Installing modules from CPAN

William Thomas Orr
I know some OSes have a "right way" to install perl modules from CPAN.
Does OpenBSD have some similar methodology? I did some light
Google-ing, and I found this[1] post on the mailing list asking the
same question, but with no response.

Thanks a bunch

[1]http://openbsd.monkey.org/ports/200503/msg00100.html

-Will Orr

Re: Installing modules from CPAN

Lars Nooden-2
On 4/7/10 12:06 PM, Will wrote:
> I know some OSes have a "right way" to install perl modules from CPAN.
> Does OpenBSD have some similar methodology?

Check first in ports for packages, P5-*

        http://www.openbsd.org/4.6_packages/i386.html

If it's not there, you can make your own package:

        http://openbsd.org/faq/ports/guide.html

/Lars

Re: Installing modules from CPAN

Francesco Vollero
Il 07/04/10 11.06, Will ha scritto:

> I know some OSes have a "right way" to install perl modules from CPAN.
> Does OpenBSD have some similar methodology? I did some light
> Google-ing, and I found this[1] post on the mailing list asking the
> same question, but with no response.
>
> Thanks a bunch
>
> [1]http://openbsd.monkey.org/ports/200503/msg00100.html

There's /more than one way to do it/, now, OpenBSD is a Unix-like system
so:

* you can use the well known *BSD method: cd /usr/ports/; make search
name=ModuleName; cd dir; make install clean; and live happy
* you can use perl -MCPAN -e "shell" and write: install Module::Name ;
and you can live happy
* at shell, you can write: cpan and after install Module::Name; and you
can live happy
* you can download it from cpan.org, reading the INSTALL file and follow
those rules.

Have fun.

Francesco

//

Re: Installing modules from CPAN

Will-130
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Lars Nooden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/7/10 12:06 PM, Will wrote:
>>
>> I know some OSes have a "right way" to install perl modules from CPAN.
>> Does OpenBSD have some similar methodology?
>
> Check first in ports for packages, P5-*
>
>        http://www.openbsd.org/4.6_packages/i386.html
>
> If it's not there, you can make your own package:
>
>        http://openbsd.org/faq/ports/guide.html
>
> /Lars

Thanks for your speedy replies. In my original post, I meant
specifically modules not in ports/packages, but you guys answered my
question anyway.

Guess I'll learn how to build my first port.

--
-Will Orr

CPB

Lars Nooden wrote:

> On 4/7/10 12:06 PM, Will wrote:
>> I know some OSes have a "right way" to install perl modules from CPAN.
>> Does OpenBSD have some similar methodology?
>
> Check first in ports for packages, P5-*
>
>     http://www.openbsd.org/4.6_packages/i386.html
>
> If it's not there, you can make your own package:
>
>     http://openbsd.org/faq/ports/guide.html
>
> /Lars

More serious question about ports. What about needing a newer version of
a perl module than is in packages?

I ask because I had an application that needed a newer version.
When I looked into it, a lot of non-perl stuff was tied into it that was
beyond my ability to work with.

Admittedly, this isn't the case very often.

But, I like the idea of creating my own package instead of just using
CPAN. I hadn't thought of that.

Chris Bennett

   -- Robert Heinlein

On 4/7/10 2:42 PM, Chris Bennett wrote:
> More serious question about ports. What about needing a newer version of
> a perl module than is in packages?

The first step would be to move to -current, because -stable must keep
the versions it is published with, and check the ports@ list.

> ... I like the idea of creating my own package instead of...

It's a good idea out of laziness, if for no other reason, because
manually trying to mix-and-match applications both with a package
manager and from elsewhere will eventually return at some inconvenient
time to bite hard on some very soft parts.

/Lars

CPB

Lars Nooden wrote:

> On 4/7/10 2:42 PM, Chris Bennett wrote:
>> More serious question about ports. What about needing a newer version of
>> a perl module than is in packages?
>
> The first step would be to move to -current, because -stable must keep
> the versions it is published with, and check the ports@ list.
>
>> ... I like the idea of creating my own package instead of...
>
> It's a good idea out of laziness, if for no other reason, because
> manually trying to mix-and-match applications both with a package
> manager and from elsewhere will eventually return at some inconvenient
> time to bite hard on some very soft parts.
>
> /Lars

Yes, I've seen that when updating packages. I've been using only
-current for a while now. I will do this for now on. Seems completely
worth the effort.

   -- Robert Heinlein