IPv6, OpenBSD and .. Mac OS X Lion

Tor Houghton
List,

I'm successfully dishing out IPv6 connectivity to iPads and Androids,
but the Macs on the network refuse to acknowledge that the OpenBSD 5.1
system can provide IPv6 routing for it. Seems Apple have decided that rtsol
is not the way to go:

        $ sudo rtsold en1
        rtsold: kernel is configured not to accept RAs

I realise that this is more of a Mac issue than an OpenBSD issue (well, it
is completely a Mac issue), but I was hoping there were some folks out there
who have encountered the same.

I'm going to go ahead and try anyway, but is wide-dhcp6 from 2008(?) the way
to go (I am assuming I can still run radvd simultaneously)?

Kind regards,

Tor

Re: IPv6, OpenBSD and .. Mac OS X Lion

Mark Felder-4
That's odd... I swear my wife's macbook has had functional IPv6 for quite
a while... unless the recent Lion update nuked it and I didn't notice?

Please report your findings -- I'd love to fix this at home if it's broken.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:32:52PM -0500, Mark Felder wrote:
> That's odd... I swear my wife's macbook has had functional IPv6 for
> quite a while... unless the recent Lion update nuked it and I didn't
> notice?
>
> Please report your findings -- I'd love to fix this at home if it's broken.

I'm still looking; wide-dhcp6 is running, but Lion is not playing ball.

Also I came across this: http://thuktun.wordpress.com/2012/03/08/ipv6-and-macos-x-lion-hampered-eyeballs/

So even if I get it to configure IPv6, it may never want to make that
choice, it seems. Yay.

(I can hear the snickering of past postings about Mac OS in the background
already! :-)

Tor

Re: IPv6, OpenBSD and .. Mac OS X Lion

Simon Perreault-3
On 07/12/2012 02:41 PM, Tor Houghton wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:32:52PM -0500, Mark Felder wrote:
>> That's odd... I swear my wife's macbook has had functional IPv6 for
>> quite a while... unless the recent Lion update nuked it and I didn't
>> notice?
>>
>> Please report your findings -- I'd love to fix this at home if it's broken.
>>

> I'm still looking; wide-dhcp6 is running, but Lion is not playing ball.

FYI, it works for us over here. OpenBSD router running rtadvd, Macs
running default config. Never needed to do anything special on the Macs.
Just defaults everywhere.

Simon
--
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

Re: IPv6, OpenBSD and .. Mac OS X Lion

Christian Weisgerber
Tor Houghton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm successfully dishing out IPv6 connectivity to iPads and Androids,
> but the Macs on the network refuse to acknowledge that the OpenBSD 5.1
> system can provide IPv6 routing for it.

That can't be.  This has worked for years, and without any configuration
on the Mac side.  On the OpenBSD gateway I just have

rtadvd_flags="vr0"

in rc.conf.local.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 03:02:55PM -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:

> On 07/12/2012 02:41 PM, Tor Houghton wrote:
> >On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:32:52PM -0500, Mark Felder wrote:
> >>That's odd... I swear my wife's macbook has had functional IPv6 for
> >>quite a while... unless the recent Lion update nuked it and I didn't
> >>notice?
> >>
> >>Please report your findings -- I'd love to fix this at home if it's broken.
> >>

> >I'm still looking; wide-dhcp6 is running, but Lion is not playing ball.
>
> FYI, it works for us over here. OpenBSD router running rtadvd, Macs
> running default config. Never needed to do anything special on the
> Macs. Just defaults everywhere.

Thanks! It looks like http://ipv6int.net/systems/mac_os_x-ipv6.html has
been of help.

Tor

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 08:27:34PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Tor Houghton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm successfully dishing out IPv6 connectivity to iPads and Androids,
> > but the Macs on the network refuse to acknowledge that the OpenBSD 5.1
> > system can provide IPv6 routing for it.
>
> That can't be.  This has worked for years, and without any configuration
> on the Mac side.  On the OpenBSD gateway I just have
>
> rtadvd_flags="vr0"
>
> in rc.conf.local.

Aye, there must be some "selfmutilation" going on wrt to the Macs; a
reinstall of 10.7 (but migrating of data, I might add), still doesn't fix
the issue. If they are booted into Recovery mode, they are OK.

Thanks for all your replies.

Tor

Re: IPv6, OpenBSD and .. Mac OS X Lion

Rogier Krieger
Here, it took a few iterations of properly reading the rtadvd.conf(5)
manual, but the various Mac devices over here (OS X v10.6+, iOS v5+)
properly get addresses and DNS servers assigned.

My setup:
Addresses here are assigned over rtadvd(8); DNS information over
DHCPv6. With the recent patch to rtadvd, the latter component could
actually be phased out. I suppose that's easier.

One thing I ran into: correctly set raflags to accurately reflect your
network's situation. For mine, a value of 64 was needed (address:
rtadvd; DNS: DHCPv6). Until I properly set this, my systems (Win7 and
Mac alike) discarded the DHCPv6 info they received. See rtadvd.conf(5)
for the correct values to use.

If you use rtadvd exclusively, you'll need another value for raflags,
of course. See the manual.

Regards,

Rogier