Quantcast

Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Flipchan
Hi I am trying to install openbsd on my MacBook air 2014. I have tried burning the  6.1 intel install61.iso to a USB and tried to boot from that but I have got zero success (burned it with dd like a normal os install). Does anyone know how to install openbsd on a MacBook air? The MacBook air don't detect the USB as a bootable device.


Take care and have a good day
--
Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Atanas Vladimirov
On 2017-05-16 10:49, flipchan wrote:
> Hi I am trying to install openbsd on my MacBook air 2014. I have tried
> burning the  6.1 intel install61.iso to a USB and tried to boot from
> that but I have got zero success (burned it with dd like a normal os
> install). Does anyone know how to install openbsd on a MacBook air?
> The MacBook air don't detect the USB as a bootable device.
>
>
> Take care and have a good day
Hi,
Try with install61.fs.
Regards.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Stefan Sperling-5
In reply to this post by Flipchan
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 07:49:51AM +0000, flipchan wrote:
> Hi I am trying to install openbsd on my MacBook air 2014. I have tried burning the  6.1 intel install61.iso to a USB and tried to boot from that but I have got zero success (burned it with dd like a normal os install). Does anyone know how to install openbsd on a MacBook air? The MacBook air don't detect the USB as a bootable device.
>
>
> Take care and have a good day

The first comment here indicates you may need to hold down the
Option key while booting: https://www.geeklan.co.uk/?p=1283o
And this also supports the idea: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

Good luck!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Flipchan
Hi the install61.fs boots up but it gets frozen giveing errors

Link to pic : https://www.file-upload.net/download-12501308/2017-05-1610.41.54.jpg.html


Maybe I'm missing something

On May 16, 2017 10:00:22 AM GMT+02:00, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 07:49:51AM +0000, flipchan wrote:
>> Hi I am trying to install openbsd on my MacBook air 2014. I have
>tried burning the  6.1 intel install61.iso to a USB and tried to boot
>from that but I have got zero success (burned it with dd like a normal
>os install). Does anyone know how to install openbsd on a MacBook air?
>The MacBook air don't detect the USB as a bootable device.
>>
>>
>> Take care and have a good day
>
>The first comment here indicates you may need to hold down the
>Option key while booting: https://www.geeklan.co.uk/?p=1283o
>And this also supports the idea:
>https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255
>
>Good luck!

--
Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Flipchan
I tried the snapshot install61.fs and it boots but it disables all my ports so that I can use the keyboard , anytips?

On May 16, 2017 10:43:39 AM GMT+02:00, flipchan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi the install61.fs boots up but it gets frozen giveing errors
>
>Link to pic :
>https://www.file-upload.net/download-12501308/2017-05-1610.41.54.jpg.html
>
>
>Maybe I'm missing something
>
>On May 16, 2017 10:00:22 AM GMT+02:00, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 07:49:51AM +0000, flipchan wrote:
>>> Hi I am trying to install openbsd on my MacBook air 2014. I have
>>tried burning the  6.1 intel install61.iso to a USB and tried to boot
>>from that but I have got zero success (burned it with dd like a normal
>>os install). Does anyone know how to install openbsd on a MacBook air?
>>The MacBook air don't detect the USB as a bootable device.
>>>
>>>
>>> Take care and have a good day
>>
>>The first comment here indicates you may need to hold down the
>>Option key while booting: https://www.geeklan.co.uk/?p=1283o
>>And this also supports the idea:
>>https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255
>>
>>Good luck!
>
>--
>Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev
--
Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev

IMG_20170516_130751.jpg (3M) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Stefan Sperling-5
In reply to this post by Flipchan
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 08:43:39AM +0000, flipchan wrote:
> Hi the install61.fs boots up but it gets frozen giveing errors
>
> Link to pic : https://www.file-upload.net/download-12501308/2017-05-1610.41.54.jpg.html

Sorry, I tried a few times, enabled some java script in firefox
along the way, and then gave up. I cannot see your image.

> Maybe I'm missing something

Please do not send image attachements, or links like this.

If you want help, please describe your problem in plain text.
If necessary type off your screen. Yes it feels very silly to do that,
but it saves everyone else a bit of time.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Flipchan
I boot it and it outputs

uhub0: device problem. disabling port 1,2,3,5,12

Welcome to the OpenBSD installing program:

And the nothing happens cuz I can't use my keyboard

On May 16, 2017 1:31:02 PM GMT+02:00, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 08:43:39AM +0000, flipchan wrote:
>> Hi the install61.fs boots up but it gets frozen giveing errors
>>
>> Link to pic :
>https://www.file-upload.net/download-12501308/2017-05-1610.41.54.jpg.html
>
>Sorry, I tried a few times, enabled some java script in firefox
>along the way, and then gave up. I cannot see your image.
>
>> Maybe I'm missing something
>
>Please do not send image attachements, or links like this.
>
>If you want help, please describe your problem in plain text.
>If necessary type off your screen. Yes it feels very silly to do that,
>but it saves everyone else a bit of time.

--
Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Flipchan
In reply to this post by Stefan Sperling-5
Here is the output:


first boot didnt work so i searched around and found this blog post http://www.sacrideo.us/openbsd-on-macbook/ and i tried typing in the mkdir commands i it booted

>>OpenBSD/i386 BOOT 3.31
boot>
boot>mkdir cd-dir
boot>cd cd-dir
boot>mkdir -p 4.2/i386
boot>mkdir -p etc
boot>cp ~/cdboot ~/cdbr ~/bsd.rd 4.2/i386
boot>config -ef 4.2/i386/bsd.rd

pci11 at ppb10 bus 4
ahci0 at pci11 dev 0 function 0 vendor "Marvell", unknown product 0x9183 rev 0x14: msi, AHCI 1.0
ahci0: port 0: 6.0Gb/s
scsibus0 at ahci0: 32 targets
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0:<ATA, APPLE SSD SD0128, A222> SCSI3 0/direct fixed naa.5001b44c33d7ff40
sd0: 115712MB, 512 bytes/sector, 236978176 sectors, thin
pcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0 "Intel 8 Series LPC" rev 0x04
"Intel 8 Series SMBus" rev 0x04 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 not configured
isa0 at pcib0
isadma0 at isa0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns8250, no fifo
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1
uhub0: device problem, disabling port 3
uhub0: device problem, disabling port 5
uhub0: device problem, disabling port 12

Welcome to the OpenBSD/i386 6.1 installation program:
(I)nstall, (Upgrade), (A)utoinstall or (S)hell

i cant do anything cuz my keyboard is disabled


On May 16, 2017 1:31:02 PM GMT+02:00, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 08:43:39AM +0000, flipchan wrote:
>> Hi the install61.fs boots up but it gets frozen giveing errors
>>
>> Link to pic :
>https://www.file-upload.net/download-12501308/2017-05-1610.41.54.jpg.html
>
>Sorry, I tried a few times, enabled some java script in firefox
>along the way, and then gave up. I cannot see your image.
>
>> Maybe I'm missing something
>
>Please do not send image attachements, or links like this.
>
>If you want help, please describe your problem in plain text.
>If necessary type off your screen. Yes it feels very silly to do that,
>but it saves everyone else a bit of time.

--
Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Stefan Sperling-5
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:22:18PM +0000, flipchan wrote:

> Here is the output:
>
>
> first boot didnt work so i searched around and found this blog post http://www.sacrideo.us/openbsd-on-macbook/ and i tried typing in the mkdir commands i it booted
>
> >>OpenBSD/i386 BOOT 3.31
> boot>
> boot>mkdir cd-dir
> boot>cd cd-dir
> boot>mkdir -p 4.2/i386
> boot>mkdir -p etc
> boot>cp ~/cdboot ~/cdbr ~/bsd.rd 4.2/i386
> boot>config -ef 4.2/i386/bsd.rd

These aren't commands for the boot loader. This guide recommends that
you create a custom ISO image. It's very outdated. I would not rely on it.
 
> Welcome to the OpenBSD/i386 6.1 installation program:

Please try amd64 instead of i386.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Flipchan
Yeah the amd64 works to install and it boots but it disabled all port includeing the keyboard:

I have tried both 6.1 6.0 and 5.9 all same
error: [drm:pid0:intel_uncore_check_errors] eERROR Unclaimed register before interupt
nvram invalid checksum
uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1,3,5,12



On May 16, 2017 3:49:57 PM GMT+02:00, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:22:18PM +0000, flipchan wrote:
>> Here is the output:
>>
>>
>> first boot didnt work so i searched around and found this blog post
>http://www.sacrideo.us/openbsd-on-macbook/ and i tried typing in the
>mkdir commands i it booted
>>
>> >>OpenBSD/i386 BOOT 3.31
>> boot>
>> boot>mkdir cd-dir
>> boot>cd cd-dir
>> boot>mkdir -p 4.2/i386
>> boot>mkdir -p etc
>> boot>cp ~/cdboot ~/cdbr ~/bsd.rd 4.2/i386
>> boot>config -ef 4.2/i386/bsd.rd
>
>These aren't commands for the boot loader. This guide recommends that
>you create a custom ISO image. It's very outdated. I would not rely on
>it.
>
>> Welcome to the OpenBSD/i386 6.1 installation program:
>
>Please try amd64 instead of i386.

--
Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Installing openbsd on MacBook air 2014

Joerg Jung

> On 17. May 2017, at 13:51, flipchan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yeah the amd64 works to install and it boots but it disabled all port includeing the keyboard:
>
> I have tried both 6.1 6.0 and 5.9 all same
> error: [drm:pid0:intel_uncore_check_errors] eERROR Unclaimed register before interupt
> nvram invalid checksum
> uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1,3,5,12

Are you sure that you bootet a amd64 6.1 or 6.0? If I remember correctly, the “nvram invalid checksum”
message was removed earlier.
Are your EFI/SMC/firmwares up2date (patched via OSX)? Does any other OS boot and work, e.g. can
you rule out that the hub is is not broken? I used similar MacBook Air's from various generations all
working fine here.

> On May 16, 2017 3:49:57 PM GMT+02:00, Stefan Sperling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:22:18PM +0000, flipchan wrote:
>>> Here is the output:
>>>
>>>
>>> first boot didnt work so i searched around and found this blog post
>> http://www.sacrideo.us/openbsd-on-macbook/ and i tried typing in the
>> mkdir commands i it booted
>>>
>>>>> OpenBSD/i386 BOOT 3.31
>>> boot>
>>> boot>mkdir cd-dir
>>> boot>cd cd-dir
>>> boot>mkdir -p 4.2/i386
>>> boot>mkdir -p etc
>>> boot>cp ~/cdboot ~/cdbr ~/bsd.rd 4.2/i386
>>> boot>config -ef 4.2/i386/bsd.rd
>>
>> These aren't commands for the boot loader. This guide recommends that
>> you create a custom ISO image. It's very outdated. I would not rely on
>> it.
>>
>>> Welcome to the OpenBSD/i386 6.1 installation program:
>>
>> Please try amd64 instead of i386.
>
> --
> Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev

Loading...