whatever is the "whole SD card"
type device rather than any particular partition (it includes the
partition table etc).

> Can this be done from Linux or do I need to have a physical OpenBSD
> installation, or a virtual machine with a pass-through for the
> installation to work?
> If the former, I'd appreciate some more detailed instructions.

You should be able to write an image from pretty much any OS.

However there are things to be aware of.

This isn't a great platform for someone new to OpenBSD, it may be a
good idea to get more experience with OpenBSD/amd64 first e.g. on a VM.

The SD interface isn't supported in OpenBSD on any of the Raspberry Pi 3
variants yet (you can use it for booting and installing from, but will
then need USB storage to hold the actual OS) - I'm not 100% sure but I
think it's still the case that the onboard ethernet won't work on the
B+ (different chip than the original rpi3) - and the onboard wifi is
attached to SD so that won't work either. So unless that has been fixed
fairly recently you'll most likely need a supported USB network device
of some sort.

Also it's possible that it's still serial console only.