Installing openbsd on emac without disk drive?

Installing openbsd on emac without disk drive?

Lucas
I recently got my hands on a 1.42GHZ Emac with a faulty disk drive, is it possible to use a usb or firewire external disk drive to install OpenBSD and if not is there another way to install OpenBSD on my Emac?

Thanks.

Re: Installing openbsd on emac without disk drive?

Rino Rondan
Lucas, which model do you have? You can install with usb , I did it , you can start looking https://www.openbsd.org/macppc.html, in the part of installation you have the ways to do it . You need to use  some command in openfirmware to but the usb drive. Also you can prepare de image in the disk drive too.

Regards

Rino
On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 6:46 AM, Lucas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently got my hands on a 1.42GHZ Emac with a faulty disk drive, is it possible to use a usb or firewire external disk drive to install OpenBSD and if not is there another way to install OpenBSD on my Emac?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Installing openbsd on emac without disk drive?

Daniel Boyd-2
Booting via USB isn’t officially supported, so your mileage may vary. I never could get it working on my G4 Cube (which has a dead CD drive). I ended up doing TFTP/NFS network booting which is officially supported.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 26, 2018, at 5:16 AM, Rino Rondan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Lucas, which model do you have? You can install with usb , I did it , you can start looking https://www.openbsd.org/macppc.html, in the part of installation you have the ways to do it . You need to use  some command in openfirmware to but the usb drive. Also you can prepare de image in the disk drive too.
>
> Regards
>
> —
> Rino
>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 6:46 AM, Lucas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I recently got my hands on a 1.42GHZ Emac with a faulty disk drive, is it possible to use a usb or firewire external disk drive to install OpenBSD and if not is there another way to install OpenBSD on my Emac?
>>
>> Thanks.

Re: Installing openbsd on emac without disk drive?

Rino Rondan
Yes, the link https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.3/macppc/INSTALL.macppc did not said nothing about usb, but you can make dd of cd iso and use usb disk like a disk with openfirmware

boot ide1:,ofwboot /bsd (example) at least work me in Ibook,powerbook,Macmini,Imac without any problem, you can use the printenv variable of usb disk, or you can search with ls the device tree and put the name of usb disk instead the printenv variable. I never try with Gcube..

Regards
---
Rino

publickey - rrondan@itrestauracion.com.ar - 0x2D1B9A57.asc (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Installing openbsd on emac without disk drive?

Daniel Boyd-2
I followed that guide and it did not work on my computer. OF wouldn’t recognize the thumb drive as a bootable medium — and I tried a bunch of different drives. That said, it’s certainly worth giving it a shot because it’s a lot simpler than TFTP/NFS. But after talking to some devs, it seems their experience was like mine: USB booting works on some Macs, but not others, hence the lack of official support.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 26, 2018, at 7:10 AM, Rino Rondan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, the link https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.3/macppc/INSTALL.macppc did not said nothing about usb, but you can make dd of cd iso and use usb disk like a disk with openfirmware
>
> boot ide1:,ofwboot /bsd (example) at least work me in Ibook,powerbook,Macmini,Imac without any problem, you can use the printenv variable of usb disk, or you can search with ls the device tree and put the name of usb disk instead the printenv variable. I never try with Gcube..
>

> Regards
> ---
> Rino

Yes, In my case I test several models, and the worst scenario was when I need to find the hardware device name and use it to boot.
Link I used to understand how to search the device name.
https://sites.google.com/site/shawnhcorey/howto-boot-apple-powerpcs-from-a-usb-drive-in-open-firmware

And then in order to check if the device is correctly ready I use this link to understand how read the information of usb disk.
https://www.fenestrated.net/mirrors/Apple%20Technotes%20(As%20of%202002)/tn/tn2001.html

I know they are several official information, it is only my particular experience, I hope help someone.

Regards
---
Rondan Rino
Certificado en LPIC-3
LPI ID:LPI000209832
Verification Code:gbblvwyfxu
Red Hat Certified Engineer -- RHCE -- RHCVA

Phone: +1210 888 0738

Blog:http://www.itrestauracion.com.ar
Cv: http://cv.rinorondan.com.ar
http://counter.li.org  Linux User -> #517918
Viva La Santa Federacion!!
Mueran Los Salvages Unitarios!!
^^^Transcripcion de la epoca ^^^

Sent from ProtonMail, encrypted email based in Switzerland.

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:09 AM, Daniel Boyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I followed that guide and it did not work on my computer. OF wouldn’t recognize the thumb drive as a bootable medium — and I tried a bunch of different drives. That said, it’s certainly worth giving it a shot because it’s a lot simpler than TFTP/NFS. But after talking to some devs, it seems their experience was like mine: USB booting works on some Macs, but not others, hence the lack of official support.
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>

> > On Sep 26, 2018, at 7:10 AM, Rino Rondan [hidden email] wrote:
> > Yes, the link https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.3/macppc/INSTALL.macppc did not said nothing about usb, but you can make dd of cd iso and use usb disk like a disk with openfirmware
> > boot ide1:,ofwboot /bsd (example) at least work me in Ibook,powerbook,Macmini,Imac without any problem, you can use the printenv variable of usb disk, or you can search with ls the device tree and put the name of usb disk instead the printenv variable. I never try with Gcube..
> >

> > Regards
> >

> > --------
> >

> > Rino

Jordan Geoghegan

On 09/26/18 02:46, Lucas wrote:
> I recently got my hands on a 1.42GHZ Emac with a faulty disk drive, is it possible to use a usb or firewire external disk drive to install OpenBSD and if not is there another way to install OpenBSD on my Emac?
>
> Thanks.

I've had to deal with the same issue, the annoying kids of the emacs
previous owner felt the need to try and shove 2 CD's into the slot

If you are able to boot into MacOS, just download a bsd.rd and put it in
the root partition of the mac filesystem. OpenFirmware will then be able
to boot it with "boot hd:,ofwboot bsd.rd"

I have more than a dozen PowerPC devices, and this is how I have loaded
OpenBSD on most of them.

Cheers,
Jordan

Re: Installing openbsd on emac without disk drive?

Rino Rondan
ohh I never try that!! good approach!!

---
Rondan Rino

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 4:32 PM, Jordan Geoghegan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/26/18 02:46, Lucas wrote:
>

> > I recently got my hands on a 1.42GHZ Emac with a faulty disk drive, is it possible to use a usb or firewire external disk drive to install OpenBSD and if not is there another way to install OpenBSD on my Emac?
> > Thanks.
>

> I've had to deal with the same issue, the annoying kids of the emacs
> previous owner felt the need to try and shove 2 CD's into the slot
>

> If you are able to boot into MacOS, just download a bsd.rd and put it in
> the root partition of the mac filesystem. OpenFirmware will then be able
> to boot it with "boot hd:,ofwboot bsd.rd"
>

> I have more than a dozen PowerPC devices, and this is how I have loaded
> OpenBSD on most of them.
>

> Cheers,
> Jordan

publickey - rrondan@itrestauracion.com.ar - 0x2D1B9A57.asc (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Installing openbsd on emac without disk drive?

Ryan S. Northrup
Hi Lucas,

On September 26, 2018 2:46:43 AM PDT, Lucas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I recently got my hands on a 1.42GHZ Emac with a faulty disk drive, is
>it possible to use a usb or firewire external disk drive to install
>OpenBSD and if not is there another way to install OpenBSD on my Emac?
>
>Thanks.

If I remember right, USB worked fine on my eMac.  It's apparently hit or miss, but if you have a newer eMac (I think the 1.42GHz counts as "newer" here) you should be fine.  I don't remember needing to do anything *too* fancy on the OFW prompt, though (just a matter of finding the device; http://www.mediacaster.nl/usb_boot_imac_powerpc_g5.html is a good set of instructions, though you'll obviously need to boot bsd.rd instead of BootX ;) ).

FireWire should work without issue; I don't know how well OpenBSD *specifically* works with it (I don't have any FireWire drives on hand to test), but Macs themselves specifically support(ed) it (Firewire is to pre-Thunderbolt Macs as USB is to Wintel PCs in terms of native platform support / integration).

On that note, if you have another PC (e.g. another Mac) with a working FireWire port, it should be possible to put the eMac in Target Disk Mode, plug it into your other PC, and copy bsd.rd + the install files to your eMac (and boot bsd.rd via the OFW prompt).  This will work regardless of whether or not the eMac still has OS X installed at all, let alone in working condition.

Best of luck!
--
Ryan S. Northrup (RyNo)
[hidden email]