IPMI still requires Java! I'm screwed.

webmaster
I found a new server that uses IPMI and offers using it
to setup your own custom OS. So I bought in.

Damn thing requires Java.
They offered me some pretty worthless advice on using
Java.

I'm screwed into having to use Windows 7.
I've tried the Firefox ESR 32bit that supports Java.
Nope.
Opera. Nope
Edge. Nope
Chrome. Nope, including trying to use IEtab

Is it actually possible to get any web browser to
open a Java applet?

I'm using a friends laptop and it can't stay on while
in the BIOS or after booting OpenBSD just to the point
of running memtest.

I'm a bit confused about what to do.
They offer IPMI that won't work without Java.

Is this even anything more than a scam??
I don't know squat about windows other than it sucks.

Serious question:
Is it acceptable practice to offer remote access that
cannot be used?

Re: IPMI still requires Java! I'm screwed.

torsten
NO,
Just download ipmiview from SM and use the build in viewer and all is OK
The power can still be managed  with the web site.

IPMI vire requires java.exe on your PC but rund independently of any browser

Re: IPMI still requires Java! I'm screwed.

kasak

> 21 дек. 2017 г., в 0:03, Chris Bennett <[hidden email]> написал(а):
>
> I found a new server that uses IPMI and offers using it
> to setup your own custom OS. So I bought in.
>
> Damn thing requires Java.
> They offered me some pretty worthless advice on using
> Java.
>
> I'm screwed into having to use Windows 7.
> I've tried the Firefox ESR 32bit that supports Java.
> Nope.
> Opera. Nope
> Edge. Nope
> Chrome. Nope, including trying to use IEtab
>
> Is it actually possible to get any web browser to
> open a Java applet?
>
> I'm using a friends laptop and it can't stay on while
> in the BIOS or after booting OpenBSD just to the point
> of running memtest.
>
> I'm a bit confused about what to do.
> They offer IPMI that won't work without Java.
>
> Is this even anything more than a scam??
> I don't know squat about windows other than it sucks.
>

> Serious question:
> Is it acceptable practice to offer remote access that
> cannot be used?

Look at the newest servers with aspeed ast2500, such as supermicro x11 platforms, they are manageable through html5. If you still need to manage your server try jdk-1.8.0.144v0.tgz package from ports

Re: IPMI still requires Java! I'm screwed.

Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
We manage to deal with all our servers using the IPMI serial console redirect.  You might need to set it up in the BIOS once, although we've not had to do that in ages.  You do have to create the IPMI remote login/password, but you need that anyway if you're trying to use the web/java console.

--lyndon

Re: IPMI still requires Java! I'm screwed.

Maxim Bourmistrov-5

Even X10 can be upgraded to get in html5.

Just by updating firmware?  What a pity, Asus hasn’t upgraded firmwares to support html5, I have some of them in usage with p10 platforms

Re: IPMI still requires Java! I'm screwed.

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
Yepp.
I have
bios0: Supermicro X10DRT-PT
With latest IPMI firmware and have html5.

> 21 dec. 2017 kl. 12:00 skrev kasak <[hidden email]>:
>

>> 21 дек. 2017 г., в 12:16, Maxim Bourmistrov <[hidden email]> написал(а):
>>

>> Even X10 can be upgraded to get in html5.

>>> Look at the newest servers with aspeed ast2500, such as supermicro x11 platforms, they are manageable through html5. If you still need to manage your server try jdk-1.8.0.144v0.tgz package from ports
>>>

> Just by updating firmware?  What a pity, Asus hasn’t upgraded firmwares to support html5, I have some of them in usage with p10 platforms

Re: IPMI still requires Java! I'm screwed.

Robert Blacquiere-7
On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 08:50:02AM +0300, kasak wrote:
<snip>

> Look at the newest servers with aspeed ast2500, such as supermicro x11 platforms, they are manageable through html5. If you still need to manage your server try jdk-1.8.0.144v0.tgz package from ports

You could also try running linux in vm with icedtea-Web plugin for
firefox on linux. That seems to work with older SuperMicro machines
without much issues. Also the bundled IPMIviewer for linux works fine.
The main issue is with the IPMI (from ATEN) is it uses iKVM.jar which is
not supported for a lot of OS-ses.

Regards

Robert

Re: IPMI still requires Java! I'm screwed.

Alceu R. de Freitas Jr.
 I'm a bit late to answer, but maybe you could check with the manufacturer?
Java applets are gone... Oracle will not support them anymore due security issues, so maybe the manufacturer could give you a hand on this.
If they don't, maybe you could try some reverse engineering? Unless the manufacturer spent time (and money) running the Java applet into some code obfuscation software, there are good chances you can checkout what's the code does. Or even using a network sniffer, whatever seems to be easier.
Of course, none of those are easy/fast ways to get your trouble resolved. That's why sucks to buy things with proprietary code attached. If they decide to not support the product anymore, you're screwed.
    Em quinta-feira, 21 de dezembro de 2017 14:33:27 BRST, Robert Blacquiere <[hidden email]> escreveu:

 On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 08:50:02AM +0300, kasak wrote:
<snip>

> Look at the newest servers with aspeed ast2500, such as supermicro x11 platforms, they are manageable through html5. If you still need to manage your server try jdk-1.8.0.144v0.tgz package from ports

You could also try running linux in vm with icedtea-Web plugin for
firefox on linux. That seems to work with older SuperMicro machines
without much issues. Also the bundled IPMIviewer for linux works fine.
The main issue is with the IPMI (from ATEN) is it uses iKVM.jar which is
not supported for a lot of OS-ses.

Regards

Robert

Re: IPMI still requires Java! I'm screwed.

webmaster

Right now,I only have access to an old laptop a friend is letting me use
that runs Windows 7. It is too broken to change OS.

I finally did find a way to get things to work.
The Firefox ESR 32bit still allows Java. Mozilla is going to drop this
ESR
If you install Java 7, it has the medium security option still.
So it works. Really lousy internet connection here. I really pointed
this out to the owner and he says he is going to call the company.
I still can't get the server to connect over the network itself.
I did manage to finally install base plus the bsd's.
I'm going to start a new thread about this problem.

Chris Bennett

Re: IPMI still requires Java! I'm screwed.

x9p-2

On Thu, December 21, 2017 1:22 pm, Robert Blacquiere wrote:

> You could also try running linux in vm with icedtea-Web plugin for
> firefox on linux. That seems to work with older SuperMicro machines
> without much issues. Also the bundled IPMIviewer for linux works fine.
> The main issue is with the IPMI (from ATEN) is it uses iKVM.jar which is
> not supported for a lot of OS-ses.
>
> Regards
>
> Robert

true. VMD+alpine+x11vnc runs in probably very old/crappy hardware, dunno if will run the jar
though.
in the past i preferred HP servers with iLO remote management.

cheers.

x9p | PGP : 0x03B50AF5EA4C8D80 / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

On 2017-12-21, Robert Blacquiere <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 08:50:02AM +0300, kasak wrote:
><snip>
>> >
>> Look at the newest servers with aspeed ast2500, such as supermicro x11 platforms, they are manageable through html5. If you still need to manage your server try jdk-1.8.0.144v0.tgz package from ports
>>
> You could also try running linux in vm with icedtea-Web plugin for
> firefox on linux. That seems to work with older SuperMicro machines
> without much issues. Also the bundled IPMIviewer for linux works fine.

Some of these work with the version of noVNC ("bmc-support" branch)
that is in ports.