Installation Questions

Simon Ironside
Hi all,

My Japanese Zaurus SL-C3100 has arrived and I've got started with the
OpenBSD install following INSTALL.zaurus.

I struggled a bit getting the OpenBSD package onto the zaurus (I am
using only the kit that came in the box no additional CF/SD memory cards
or network interfaces.) I managed to get the package installed on the
zaurus by:

1. Installing a copy of Apache on my Windows desktop and creating a
local copy in htdocs of OpenBSD/3.8/zaurus
2. Setting the zaurus' USB mode to IP.
3. Connecting it to my Windows PC and installing the USB Network drivers
from the zaurus CD.
4. Installing the package as per INSTALL.zaurus and using my PCs zaurus
interface IP as the url.

As I understand it, this will only have copied and installed the
contents of openbsd38_arm.ipk yes?

What I'm worried about is shooting myself in the foot as far as the rest
of the installation goes if there is no OpenBSD support for using the
USB Network to connect to my local "mirror" for the remainder of the
installation.

I've chickened out of continuing! So - my questions are:

1. Is this USB Network method supported during the OpenBSD installation?
2. If not, should I copy the rest of my "mirror" to the msdos partition
on the zaurus using the USB connection in mass storage device mode
before continuing with the installation?
3. Is it possible to use the whole disk for OpenBSD (ie, can you ditch
the Linux and msdos partitions?) Or is some/all still required to boot
correctly?

Thanks,
Simon

Re: Installation Questions

Niall O'Higgins
On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 12:29:48AM +0000, Simon Ironside wrote:
> My Japanese Zaurus SL-C3100 has arrived and I've got started with the
> OpenBSD install following INSTALL.zaurus.
>
> I struggled a bit getting the OpenBSD package onto the zaurus (I am
> using only the kit that came in the box no additional CF/SD memory cards
> or network interfaces.) I managed to get the package installed on the
> zaurus by:

When I first got my C3100 I toyed around just like this too...

> 1. Installing a copy of Apache on my Windows desktop and creating a
> local copy in htdocs of OpenBSD/3.8/zaurus
> 2. Setting the zaurus' USB mode to IP.
> 3. Connecting it to my Windows PC and installing the USB Network drivers
> from the zaurus CD.
> 4. Installing the package as per INSTALL.zaurus and using my PCs zaurus
> interface IP as the url.
>
> As I understand it, this will only have copied and installed the
> contents of openbsd38_arm.ipk yes?
>
> What I'm worried about is shooting myself in the foot as far as the rest
> of the installation goes if there is no OpenBSD support for using the
> USB Network to connect to my local "mirror" for the remainder of the
> installation.
>
> I've chickened out of continuing! So - my questions are:
>
> 1. Is this USB Network method supported during the OpenBSD installation?

No.

> 2. If not, should I copy the rest of my "mirror" to the msdos partition
> on the zaurus using the USB connection in mass storage device mode
> before continuing with the installation?

I seem to remember installing just like this myself, it took a lot of
juggling. I'd strongly recommend getting a CF wireless device (or some
other USB/CF NIC) for $30 and doing the install like that, or buying a CF
card and installing the sets from wd1. Seriously, walking to the nearest
shop and buying some NIC or CF disk for $30 is worth it to save yourself
the hassle.

> 3. Is it possible to use the whole disk for OpenBSD (ie, can you ditch
> the Linux and msdos partitions?) Or is some/all still required to boot
> correctly?

You can use the whole microdrive for OpenBSD, but that will blow away
QTopia. You can still access the "rescue" linux thing if you need it -
and use this to boot a bsd.rd stored on SD or CF, if you really screw up.

Of course, who wants crappy QTopia when you've got OpenBSD?

> Thanks,
> Simon

Re: Installation Questions

On 2005/11/22 00:29:48, Simon Ironside wrote:
> 1. Is this USB Network method supported during the OpenBSD installation?

No, OpenBSD only runs the USB as a host, not as a target (as you need for
this method).

> 2. If not, should I copy the rest of my "mirror" to the msdos partition
> on the zaurus using the USB connection in mass storage device mode
> before continuing with the installation?

If you don't have a Zhost cable and access to USB/ethernet or USB/802.11,
or a 802.11 CF card (a /really/ useful accessory for a Z), perhaps you could
write the installation files to a CF flashcard instead?

Otherwise you will play some games under Linux to place the installation
files on the MSDOS partition and have it sized suitably to leave enough space
for OpenBSD on the rest of the disk.

> 3. Is it possible to use the whole disk for OpenBSD (ie, can you ditch
> the Linux and msdos partitions?) Or is some/all still required to boot
> correctly?

I think I'm correct in saying that you should leave the Linux partition.

Re: Installation Questions

Simon Ironside
Niall O'Higgins wrote:

Hi Niall,

 > I seem to remember installing just like this myself, it took a lot of
 > juggling. I'd strongly recommend getting a CF wireless device (or some
 > other USB/CF NIC) for $30 and doing the install like that, or buying a CF
 > card and installing the sets from wd1. Seriously, walking to the nearest
 > shop and buying some NIC or CF disk for $30 is worth it to save yourself
 > the hassle.

I have a CF wireless nic on the way from an ebay transaction, it's not
yet arrived - I just have "new toy" syndrome and don't have the patience
to wait for it! Maybe it will be here tomorrow.

 > You can use the whole microdrive for OpenBSD, but that will blow away
 > QTopia. You can still access the "rescue" linux thing if you need it -
 > and use this to boot a bsd.rd stored on SD or CF, if you really screw up.
 >
 > Of course, who wants crappy QTopia when you've got OpenBSD?

My thoughts exactly, I'll blow it away then and use the whole disk.

Thanks for the advice,
Simon

Re: Installation Questions

Sam Hart-2
On 22 Nov 2005, at 01:07, Stuart Henderson wrote:

>> 3. Is it possible to use the whole disk for OpenBSD (ie, can you
>> ditch
>> the Linux and msdos partitions?) Or is some/all still required to
>> boot
>> correctly?
>
> I think I'm correct in saying that you should leave the Linux
> partition.

Although I take no responsibility if I am wrong,
I believe on a C-3100 you should be alright to nuke them.

On a C-3000 they should be left alone.

S a m

Re: Installation Questions

Jean-Philippe Leconte
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:07:44 -0500, Sam Hart <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 22 Nov 2005, at 01:07, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>
>>> 3. Is it possible to use the whole disk for OpenBSD (ie, can you ditch
>>> the Linux and msdos partitions?) Or is some/all still required to boot
>>> correctly?
>>
>> I think I'm correct in saying that you should leave the Linux partition.
>
> Although I take no responsibility if I am wrong,
> I believe on a C-3100 you should be alright to nuke them.
>
> On a C-3000 they should be left alone.
>

> S a m

In fact, I'm using OpenBSD on my C3000 since zaudio works, and I always
used the whole disk. To reinstall/update, you can boot using the B+D
trick, and in case the boot disk doesn't work, complete reinitialization
with D+M should work.

JP