IRC Server Setup and Configuration HowTo

IRC Server Setup and Configuration HowTo

Tito Mari Francis Escano-2
Good day!

In our office we use irc-hybrid on CentOS4.4 as IRC server. I plan to
use OpenBSD 3.9 as my test IRC server with the provided irc-2.10.3p1
package.

Can anybody on the list provide me with pointers to howto's how to
configure this IRC server in OpenBSD? You're help would be very much
appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Re: IRC Server Setup and Configuration HowTo

Girish Venkatachalam-2
On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 06:05:02PM +0800, Tito Mari Francis Esca?o wrote:
> Good day!
Good day to you too! :-)

> In our office we use irc-hybrid on CentOS4.4 as IRC server. I plan to
> use OpenBSD 3.9 as my test IRC server with the provided irc-2.10.3p1
> package.
>
> Can anybody on the list provide me with pointers to howto's how to
> configure this IRC server in OpenBSD? You're help would be very much
> appreciated.

I setup my OpenBSD machine as a standalone irc server as well as a bitlbee gateway. I think bitlbee has trampled all over my irc setup. :-)

But it was very simple to do since right now I care two hoots about security.

The config file is attached. It just works but I am damn sure there are plenty of gaping security holes in it.

Hope this helps.

The P: lines tell you which all lines ircd listens for irc connections.

Good luck!

regards,
Girish

$grep -v ^# /etc/ircd/ircd.conf

M:girish.ftpaccess.cc::Chennai West Mambalam:6667
A:Girish Venkatachalam, Chennai:Girish Venkatachalam <[hidden email]>:Test IRC server::
P::::6667:
P::::194:
P::::529:
Y:1:90::100:512000:1:1
I:*:::*:1

Great people are not defined by ability but by nobility

Re: IRC Server Setup and Configuration HowTo

Jim Dew
On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 06:05:02PM +0800, Tito Mari Francis Escaqo wrote:

> Good day!
>
> In our office we use irc-hybrid on CentOS4.4 as IRC server. I plan to
> use OpenBSD 3.9 as my test IRC server with the provided irc-2.10.3p1
> package.
>
> Can anybody on the list provide me with pointers to howto's how to
> configure this IRC server in OpenBSD? You're help would be very much
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much.

Well, kind of good news is I ported ircd-hybric and hybserv2 a while ago.
Based on the freebsd ports of the same:

http://www.yggdrasil.ca/openbsd/ports/ircd-hybrid.tgz
http://www.yggdrasil.ca/openbsd/ports/hybserv2.tgz

Jim

--
"Most moms teach their daughters how to run a house, but you?  You teach
yours the fine art of mass destruction."