IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with it.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with it.

chefren
The Netherlands

We have a brand new IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with
it. We are interested in working 32 and 64 versions of OpenBSD for the
basic M4 frame with 4 Intel i350 Ethernet ports. FreeBSD drivers for
the i350 seem to be available.

We presume the work consists of porting the driver and checking/fixing
the interrupt setup.


It's a basic version of the very silent and nicest build 1U server we
have ever seen (truly state of the art). As an extra there is a dual
10Gbit Ethernet card inserted with SPF+ ports, (we don't need those
working).


The person who gets the latest version of OpenBSD-5.1 working within a
reasonable time frame and makes the working source code available to
the community may have it.

If you can make us believe you can fix the problem sooner than someone
else we will be happy to send the machine to you if needed.

If you just send us working code, better! After approval we will send
the machine FOB to the address you want.

+++chefren

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with it.

Bryan Steele-2
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 03:20:08PM +0200, chefren wrote:

> The Netherlands
>
> We have a brand new IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with
> it. We are interested in working 32 and 64 versions of OpenBSD for the
> basic M4 frame with 4 Intel i350 Ethernet ports. FreeBSD drivers for
> the i350 seem to be available.
>
> We presume the work consists of porting the driver and checking/fixing
> the interrupt setup.
>
> It's a basic version of the very silent and nicest build 1U server we
> have ever seen (truly state of the art). As an extra there is a dual
> 10Gbit Ethernet card inserted with SPF+ ports, (we don't need those
> working).
>
> The person who gets the latest version of OpenBSD-5.1 working within a
> reasonable time frame and makes the working source code available to
> the community may have it.
>
> If you can make us believe you can fix the problem sooner than someone
> else we will be happy to send the machine to you if needed.
>
> If you just send us working code, better! After approval we will send
> the machine FOB to the address you want.
>
> +++chefren

This isn't a donation, this is a job listing.

-Bryan.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with it.

Benny Lofgren
On 2012-05-16 18.16, Brynet wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 03:20:08PM +0200, chefren wrote:
>> The Netherlands
>> We have a brand new IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with
>> it. We are interested in working 32 and 64 versions of OpenBSD for the
>> basic M4 frame with 4 Intel i350 Ethernet ports. FreeBSD drivers for
>> the i350 seem to be available.
>
> This isn't a donation, this is a job listing.
>

On the other hand I didn't see anything in the original post claiming
it to be a donation. It rather looked to me as the machine was to become
(advance) payment for services rendered. :-)

Just out of curiosity I'd like to see dmesg:s on the machine to see what
works and what doesn't. It would probably also make it easier for those
thinking about taking up the offer to assess its feasibility.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally quite like these
kinds of deals. For the community it's a win-win, although it does of
course put some pressure to actually deliver on those taking the offers.
I would suggest drawing up a contract beforehand for the benefit of both
parties.

(Also, perhaps this mailing list generally isn't the right place for job
offers, I don't know.)


Regards,
/Benny

--
internetlabbet.se     / work:   +46 8 551 124 80      / "Words must
Benny Lofgren        /  mobile: +46 70 718 11 90     /   be weighed,
                    /   fax:    +46 8 551 124 89    /    not counted."
                   /    email:  benny -at- internetlabbet.se

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with it.

chefren
In reply to this post by Bryan Steele-2
Dear Bryan and others,

On 16-05-12 18:16, Brynet wrote:
> This isn't a donation, this is a job listing.

To all who see it that way, not intended as such, please accept my
apologies.

Of course we would be happy with the code, and are certainly willing
to pay for it. But it's also to get hardware available for OpenBSD
that I think is really the best available at this moment. We will use
OpenBSD less if this hardware stays unsupported.

If seen as a job, for someone who is handy with porting PCI drivers
and bringing up new hardware it is intended to be "well paid". I'm
open to discussion about this, but not here!

Sorry for the noise,

+++chefren

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with it.

chefren
In reply to this post by Benny Lofgren
On 16-05-12 18:48, Benny Lofgren wrote:
> Just out of curiosity I'd like to see dmesg:s on the machine to see what
> works and what doesn't. It would probably also make it easier for those
> thinking about taking up the offer to assess its feasibility.

In general a good question, but since the Intel i350 is not supported
yet and the interrupt routing seems a mess this is not so appropriate.

Boot from the (i386) install CD gives:

ioapic0 at ...
ioapic1 at ...
acpimcfg0 at acpi0 addr 0x0...0, bus, 0-255
panic: pci_make_tag: bad request


'boot -c' with 'disable acpi' "works".


Booting from AMD-64 gives about the same chaos.

+++chefren

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with it.

Theo de Raadt
A good way to get non-working machines to work, is to offer it to
someone who can make it work.

The wrong way is to dangle it as a reward for whoever makes it work,
when they don't have the hardware.  If they had the hardware, they'd
make it work.  If they had the hardware, maybe they don't want another.

> On 16-05-12 18:48, Benny Lofgren wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity I'd like to see dmesg:s on the machine to see what
> > works and what doesn't. It would probably also make it easier for those
> > thinking about taking up the offer to assess its feasibility.
>
> In general a good question, but since the Intel i350 is not supported
> yet and the interrupt routing seems a mess this is not so appropriate.
>
> Boot from the (i386) install CD gives:
>
> ioapic0 at ...
> ioapic1 at ...
> acpimcfg0 at acpi0 addr 0x0...0, bus, 0-255
> panic: pci_make_tag: bad request
>
>
> 'boot -c' with 'disable acpi' "works".
>
>
> Booting from AMD-64 gives about the same chaos.
>
> +++chefren

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with it.

chefren
On 16-05-12 19:20, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> A good way to get non-working machines to work, is to offer it to
> someone who can make it work.

Of course, I did, but the people I contacted have no time or have
probably no time.

> The wrong way is to dangle it as a reward for whoever makes it work,
> when they don't have the hardware.  If they had the hardware, they'd
> make it work.

See original posting, we are willing to send a machine to a person
with enough indications that this person might be able to fix within a
not too long time frame, no problem.

If for example you say "I presume I can fix this in about 3 weeks",
please send me the street address and you will have the machine there
within a few day's.

>  If they had the hardware, maybe they don't want another.

See the original posting, when someone has it working already and is
willing to send us working code, and that might well be the case, that
person may choose where we should sent the machine to, or money, I
don't care.

+++chefren

(In the mean time we decided we don't need the 32 bit implementation
anymore, 64 bit only is OK for us.)


>> On 16-05-12 18:48, Benny Lofgren wrote:
>>> Just out of curiosity I'd like to see dmesg:s on the machine to see what
>>> works and what doesn't. It would probably also make it easier for those
>>> thinking about taking up the offer to assess its feasibility.
>>
>> In general a good question, but since the Intel i350 is not supported
>> yet and the interrupt routing seems a mess this is not so appropriate.
>>
>> Boot from the (i386) install CD gives:
>>
>> ioapic0 at ...
>> ioapic1 at ...
>> acpimcfg0 at acpi0 addr 0x0...0, bus, 0-255
>> panic: pci_make_tag: bad request
>>
>>
>> 'boot -c' with 'disable acpi' "works".
>>
>>
>> Booting from AMD-64 gives about the same chaos.
>>
>> +++chefren

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Taken! [Re: IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with it.]

chefren
In reply to this post by chefren
Thanks to all, we found someone, the machine will be sent off Friday
morning at 9:00 and I presume it will be sure within a few weeks that
we won't see it ever again.

+++chefren

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Taken! [Re: IBM-M4 available for getting OpenBSD working with it.]

Maxim Bourmistrov-5
On 05/16/2012 09:58 PM, chefren wrote:

> Thanks to all, we found someone, the machine will be sent off Friday
> morning at 9:00 and I presume it will be sure within a few weeks that
> we won't see it ever again.
>
> +++chefren
>


Great to hear!
Hopefully those 10G-cards will also get some drivers.

//maxim